Check your account email address ×

Plastic recycling a "failed concept,"

My town is #1 & #2 for plastics, you can't put it in a plastic bag it has to go into the plastic container they provide and when the recycle truck empties it's load if X amount of the load is not #1 or #2 they take the load to the landfill and charge the town for the rejected load. They take paper & cardboard, they take steel and aluminum cans, no glass, you have to take glass to a designated part of town where they have a large dumpster for just glass.

32 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Jeesh I wonder why only 5% lol. My town we have mandatory recycling but It’s gotta have a #1 and only clear but not thin clear and only a bottle lol what a joke we throw out 90% of the crap

I'd go along with the recyclable glass bottles like we had in the 70's/80's... and in Michigan you pay a deposit for your cans and bottles.  

We're just not creative here...

5 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

My town is #1 & #2 for plastics, you can't put it in a plastic bag it has to go into the plastic container they provide and when the recycle truck empties it's load if X amount of the load is not #1 or #2 they take the load to the landfill and charge the town for the rejected load. They take paper & cardboard, they take steel and aluminum cans, no glass, you have to take glass to a designated part of town where they have a large dumpster for just glass.

:thumbsup: most here are totally ignorant to the reality of where their 'feel good' recycling goes, how it's recycled if it's actually recyclable and what happens when it's not.  Frontline did a good report on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plastic-recycling-failed-concept-us-greenpeace-study-5-percent-recycled-production-up/

who'd have thunk it?  

pretty obvious people don't care about Italian Americans 

Yeah he wasn't even indian, just like that Littlefeather bitch 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

:thumbsup: most here are totally ignorant to the reality of where their 'feel good' recycling goes, how it's recycled if it's actually recyclable and what happens when it's not.  Frontline did a good report on it.

I was in on the start of recycling in our area, we accecpted milk jugs, laundry soap bottles, tin cans, newspapers and cardboard. we also accepted clear glass, and brown glass, when we started brown glass was broken and put in burlap bags in cab as we didn't have enough compartments on the trucks, now everything around here is single sort, glad I don't pick those blue boxes up anymore was pain in the ass sorting all that shit curbside

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

If you pay the extra fee for recycling around here with GFL they have a habit of putting it in the same truck as the trash

most of those trucks are split compartment, 1/2 trash, 1/2 recycle, "combo trucks",  if it has a split hopper it is a combo truck

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

I was in on the start of recycling in our area, we accecpted milk jugs, laundry soap bottles, tin cans, newspapers and cardboard. we also accepted clear glass, and brown glass, when we started brown glass was broken and put in burlap bags in cab as we didn't have enough compartments on the trucks, now everything around here is single sort, glad I don't pick those blue boxes up anymore was pain in the ass sorting all that shit curbside

They just dump it all in the same truck around me, one truck picks up trash and the other truck is for recycle and according to them it's sorted out at the recycling depots.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

most of those trucks are split compartment, 1/2 trash, 1/2 recycle, "combo trucks",  if it has a split hopper it is a combo truck

That's supposed to be the case but a bunch of residents have claimed it's not that type of truck that has come by. The township just east of me dropped GFL after too many complaints. Hell I'm just happy when they don't forget to pick up my stuff every week

4 hours ago, Skidooski said:

That's supposed to be the case but a bunch of residents have claimed it's not that type of truck that has come by. The township just east of me dropped GFL after too many complaints. Hell I'm just happy when they don't forget to pick up my stuff every week

Id be happy if they didn’t bust up my trash can.  I’m ready to wait at the curb to see if we have some problem.  :dunno:

12 hours ago, HSR said:

I recycle my empty beer cans, $0.10 a pop!! Just got two free cases!!!:lol:

The fuckers charge a .10 cent deposit on beer bottles/cans in Nova Scotia and you either put them in recycling bags or return them to a depot and only get .05 back. Water at Costco is $6.99 and a $4 deposit and the bottles end up in recycling.

12 hours ago, HSR said:

I recycle my empty beer cans, $0.10 a pop!! Just got two free cases!!!:lol:

Around me you get about 47/48 cents per pound for scrap cans, they caught a few people scrapping cans that had small rocks in the cans, banned from the scrap yard. You have to show your I.D. when scrapping here so they pass your info onto the other scrap yards so you are pretty much banned from all scrap yards around here if you get busted trying to cheat the scrap yard or trying to cash in stolen items. There was a couple who got busted stealing bronze vases from a cemetery by me, they got busted in Ohio cashing them in, the shit people will do for their drug addiction's.