Check your account email address ×

2023 Polaris Assault Boost First Ride Review

10 hours ago, joe_zrt said:

Big lugs and big studs get the job done. Not a fan of stock tracks in snow on the 4 stroke turbos. 

I have about 600 miles on my Expedition Extreme 900 R now.  I know its not going to be a top end monster, and thats not why I bought it.  But I will say it hooks up like no modern sled I've ever owned short of a full on drag sled.  180 hp and 20x154x1.8 just digs out of the hole hard in loose or groomed snow.  Hard pan or ice ,probably not but again, I didn't buy it for drag racing..  I am looking forward to lining up against some other sleds for at least some shorter distances though.

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, Hub said:

Highmark

IS your sled out of break in mode?

I would assume its getting thru it....not sure if their is a way to tell on the gauge like you can the Doo's.  Think I'm right at 500 miles...unsure on hours or which way Polaris counts it down.   I have read where guys are saying they aren't really waking up until after 750 miles.   

12 hours ago, joe_zrt said:

Do the factory gauges read boost, or anyone have a gauge on one? 3lbs would be about right from a factory warrantied machine on pump fuel at sea level range

Boost gauge but only mode I've been using show's an increasing bar.....pretty much useless.

For studs I'm running 3 per bar (153) 1.63 triggers with Stud Boy Pro series single backers.   Track is the 1.35.   I'm satisfied with the hook this setup provides.   The 1.63 puts me about 1/2-5/8" above the lug.  I do wish I went with the 1.86's. 

I'm hoping when breaking is done it changes when the boost comes in.   Guys running the Bikeman +10 and +20 tune really claim this is where the tune makes a difference.   

My butt dyno is telling me that the boost comes in and exhaust valves open at the same time right around 6200.   When riding in the 5800-7000 range you can feel when that hits roughly at 6200.  If Poo keeps that late onset of the boost even after BE I will definitely be doing a tune of some sort.  I was always surprised on the Winder the difference that made from trail to race tunes of the same HP.  You wouldn't think you could tell with how fast the RPM climbs but you can.  

Edited by Highmark

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

For studs I'm running 3 per bar (153) 1.63 triggers with Stud Boy Pro series single backers.   Track is the 1.35.   I'm satisfied with the hook this setup provides.   The 1.63 puts me about 1/2-5/8" above the lug.  I do wish I went with the 1.86's. 

I'm hoping when breaking is done it changes when the boost comes in.   Guys running the Bikeman +10 and +20 tune really claim this is where the tune makes a difference.   

My butt dyno is telling me that the boost comes in and exhaust valves open at the same time right around 6200.   When riding in the 5800-7000 range you can feel when that hits roughly at 6200.  If Poo keeps that late onset of the boost even after BE I will definitely be doing a tune of some sort.  I was always surprised on the Winder the difference that made from trail to race tunes of the same HP.  You wouldn't think you could tell with how fast the RPM climbs but you can.  

The torque management schemes all the stock turbo sleds use are annoying as fuck. When you’ve ridden aftermarket turbo sleds and felt how violent a turbo can hit when it’s fully unrestricted by tuning it’s an eye opener. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The torque management schemes all the stock turbo sleds use are annoying as fuck. When you’ve ridden aftermarket turbo sleds and felt how violent a turbo can hit when it’s fully unrestricted by tuning it’s an eye opener. 

Yep. 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yeah and that's when shit breaks. Probably why they don't do that, they leave that to you so they don't have to warranty it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Yeah and that's when shit breaks. Probably why they don't do that, they leave that to you so they don't have to warranty it

Really don't think adding some boost a few thousand rpm lower is significantly harder on the motor...maybe a bit on the drivetrain but honestly if the components are that on the edge they are built too weak to begin with.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Really don't think adding some boost a few thousand rpm lower is significantly harder on the motor...maybe a bit on the drivetrain but honestly if the components are that on the edge they are built too weak to begin with.

I was referring to the drivetrain, not specifically the engine. That 850 will most likely take some abuse, its pretty beefy

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

It’s a safeguard against detonation mostly 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:21 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Honestly, unless you’re using some sort of large chisel type designed stud, I don’t know what a super long stud is even doing for traction with say a 1.5” lugged track, in a loose snow/trail type surface. I mean, maybe it’s doing a little something and once the track spins down to something resembling ice it’s doing more but that’s about it. I think a storm track would be fun with a bigger CC trail sled but with usual Michigan conditions, you’d probably be overheating too much with that much lug, to even make it worth it. 1-1/4 with studs would be better all around. 

Same sled.  1.75" BC ran way cooler than a 1.25 studded ripsaw in low snow conditions....always. So much more fun with a big track than lots of studs although both would be killer if it worked.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Turns out old triple pipes are still faster in the twisties than new sleds 

And way fucking shittier to ride.  Rather obvious that old shit will turn faster, but have to be a mongoloid to want to ride one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Same sled.  1.75" BC ran way cooler than a 1.25 studded ripsaw in low snow conditions....always. So much more fun with a big track than lots of studs although both would be killer if it worked.

And way fucking shittier to ride.  Rather obvious that old shit will turn faster, but have to be a mongoloid to want to ride one.

I am a mongoloid. I’ve mentioned numerous times that I’m built like a Neanderthal 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I’ve ridden 500 miles on a 1.75BC in the last week. I’d rather kill myself than suffer that worthless piece of shit 1 mile longer than I have to. It is like dragging a fucking boat anchor around , it vibrates at trail speeds and is genuinely useless. I hate it as much as a ripsaw1 

Edited by f7ben

9 hours ago, Anler said:

That 800 has a SLP single and is well clutched.   My Brother had one and they run very STRONG. 

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I can’t see the video , what happened 

2 sleds look to be running down a trail going 50ish.....punch it pretty much at the same time....Boost takes about a sled length lead then the 800 slowly comes back and passes.

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

2 sleds look to be running down a trail going 50ish.....punch it pretty much at the same time....Boost takes about a sled length lead then the 800 slowly comes back and passes.

Well there’s no excuse for that at any level. A full bolt on perfectly dialed 800ho in any trim should not be in the same zip code as a fucking turbo 850. 

Im riding an slp stage 2 800ho right now and if I bought a boost and it didn’t put bus lengths on this 800ho I’d kill myself 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well there’s no excuse for that at any level. A full bolt on perfectly dialed 800ho in any trim should not be in the same zip code as a fucking turbo 850. 

Im riding an slp stage 2 800ho right now and if I bought a boost and it didn’t put bus lengths on this 800ho I’d kill myself 

Just put a few hundred miles on my old assault this weekend. I love that machine!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Don't disagree the Boosts are not running as expected. 

Most of our trails end up with an ice/hard base. A studded short lug track always seems to run cooler on them. I wouldn’t want a BC track for trail riding either for the same reasons, noise and lack of traction on icy trails. 

10 hours ago, ACE said:

Turns out old triple pipes are still faster in the twisties than new sleds 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, ACE said:

I am a mongoloid. I’ve mentioned numerous times that I’m built like a Neanderthal 

So you have ree-tard strength?

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Don't disagree the Boosts are not running as expected. 

Shocker.  The preseason hype isn't turning out as expected.  SSDY.