Check your account email address ×

The “Re-education” of Canada

Free speech is under increasing attack in Canada. Over the past decade, ideologically emboldened political leaders, activists, and professional regulators have narrowed the field of allowable discourse and sought to punish any expression that ventures outside it.

The latest threat to free speech in Canada involves an Ontario College of Psychologists (OCP) investigation of clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson for allegedly harming various individuals for his public comments on Twitter and The Joe Rogan Experience podcast. Examples of Peterson’s supposed crimes on social media include calling for an end to unscientific, discriminatory vaccine mandates, retweeting Canada’s Conservative Party leader Pierre Poilievre, and lambasting Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau.

One complainant submitted the full transcript of Peterson’s four-hour interview with Rogan last year, claiming that his statements on faulty climate-change models and the dangers of promoting radical gender theory violated the professional code of conduct for psychologists accredited with the OCP. Peterson stands accused of “undermining” his profession by speaking “on areas well outside his areas of competence” and making “problematic, unethical or unprofessional” comments.

For these transgressions, the OCP has mandated that Peterson take a remedial course in social-media communications with a board-issued therapist. The OCP has also demanded that he make the following public statement: “I may have lacked professionalism in public statements and during a January 25, 2022 podcast appearance.” He must abide by this requirement or face the possibility of losing his license to practice clinical psychology.

In a new essay, Peterson highlights the preposterousness of the demands: “t is difficult to communicate with as many people as I do and to say anything of substance without rubbing at least a few of them the wrong way now and then.” Remarkably, he has never had direct contact with any of the complainants, and the criticisms levied against him have nothing to do with his work in clinical psychology. Rather, they are virtually all critiques of his public comments on cultural, political, and social topics.

The most troubling element of the OCP’s action against Peterson is its “unidirectionally explicitly political” nature, as Peterson puts it. “Every single thing I have been sentenced to correction for saying is insufficiently leftist, politically,” he says. It would be hard to imagine any professional organization publicly reprimanding a member, for example, for supporting police abolition, the Black Lives Matter movement, or sex-reassignment surgeries for minors.

https://www.city-journal.org/jordan-peterson-and-the-re-education-of-canada

We’re quickly becoming under the control of full blown neoliberal fascism. But both large cities and the news are begging for it to happen. Trudeau has even flirted with saying that people who disagree with him shouldn’t be tolerated, and the news just claps like seals for some reason 

where this is going to end I don’t know. But it’s getting bad and Toronto and Quebec will still vote him in 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ACE said:

We’re quickly becoming under the control of full blown neoliberal fascism. But both large cities and the news are begging for it to happen. Trudeau has even flirted with saying that people who disagree with him shouldn’t be tolerated, and the news just claps like seals for some reason 

where this is going to end I don’t know. But it’s getting bad and Toronto and Quebec will still vote him in 

Just googled this. Looks alot closer in Quebec than you think from your last election. 

Screenshot_20230109_075952.jpg

3 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Just googled this. Looks alot closer in Quebec than you think from your last election. 

Screenshot_20230109_075952.jpg

It’s changed some for the better but how anyone can vote for that authoritarian asshole is beyond me 

but there’s a fair amount of people that think we’re all going to die if Trudeau doesn’t get elected 

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

It’s changed some for the better but how anyone can vote for that authoritarian asshole is beyond me 

but there’s a fair amount of people that think we’re all going to die if Trudeau doesn’t get elected 

Man Ontario sounds like a dystopian hellhole.....

8 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Don't lump us rural Ontarians in with the Citiots.

Problem is, there are more of them than us.

Even Federal elections are won and lost in the Toronto area.

The polls aren't closed even half way across the country and the election is decided.

It's infuriating for Westerners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Don't lump us rural Ontarians in with the Citiots.

Problem is, there are more of them than us.

Even Federal elections are won and lost in the Toronto area.

The polls aren't closed even half way across the country and the election is decided.

It's infuriating for Westerners.

I apologize.  I have a cousin who lives in Mississauga or somewhere thereabouts, and he drinks the Trudeau koolaid for sure.  :lol:  I live in CT, it ain't any better here, we're controlled by the public sector unions and the Democrats.

22 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

It was pretty funky, even in northern Ontario last year, than what I’m use to. Suppose to be back up there next month for work. Guess we will see what it all looks like post their Covid bullshit.