Check your account email address ×

BRP SkiDoo Handlebar Muff Modification

Long story made short I have Raynaud's in a few fingers and am on blood thinners.  My fingers and hands get cold easily to say the least.  I use full sized windshields on my sleds but at times even with Klim Tundra mitts and the bar warmers on high it's not enough on my brake finger(s).  Towards the end of the season last year I switched up my combo trying with a thinner glove and SkiDoo handlebar muffs I had purchased several years ago which was an ideal combo for me, nice and toasty fingers.  After a few rides I remembered why I hated them.  BRP in their infinite wisdom utilized a christmas tree dart at the end of the handlebar that pokes through the rubber hole at the end of the (hooked) handlebar grip.  The darts kept falling out (hooked bars) and then the muff would flop around at the end of the handlebar.  So, I chewed on this dilemma during the off season and set out to come up with a solution.  Here's what I came up with and it seems secure thus far.

Cut off and remove plastic christmas tree dart from the muffs

Trim off bar hook end rubber (because the grip is longer than the actual bar) and you want it to sit flush with the end on the handlebar itself

Insert screw and cap through the muff (perfect size), slide the rubber that mushrooms inside the bar over the screw and thread the catch nut on a few turns until touching

Slide the muff while open over the bar, push catch nut and rubber into the handlebar firmly and tighten allen screw until snug

Check to verify the plug doesn't come out of the handlebar easily 

Repeat on the opposite side

Before installing the plugs I also inserted foam backer rod inside the bars to help retain heat.  Some use wine corks but I'm a beer drinker.  :)

FYI, the left side bar hook end has a sharper bend to it and the catch nut and insert wouldn't fully slide in without some manipulation so out came a socket and plastic end mallet and I tapped the insert in until it was secure and the screw could still reach, trimmed the rubber a tad and it's as snug as a bug in a rug.  I used multiple swear words and the lady walking her dog past our house must have thought there was someone in the trailer with tourette syndrome. 

https://shop.ski-doo.com/us/en/860201144-handlebar-muffs.html

https://www.amazon.com/Domain-Cycling-Handlebar-Expanding-Adjustable/dp/B084DBLW1N/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8C9GYTD42BCL&keywords=domain+cycle+carbon+end+plugs&qid=1669480725&sprefix=domain+cycle+carbon+end+plugs%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-5

IMG_20221126_091236322.jpg

IMG_20221126_091253311.jpg

IMG_20221126_091608001.jpg

IMG_20221126_091426907.jpg

IMG_20221126_102236435.jpg

IMG_20221126_102202461.jpg

IMG_20221126_102448317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221126_105611867_HDR.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

24 minutes ago, Badger** said:

As you get older this happens, one of the better investment I have made was the Ski-Doo gauntlets. Nice job C2C. :bc: You just keep doing whatever it takes to keep riding. :thumb:

155829984_4116805158332034_8026051123585820325_n.jpg

blue jeans don't keep you warm bro... :lmao:

wtf is up with the wheels, are those like training wheels?

where's the handicapped parking sticker?

just fucking with ya' ;)

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

blue jeans don't keep you warm bro... :lmao:

wtf is up with the wheels, are those like training wheels?

where the handicapped sticker?

just fucking with ya' ;)

I have six or seven blocks of black top to ride before I hit the trails. Honestly you can do 35 mph and you can turn on a dime.:bc: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I have six or seven blocks of black top to ride before I hit the trails. Honestly you can do 35 mph and you can turn on a dime.:bc: 

Oh, those things.  I just ride through peoples yards.  :) 

I applaud your adult windshield though.  IDK how people ride around comfortably with those speedometer cover eyebrow things. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

do they ever fall off at the end of the bars?

ooooffff.  Same muffs, same problem.  I like your solution, except for leaving the bar ends open.  My fingers are prone to getting cold for sure.

53 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

ooooffff.  Same muffs, same problem.  I like your solution, except for leaving the bar ends open.  My fingers are prone to getting cold for sure.

The rubber plugs fill the holes, all sealed shut, all good.  There's other styles available but these measured out correctly for my application. 

Screenshot_20221126-133953.png

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

How fast can you take them on and off?  I only use mine when it is below -10 or so as I sweat like crazy otherwise.  They are always in my bag though to put on when necessary.  I weave the straps around my cables and don't use the push nut and they mostly stay in position but this would fix them for sure.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

How fast can you take them on and off?  I only use mine when it is below -10 or so as I sweat like crazy otherwise.  They are always in my bag though to put on when necessary.  I weave the straps around my cables and don't use the push nut and they mostly stay in position but this would fix them for sure.

2.5mm allen screw... and done.

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Wasn't sure if some of the expletives were getting them on.....now if I can pull the stock grips and put the rubber underneath them so that there is no extra protrusion at the end unless the muffs are on I will be happy.  Like your solution.

the expletives were from the sharper bend at the end of the left side of the bar.  I had to tap the metal piece into position.  it's not going to move again.

2 minutes ago, krom said:

carbon fiber for the win..

Those rubber things are called "well nuts" anyone wants to find them without paying for the carbon fiber washers.

sort've, I have plenty of access to well nuts in either metal or rubber.  these worked better due to the inside diameter of the bar.  it was $15... I waste that much flushing the toilet in the morning.  :)

I have never used muffs or gauntlets before or any of that.  But I got some this summer to optionally use on cold rides.  They attach with velcro.  Not sure if they will stay attached well when riding.  Seems like some people like them.  Bolting to the end seems more secure, I'll have to see how mine work.