Check your account email address ×

2 Fatalities In Vilas County

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, Doug said:

I just put this on a Wisconsin Snowmobile facebook page.  We'll see what type of responses it gets

The deaths we’re seeing so far are very sad to the family, friends and the sport.   It’s very sad.  But there is other factors than speed and alcohol that play into unsafe conditions on the trails.

Sled maintenance.  How many have had somebody slide from the inside of the corner out to your side of the trails?  Everybody.  The operator has the skis turned as far as the can and the sled just slides in your lane.  When was the last time the runners were checked on their sleds?  Is there any left or are they worn down to the skis?  I work on sleds and it amazes me how much this is over looked and when you bring it up the owner they don’t want to spend $80.00 to keep a sled in control going around a corner.  Keeping a sled in control on the trail is upmost of safety.

Slower riding groups.  I think it’s great when you see families out for a nice ride.  Kids riding 2 up great to see.  When you notice a sled coming up behind you simple pull over in a safe spot and let them by.  Simple trail manners.  If you’re trying to keep them behind you chances are you putting yourself in a bad situation and riding over your head.  Just let them by.  For the leader of these groups when see a group of sleds that are behind your group when you stop at a stop sign let them by.  DON’T quick go and try to get your group to ride faster to stay ahead.  You’re now putting your whole group into a bad situation.  Motion for your group to pull over and let the quicker group go by. 

Good post but slower riders aren't causing accidents.  Your sled going where you point it is huge.  I've always said for beginner riders....make sure they are warm and make sure the sled goes quickly where its steered and reality the 2nd point is critical for every sled.  

Reality is head on collisions causing death are relatively rare.   All you have to do is look at the statistics most deaths are getting hit by a car (which absolutely baffles me) to the most common collision with a stationary object (most likely a tree).      

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Bingo…a newbie buys a new 850 and doesn’t realize now quickly you can end up in the cabbage or worse.

Yep, these new sleds are lightning quick. I just read the WI DNR report on this current Vilas accident. The 43 year old was at fault, he was coming around a slightly uphill curve and was way on the wrong side of the trail wiping both sleds out and ejecting both riders. I smell a lawsuit on this one.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, snoughnut said:

Yep, these new sleds are lightning quick. I just read the WI DNR report on this current Vilas accident. The 43 year old was at fault, he was coming around a slightly uphill curve and was way on the wrong side of the trail wiping both sleds out and ejecting both riders. I smell a lawsuit on this one.

Goddamn….I’m honestly surprised there aren’t more accidents and fatalities…from what I read on FB there are ALOT of close calls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Bingo…a newbie buys a new 850 and doesn’t realize now quickly you can end up in the cabbage or worse.

My 32 year old daughter who grew up on sleds as a kid recently says to me, "i want to go snowmobiling again".  She's a mother of 2 now, and I honestly wouldn't want her to.  I barely trust myself out there on the main trails with all the yahoos out there.

• Like 4

On 2/2/2023 at 8:15 PM, racinfarmer said:

There is a reason I wear a Tekvest and a reason we've been riding the places less traveled. 

Mostly no northern WI, no UP, no Norf Shore, etc.

Too many close calls the last 2-3 years.  Put a helmet on and forget how to behave like a normal human.  

When the buffoons' on MN Snowmobilers ask where to go, I always tell them Brainerd and the Norf shore.  Always.

I got pushed off a left hand turn last week. not real high speed and luckily plenty of room to run off. Guy came around the corner first in his group completely on the left side berm. I turned out right and he ran right over my tracks about 10 feet behind me. Never slowed down or looked back. His buddies ignored my hand salutations as they passed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, Badger** said:

Unforgettable.  

50872889999.jpg

On 2/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, Jerry 976 said:

Honest question, Where did you get that picture from???

That picture looks a like a pic posted on HCS years ago by SmokinShift600cfi (Kyle) when his dad was killed in a head on accident at night on Indian Lake in New York??? I'm Not saying it's the same Picture but reminded me about Kyle's father getting killed and the person who hit his dad head on and the assholes riding with the other guy who died taking off. Kyle stayed on the ice with his deceased father and the other person while his wife rode to shore for help. I'm trying to find in this thread and the other thread in the general snowmobile forum on here where it says the accident left two people dead on the ice???? Do you happen to have any links or info to go with your picture above???

@Badger** I'll ask you again Rob, where did you get that Picture from??

All of the internet searches and Google searches I've looked at for Snowmobile accidents 2022-2023 in Vilas County NONE of them say anything about 2 people lying dead on the ice or a picture like yours to go with the news articles. I reached out to someone on HCS and they are looking around the forums for the thread about SmokinShift600cfi (Kyle) dad's accident on Indian Lake in New York. I told the person I reached out to the thread may have been deleted per Kyle's request for pending legal reasons or it may have gotten deleted or it's possible in one of the software upgrades and changes the thread might still be there but the picture(s) are gone.

Why would you post a picture like that if it has nothing to do with the current accidents that have happened in Vilas County????

On 2/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, HSR said:

Very sad but why would someone take a pic when there is people laying dead?

I'm sure the families wouldn't appreciate the scene being posted, seems morbid.

I'm pretty sure that is a pic SmokinShift600cfi (Kyle) took while waiting for help and to document as much as he could before things got moved around. It's Possible the thread(s) and pics on HCS got deleted for pending legal reasons....I/we don't have access to that kind of info anymore.... 

13 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

All of the internet searches and Google searches I've looked at for Snowmobile accidents 2022-2023 in Vilas County NONE of them say anything about 2 people lying dead on the ice or a picture like yours to go with the news articles. I reached out to someone on HCS and they are looking around the forums for the thread about SmokinShift600cfi (Kyle) dad's accident on Indian Lake in New York. I told the person I reached out to the thread may have been deleted per Kyle's request for pending legal reasons or it may have gotten deleted or it's possible in one of the software upgrades and changes the thread might still be there but the picture(s) are gone.

Why would you post a picture like that if it has nothing to do with the current accidents that have happened in Vilas County????

This one appears to be the one that happened on Lake Gogebic in Michigan a couple years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug said:

This one appears to be the one that happened on Lake Gogebic in Michigan a couple years ago.

Thank you Doug, I still don't get why he would post that pic if it has Nothing to do with the recent accidents in Vilas County???

21 minutes ago, Doug said:

I can't find the pic but a quick google search someone said the pic is posted on DooTalk, I couldn't find that pic on there either, but thanks again Doug Tooo many accidents we've all read about over the years on theses forums.......

49 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

I can't find the pic but a quick google search someone said the pic is posted on DooTalk, I couldn't find that pic on there either, but thanks again Doug Tooo many accidents we've all read about over the years on theses forums.......

We were up in the area and rode the lake earlier in the day the day it happened in 2019.  Word spread pretty fast. There was some similar pics floating around after it happened of the sleds burning.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, Badger** said:

Unforgettable.  

50872889999.jpg

On 2/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, Jerry 976 said:

Honest question, Where did you get that picture from???

That picture looks a like a pic posted on HCS years ago by SmokinShift600cfi (Kyle) when his dad was killed in a head on accident at night on Indian Lake in New York??? I'm Not saying it's the same Picture but reminded me about Kyle's father getting killed and the person who hit his dad head on and the assholes riding with the other guy who died taking off. Kyle stayed on the ice with his deceased father and the other person while his wife rode to shore for help. I'm trying to find in this thread and the other thread in the general snowmobile forum on here where it says the accident left two people dead on the ice???? Do you happen to have any links or info to go with your picture above???

On 2/5/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jerry 976 said:

:dunno:

27 minutes ago, HSR said:

Maybe you're on ignore?? @Badger** ?? 

:dunno:

https://www.medicinenet.com/what_are_the_signs_of_aspergers_in_adults/article.htm

Signs of Asperger's in adults

Asperger’s, like autism, was mostly noticeable in interactions with other people. A person who has been diagnosed with Asperger’s or mild autism is usually not unhappy when alone. Mild autism doesn’t mean someone can’t keep a job, care for themselves, or start a family if they choose to do so .

The difficulty people with mild autism experience in certain social situations can, however, be distressing. Here are some signs of mild autism you may notice in yourself or others:

Social awkwardness

Adults with mild autism may come off as socially awkward. They may not understand the back-and-forth nature of conversations. One common behavior is unintentionally talking too much about yourself or your interests and not allowing the other person time to talk. 

People with mild autism also tend to miss social cues including facial expressions and body language. They may give off the impression that they are uninterested in or not paying attention to social interaction.

Difficulty understanding jokes or sarcasm

Some adults with the sort of mild autism that was once diagnosed as Asperger’s have a hard time understanding jokes, colloquial phrases, or sarcasm because they take things more literally. A colloquial phrase like “riding shotgun” — meaning to ride in the front seat of the car — may cause confusion.

One study found that teenage boys with Asperger’s syndrome preferred jokes with simpler endings, but still wanted to laugh and make others laugh. People with mild autism may have a different sense of humor from other people, but they still have a sense of humor.

Challenges making or keeping friends

Due to social difficulties, adults with autism may have few friends. They may find it challenging to spend time with people, preferring to spend time alone, immersed in their interests. 

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
On 2/5/2023 at 12:20 PM, Jerry 976 said:

I remember that pic on HCS as well. :dunno:

28 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I remember that pic on HCS as well. :dunno:

Me too :dunno: I'm wondering why Badger just won't come and answer? Very weird.

If you call me an asshole or something I'm sure he'll "like" that post and see this.

• Gold Member

My Wife loves sledding but I am so nervous when we are out there with all the idiots on the weekend. 

I try to take the less traveled trails . I wish she could ride mid week but her schedule wont allow it at this time. 

• Like 1

Just now, EvilBird said:

My Wife loves sledding but I am so nervous when we are out there with all the idiots on the weekend. 

I try to take the less traveled trails . I wish she could ride mid week but her schedule wont allow it at this time. 

Good friend of mine was out west years ago doing a trail ride day with the wife and they met some Rickey Racers one of which landed on his wife breaking her collarbone,cracked ribs and very beat up.She doesn't ride anymore. Good thing is she's breed Labradors now and that's where I got Webber from.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, HSR said:

Good friend of mine was out west years ago doing a trail ride day with the wife and they met some Rickey Racers one of which landed on his wife breaking her collarbone,cracked ribs and very beat up.She doesn't ride anymore. Good thing is she's breed Labradors now and that's where I got Webber from.

Wow thats fucked up. 

Shit happens fast out there . She had a little mix up this weekend and bailed on a bad corner . Didn't get hurt but it was a reminder to both of us how things go bad quick. 

I lost to many friends in my life to Snowmobiling its an issue that hits home hard. That picture I posted is all you need to know two people died, I have talked about it before so there is no need to bring it up again but maybe you will remember that pic for the rest of your snowmobiling career.