Check your account email address ×

Bucket list bands

We had a night club on the southwest side and I lived about 2 miles away from that had alot of live music and some great acts once in a while besides local acts. Bands I saw there ( I was mostly under aged to be in there at the time) were Robin Trower, Blue Oyster Cult, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Rick Derenger, Fabulous Thunderbirds and I am probably forgetting some as it was 30 years ago. Lots of local acts too like Lonnie Brooks, Sugar Blue, Nicholas tremulous, Kevin Purcell and the Night Burners, Buddy Guy, Mr. Blotto and about 100 cover bands. Those were good times back then. Lots of live music all over the city and blues fest, Taste of Chicago, countless neighborhood festivals (Saw Frampton at one a town over from where I lived). Its way different now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

We had a night club on the southwest side and I lived about 2 miles away from that had alot of live music and some great acts once in a while besides local acts. Bands I saw there ( I was mostly under aged to be in there at the time) were Robin Trower, Blue Oyster Cult, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Rick Derenger, Fabulous Thunderbirds and I am probably forgetting some as it was 30 years ago. Lots of local acts too like Lonnie Brooks, Sugar Blue, Nicholas tremulous, Kevin Purcell and the Night Burners, Buddy Guy, Mr. Blotto and about 100 cover bands. Those were good times back then. Lots of live music all over the city and blues fest, Taste of Chicago, countless neighborhood festivals (Saw Frampton at one a town over from where I lived). Its way different now. 

There's some bands I haven't heard about in a while! :bc:

I have lots on my bucket list as well. I just found out yesterday that the Scorpions are playing mid August up here. I'd like to see that one but I'm unsure I will be able to make it? 

Just now, irv said:

There's some bands I haven't heard about in a while! :bc:

I have lots on my bucket list as well. I just found out yesterday that the Scorpions are playing mid August up here. I'd like to see that one but I'm unsure I will be able to make it? 

Oh yeah and I got to do it when I was young and those performers were still young enough to still put on great shows. They are all old as fuck now. 2 of the best performers of that group were Rick derringer and Frampton. We were making fun of Rick before he went on because he was only famous for rock n roll hoochie coo but he made us eat our words. Dude is super talented. Frampton played at our town festival and like 20,000 people showed up to see him. He said, "holy shit there are a lot of people here" like he was surprised. He absolutely killed. Rick Springfield played there the following year and was all drunk and belligerent on stage. He made the newspaper for his antics. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

saw blue oyster cult twice in small venues. frank marino too. trower would be awesome

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

saw blue oyster cult twice in small venues. frank marino too. trower would be awesome

We were tripping on LSD when I saw Frank. Unfortunately I dont remember a whole lot lol

I guess I’m probably gonna go see Phil and Rex on the Pantera reunion tour. I saw them 3 times in 1996-97 so it’s nothing like I missed them as a group but I wish they would have kept it together. 

Edited by f7ben

5 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i did get to see frank zappa before he passed. that was wild

I’ve met Steve Vai a few times. He puts on one hell of a show 

11 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i did get to see frank zappa before he passed. that was wild

Despite not being a big fan of his, I decided to go with 2 buddies who were and I was glad I did. One of the best concerts I ever seen. Unbelievable how tight and talented the whole band was!! 

35 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

some old ones i missed but would like to catch are scorpions, biohazard, leeway, judas priest

I saw Judas Priest on their Turbo album tour.  Was one hell of a show, with Megadeth and Testament as openers.  My seats were 5th row on the floor, and I just remember between Megadeth and Testament, some gal puking pills as she was being dragged out.... CRAZY Lout to say the least, but sounded awesome!

27 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I guess I’m probably gonna go see Phil and Rex on the Pantera reunion tour. I saw them 3 times in 1996-97 so it’s nothing like I missed them as a group but I wish they would have kept it together. 

I've seen Pantera 3 times when they were pretty new, at the Mirage when it was on 24th and 24th in south east Mpls.  When the whole floor started moving as a mosh pit, that was pretty insane!  

Anyone ever been in a mosh pit??  The 3rd time I saw Pantera, and got into the Mosh Pit, there was this huge guy just BASHING little kids as he circled the pit, knocking them down with elbows, shoulders, sometimes hip checks.... My thought was this duded needed to take a hit.  As we were circling, I had my buddy give me a shove and hit him HARD about shoulder high, and DOWN GOES FRASIER!  He took out about 6 or 7 others as he rolled into the crowd on the floor.  He got up so pissed it was like King Kong looking for ants to crush... After a few more circles you could tell he had enough and left the floor.  Funny as hell....

Edited by Mag6240

5 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I saw Judas Priest on their Turbo album tour.  Was one hell of a show, with Megadeth and Testament as openers.  My seats were 5th row on the floor, and I just remember between Megadeth and Testament, some gal puking pills as she was being dragged out.... CRAZY Lout to say the least, but sounded awesome!

I've seen Pantera 3 times when they were pretty new, at the Mirage when it was on 24th and 24th in south east Mpls.  When the whole floor started moving as a mosh pit, that was pretty insane!  

Anyone ever been in a mosh pit??

Ah yah ....I’ve probably been to 100 concerts lol. Been to a lot of amazing shows at small clubs. Sevendust and deftones etc more time than I can count. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Anyone ever been in a mosh pit??

i used to like megadeth but he got too political. not looking for that. funny story about them. one of my friends was trying to tell me was going to see megadeath at the mid hudson civic center. said he knew the tour manager and was going on the bus. i called bullshit , and kicked myself later. he was on the bus, stage, etc the whole night. he partied on the bus till they kicked him out. when he got off the bus it was getting light and his was the only car in the lot. i saw all the pictures and was sad. then i saw behind the music on megadeath and there was his buddy , the tour manager. should have gone that night, i would be telling a better story right now

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sleepybrew said:

i used to like megadeth but he got too political. not looking for that. funny story about them. one of my friends was trying to tell me was going to see megadeath at the mid hudson civic center. said he knew the tour manager and was going on the bus. i called bullshit , and kicked myself later. he was on the bus, stage, etc the whole night. he partied on the bus till they kicked him out. when he got off the bus it was getting light and his was the only car in the lot. i saw all the pictures and was sad. then i saw behind the music on megadeath and there was his buddy , the tour manager. should have gone that night, i would be telling a better story right now

Definitely one of my favorite bands but for me without Menza and Friedman and Ellefson it’s just not megadeth. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Anyone ever been in a mosh pit??  The 3rd time I saw Pantera, and got into the Mosh Pit, there was this huge guy just BASHING little kids as he circled the pit, knocking them down with elbows, shoulders, sometimes hip checks.... My thought was this duded needed to take a hit.  As we were circling, I had my buddy give me a shove and hit him HARD about shoulder high, and DOWN GOES FRASIER!  He took out about 6 or 7 others as he rolled into the crowd on the floor.  He got up so pissed it was like King Kong looking for ants to crush... After a few more circles you could tell he had enough and left the floor.  Funny as hell....

I never got to see Judas Priest I would totally do that now but only if it is with Halford

• Like 2