Jump to content

PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, woodyf said:

You just made my son's day! Thanks, you're the best!

Awesome! Glad I could help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not work related...or sled related, but you guys are like family...weird, fkd up family..   It's official, gonna be a grandpa!!

The latest from OFSC https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ofsc.on.ca/2021/01/13/no-change-for-ofsc-snowmobile-trails-at-this-time/__;!!ABXyrcI!d_5m4cSF8YAk49Aw06fTm6pmiARd2vFlu4Uzm1DN6nRl8b0NZ

All, As in the previous FS I am willing to lend my expertise like any others on this forum.  I will attempt to answer any and all relevant question you have regarding sleds, ATVs and general enfo

Posted Images

My son sold his ATV and is now shopping for a dirt bike.

Many of the bikes on Kijiji where never registered but have the original bill of sale.

These owners state they only used it on their private property. I think they been raced and driven hard. 

Can he bring the original bill of sales to the mto to register the bike? Anyway of tracing a vin to find out if it's stolen property?

Any advice on  shopping for dirt bikes would be appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, woodyf said:

My son sold his ATV and is now shopping for a dirt bike.

Many of the bikes on Kijiji where never registered but have the original bill of sale.

These owners state they only used it on their private property. I think they been raced and driven hard. 

Can he bring the original bill of sales to the mto to register the bike? Anyway of tracing a vin to find out if it's stolen property?

Any advice on  shopping for dirt bikes would be appreciated.

Yes, the bill of sale and possibly an affidavit should work.  If the bike has never been registered it wouldn't show as stolen in the MTO database.  It could however appear in the CPIC database.  

Sean

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I have a question about drinking on a boat.  I know it is illegal but if people are drinking on the boat and the captain is not and completely sober, can he still be issued a ticket for allowing it?  I heard a guy got nailed for "allowing" his wife to drink on their boat. $300 fine.   Is that true?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I have a question about drinking on a boat.  I know it is illegal but if people are drinking on the boat and the captain is not and completely sober, can he still be issued a ticket for allowing it?  I heard a guy got nailed for "allowing" his wife to drink on their boat. $300 fine.   Is that true?

Thanks

As the captain or master of the vessel you are legally responsible for what goes on aboard.  So yes, it is possible that the captain was charged.  But not $300.  It would be $215 total for operate vessel underway with open alcohol.  Most guys I know will ticket an individual and not the captain.  Or if there are multiple people drinking and the interaction is good I (me) will use our allowed discretion and let one person come forward to take the actual ticket and encourage the others to chip in.  Usually this would be a $125 total fine for open alcohol in public.  

 

Sean

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Sean, I honestly wish there were more good cops, like you. Lots of common sense, and very, very fair. Thanks for being who you are.

Thanks!!  Very much appreciate that!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, odot1 said:

As the captain or master of the vessel you are legally responsible for what goes on aboard.  So yes, it is possible that the captain was charged.  But not $300.  It would be $215 total for operate vessel underway with open alcohol.  Most guys I know will ticket an individual and not the captain.  Or if there are multiple people drinking and the interaction is good I (me) will use our allowed discretion and let one person come forward to take the actual ticket and encourage the others to chip in.  Usually this would be a $125 total fine for open alcohol in public.  

 

Sean

Thanks man for the info. I'll second what frosty said. 

Have a good one!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Dumb question of the day.

Quoted from Faceplant:

Quote

steel toes are actually against the law to wear while driving , but yes appropriate footwear is needed

I've been driving since '77 or '78 & never heard of this until today. Barefoot yes.

File this along with the "it's illegal to leave the trailer hitch installed" nonsense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Dumb question of the day.

Quoted from Faceplant:

I've been driving since '77 or '78 & never heard of this until today. Barefoot yes.

File this along with the "it's illegal to leave the trailer hitch installed" nonsense?

Definitely not illegal.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Is it still law in Ontario to wear a motorcycle helmet?  I saw a dude not wearing one and thought they changed it for everyone now. 

Sadly, it's a two tiered law now.  If you are Sikh and wearing your turban you are exempt on a motorcycle on a highway both as defined by the Highway Traffic Act.  I know this is a sensitive and controversial topic...so I ask that all comments are respectful in this thread as the usual caveat applies...if it goes off the rails I'll lose my permission to post.  And remember.. Indid not create this law (or any others) I'm simply a nessenger.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Sadly, it's a two tiered law now.  If you are Sikh and wearing your turban you are exempt on a motorcycle on a highway both as defined by the Highway Traffic Act.  I know this is a sensitive and controversial topic...so I ask that all comments are respectful in this thread as the usual caveat applies...if it goes off the rails I'll lose my permission to post.  And remember.. Indid not create this law (or any others) I'm simply a nessenger.  

No worries, I hear it may change to everyone in the future? Have you heard that?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renegade X said:

No worries, I hear it may change to everyone in the future? Have you heard that?

I haven't heard anything official. But I do know from history that laws that exclude or favor a specific group generally do not pass a charter test very well.   It's also tough as an officer (my experience only) to morally/ethically charge one person for something while letting the guy beside him go free only because of two tiered laws. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odot1 said:

I haven't heard anything official. But I do know from history that laws that exclude or favor a specific group generally do not pass a charter test very well.   It's also tough as an officer (my experience only) to morally/ethically charge one person for something while letting the guy beside him go free only because of two tiered laws. 

Thanks again for the info!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Hey Sean, what is the definition of a turban ? Would a tied up oversize hanky do ? LOL

Ha!!  I'm thinking probably not.....  Good ingenuity tho.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stoney said:

How is one confirmed to be Sikh?

You cannot verify that. I am for helmet laws, we have socialized medicine and disability. We have to pay for those that smash there heads. Now if they had to buy private insurance to cover this and were excluded from any tax payer funded service or benefit given due to a preventable head injury, then do as you please. I know this. Insurance companies cannot ask your religion when offering a quote.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Does the Turban rule apply to snowmobiles as well?

No, the amendment applied only to the Highway Traffic Atc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of helmets, here's a new one. (As a cyclist I shake my head when I see 'riders' wearing a ball cap under their helmet. Not really sure how that would work out on impact)

Now to today, two older couples ride by on 4 Harleys. The second 'woman' and I use that term loosely, was wearing a baseball cap under her open face helmet. We've heard grumbling about the police checking helmet straps at spot checks on the trail. Discussion has gone back and forth about whether this is for checking for helmet secureness and/or booze on the operators breath.

Now to my question Sean, what would your opinion be of a motorcycle rider w/ this kind of 'headgear'? I've seen guys wearing doo rags or bandanas but I don't think they'd really affect how secure the helmet would be on the head (much like a balaclava in the winter). I'm thinking that it would be difficult to make sure the helmet was tight on the noggin with an irregularly thickness in between.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Speaking of helmets, here's a new one. (As a cyclist I shake my head when I see 'riders' wearing a ball cap under their helmet. Not really sure how that would work out on impact)

Now to today, two older couples ride by on 4 Harleys. The second 'woman' and I use that term loosely, was wearing a baseball cap under her open face helmet. We've heard grumbling about the police checking helmet straps at spot checks on the trail. Discussion has gone back and forth about whether this is for checking for helmet secureness and/or booze on the operators breath.

Now to my question Sean, what would your opinion be of a motorcycle rider w/ this kind of 'headgear'? I've seen guys wearing doo rags or bandanas but I don't think they'd really affect how secure the helmet would be on the head (much like a balaclava in the winter). I'm thinking that it would be difficult to make sure the helmet was tight on the noggin with an irregularly thickness in between.

You make very valid points. The doo rag or balaclava really do nothing to change the fitment and protective qualities of the helmet. Ball caps however change it greatly. It causes the helmet to remain loose and insecure. That meets the threshold and would be considered a violation.  

 

Sean

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, odot1 said:

You make very valid points. The doo rag or balaclava really do nothing to change the fitment and protective qualities of the helmet. Ball caps however change it greatly. It causes the helmet to remain loose and insecure. That meets the threshold and would be considered a violation.  

 

Sean

Thanks! The helmet looked like 1 of those $45 Crappy Tire open face versions...

Some people go all out for the best helmet (in their mind) that money can buy, while others go for the 'cheapest bucket' that they can find...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Hi Odot,

As you are regularly on trails and taking helmets off and on I have a few helmet strap related questions.

 

I have seen many different brands of helmet quick release buckles for sale.  Are these legal to add to your helmet?

Have you seen any cases where these buckles fail in a crash resulting in or potentially result in more severe injury?

Would you or do you use a quick release and if so any recommendations on brand?

 

thank you

dave 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Trying to pay the bills, lol




×
×
  • Create New...