Check your account email address ×

Texas would have blackouts if it wasn’t for renewables

• Gold Member

Damn.  Wind and Solar are really bailing out Texas as the demand continues to be record breaking daily.  40% of the electricity used during these times are renewables now.

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Renewable-Energy/Texas-Turns-To-Renewables-As-Electricity-Demand-Soars-To-Record-Highs.html

When demand peaked last Sunday, wind and solar contributed 26 gigawatts of energy to the grid, or nearly 40% of the total energy required. "Texas is, by rhetoric, anti-renewables. But frankly, renewables are bailing us out," Michael Webber, an energy expert at the University of Texas was quoted by CNN. "They're rocking. That really spares us a lot of heartaches and a lot of money."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Damn.  Wind and Solar are really bailing out Texas as the demand continues to be record breaking daily.  40% of the electricity used during these times are renewables now.

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Renewable-Energy/Texas-Turns-To-Renewables-As-Electricity-Demand-Soars-To-Record-Highs.html

When demand peaked last Sunday, wind and solar contributed 26 gigawatts of energy to the grid, or nearly 40% of the total energy required. "Texas is, by rhetoric, anti-renewables. But frankly, renewables are bailing us out," Michael Webber, an energy expert at the University of Texas was quoted by CNN. "They're rocking. That really spares us a lot of heartaches and a lot of money."

The ideologues have arrived to dispute the truth. They can’t stand wind and solar. It’s pathological with them. Fascinating to watch.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Having you follow me around is priceless

Will you start another thread about the same thing again, cuz yeah, I would probably make mention of it.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Snake said:

Will you start another thread about the same thing again, cuz yeah, I would probably make mention of it.

This is FS…. Everything gets its own thread

• Gold Member
57 minutes ago, Snake said:

So start another thread, and change a hyphen or 2....

Different days.  Last thread was about renewables taking up almost 30%. This is different at renewables yesterday carrying 40%

sorry it hurts your feelers

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

We'll when you close 2 of the largest plants in TX in the last 6 yrs alone somthing has to make up for the loss .

Do you think if those plants were still on line last winter TX would have had the massive blackouts ? 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Wait until he starts following you around so he can keep reminding you that he blocked you. It gets kinda weird. 

Almost as weird as needing  to have 2 accounts to switch between . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, nascarmike said:

Because they are shutting them all down and regulating them out of commission.

Not on the winter outage.  The gas lines froze shutting down pretty much all their natural gas generation.  It’s just normal cooling as gas lines in texas freeze all the time and it’s just a weather event and not climate change

Edited by BOHICA

5 minutes ago, nascarmike said:

In January, I went to Yellowstone. I drove my F-150 from southeast Michigan to DesMoines before I stopped to fill up. Any EV's out there on the market that can do that yet.

No. Yet for 80% of drivers an EV range is adequate. 

• Gold Member
Just now, hayward said:

I think they should make every citiot drive EV's and they only get one charge/week. :news:

I think they should ration gas to 10 gallons a week for every individual

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, nascarmike said:

In January, I went to Yellowstone. I drove my F-150 from southeast Michigan to DesMoines before I stopped to fill up. Any EV's out there on the market that can do that yet.

You could make that drive no issues in annEV, but Michigan to Yellowstone will require charging.  Overall it will be cheaper to do that drive in an EV

• Gold Member

“Wind and solar are playing a critical role in keeping the lights on and the AC running,” Metzger said. “Without wind and solar we would definitely be having blackouts. Today it is expected that wind and solar will provide 30 percent of our peak demand of energy and some days it is as high as 40 or 50 percent.”

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/expert-says-renewable-energy-is-keeping-texans-lights-on/amp/