Check your account email address ×

Krazy little crappers

The Independent

Boy, 13, who used AK-47 in ‘Bonnie and Clyde’ gunfight against police with 14-year-old girl pleads no contest

Sam Hancock
Thu, March 24, 2022, 9:23 AM

A teenage boy has been sentenced to a juvenile facility after he and a friend opened gunfire on police in Florida last June.

Travis O’Brien, now 13, was just 12 when he and Nicole Jackson, two years his senior, broke out of a local children’s home and forced their way into an empty house in Volusia County.

Police were called to reports of a break-in at the property and when they arrived, O’Brien and Jackson, armed with an AK-47, began shooting.

The gun battle lasted for 35 minutes, with viral footage showing an officer instructing Jackson – who he warns his colleagues “has a shotgun in her hand” – to “put the gun down now”.

Appearing in court on Wednesday, O’Brien pleaded no contest to charges of burglary, criminal mischief and attempted murder of law enforcement officers.

He was remanded to a maximum-risk assessment programme followed by a conditional release, and told the sentence cannot exceed his 21st birthday, according to NBC’s local news channel WESH.

O’Brien’s lawyer Jeff Deen told the station: “He’s a little tiny, little boy and he got into a big mess.

“He wasn’t in control of his situation and he can’t understand some of the things that we understand.”

Travis O’Brien, now 13, pleaded no contest to charges of burglary, criminal mischief and attempted murder of law enforcement officers (News6Florida)

Travis O’Brien, now 13, pleaded no contest to charges of burglary, criminal mischief and attempted murder of law enforcement officers (News6Florida)

At the time of the ‘shootout’, on 1 June 2021, O’Brien and Jackson – dubbed “Bonnie and Clyde” by local and national news – were living at Florida United Methodist Children’s Home when they decided to escape.

In a video clip, circulated on social media and by US newspapers, police can be heard disagreeing over whether or not to fire at the children.

One officer can be heard saying: “Female has a shotgun in her hand, stand by.” He is then heard shouting “put the gun down now”, before shots are fired.

“They’re shooting on me,” the officer tells colleagues via a radio. “Hold the air … She’s re-racking a round inside the shotgun.”

Nicole Jackson, now 15, received treatment for life-threatening injuries after being shot but made a full recovery after surgery (News6Florida)

Nicole Jackson, now 15, received treatment for life-threatening injuries after being shot but made a full recovery after surgery (News6Florida)

The dispatcher replies: “Let’s not engage them anymore. Let’s not challenge them.”

But the officer insists: “The window’s busted on the patio side. If she comes out she’s going to have the shotgun.”

Moments later, Jackson comes out of the house with a gun and is shot. “I think the female’s down,” an officer says in the clip. “Call in the units. Female’s on the ground behind the car.”

The footage then shows O’Brien surrendering and being taken into custody.

Jackson, then 14, was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after being shot in the chest and arm but she recovered after surgery.

Now 15, she is yet to be sentenced for her involvement in the incident.

Last year, a couple, Shauna and Dan Willis, reportedly offered to adopt Jackson after talking to her by phone from her jail.

23 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Bad ass motherfuckers right there

Fuck cops 

That's a shitty thing to say. Who are you going to call when the shit hit the fan. F7ben you are so fucked in the head. As for me I will call the Police and thank them for the help. Till then I got their backs.   

249426180_10221925767479357_444817230870678437_n.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Badger** said:

That's a shitty thing to say. Who are you going to call when the shit hit the fan. F7ben you are so fucked in the head. As for me I will call the Police and thank them for the help. Till then I got their backs.   

249426180_10221925767479357_444817230870678437_n.jpg

Lmfao....you’d shoot your own little pecker off before you hurt anyone else with that faggot piece of plastic garbage 

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

No, been cuffed many times. Was nothing more then a respectfull event on all sides. 

I never had a serious issues with cops, got stopped when I was 16 for speeding, got a warning only, I believe that was the only time I was ever stopped.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, XCR1250 said:

I never had a serious issues with cops, got stopped when I was 16 for speeding, got a warning only, I believe that was the only time I was ever stopped.

I used to take my libertarian ways much further then I do nowadays. I still do whatever I want , Im just more careful.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Lmfao....you’d shoot your own little pecker off before you hurt anyone else with that faggot piece of plastic garbage 

Most pistols now a days have lots of so called plastic, my Smith & Wesson M&P 40 cal. is mostly plastic, so are 2 of my Rugers.

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Most pistols now a days have lots of so called plastic, my Smith & Wesson M&P 40 cal. is mostly plastic, so are 2 of my Rugers.

They aren’t plastic frame junkos though. 

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I like The S&W M&P but too heavy to CC so we carry LC 380's now.

I like my buddies Springfield xd...I could carry that if I was so inclined. I don’t think I’d ever carry though. 

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I hate how a glock feels in my hand. I’ll likely never own one 

If you'd get your hand off you're pecker and go out shoot. I can shoot anything my son in-law has a 50 cal am the best shot in the world hell no!! But I have fun shooting. Picture for effect.   

556201.jpg

8 minutes ago, Badger** said:

If you'd get your hand off you're pecker and go out shoot. I can shoot anything my son in-law has a 50 cal am the best shot in the world hell no!! But I have fun shooting. Picture for effect.   

556201.jpg

I love shooting ....we have only been shooting clays the last couple years because of stupid ammo prices 

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

I used to take my libertarian ways much further then I do nowadays. I still do whatever I want , Im just more careful.

Same.  Don't want any trouble with law enforcement.  

57 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

My ruger 9mm is, my sigs are still metal.

My 32 year old S+W 9 mm has a shorter barrel and is all metal.  Good size for CC, but I'm just not up to that right now.

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I love shooting ....we have only been shooting clays the last couple years because of stupid ammo prices 

There's a private range about a half mile from here as the crow flies, some days sounds like a fucking war zone in the back yard.  I have shot a couple blasts from my base model Mossberg, but I don't trust any of the random Karens in the neighborhood to call the cops on me.  :lol: 

Just now, f7ben said:

I have an in on ammo and he's my best friend since we were 4-5 years old. My favorite gun I bought is my 30-06 Remington model Four just because I bought when I was in HS our local Hardware store was going out of Biz and I got it for $150.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Anyone here ever had any serious run ins with cops?

Never, not even a speeding ticket, although I was pulled over while going 115 once, but somehow didn’t get me on radar.