Check your account email address ×

New engine for Polaris?

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Are you talking about the 750 turbo,..like in an 09 dragon?

You guys aren't really talking dates,..Ive only been riding since 07 so I don't know much about sleds before that.I have a friend who has one of those 750 turbos in a dragon switchback..Sled is pretty darn good too,..he said the motor was from when Poo did jet skis, was originally a jet ski motor.

One of the posters here has one with a tune . Adam or what ever his screen name is . The all in #1 pro phizer cheerleader . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

One of the posters here has one with a tune . Adam or what ever his screen name is . The all in #1 pro phizer cheerleader . 

I think I know who you you are talking about...:lol:

@akvanden you got a 750 turbski??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Are you talking about the 750 turbo,..like in an 09 dragon?

You guys aren't really talking dates,..Ive only been riding since 07 so I don't know much about sleds before that.I have a friend who has one of those 750 turbos in a dragon switchback..Sled is pretty darn good too,..he said the motor was from when Poo did jet skis, was originally a jet ski motor.

It was called the Weber MPE 750. Multi-Purpose-Engine. Weber was a German company before Polaris acquired it. Yes, it was in a PWC during "04 or "05. It was a one year wonder in the watercraft. The Switchback was a pretty good fit for the motor being a longer chassis. Some of them ran really good. Many didn't. It never sold well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boonbocker1 said:

Except textron bought weber and a variation of that engine found its way into the stampede and havoc sxs's.   The motor was designed in conjunction with polaris for use in their watercraft.   Never was in a car.   

Polaris acquired Swissauto Powersports division in 2010. Perhaps they've sold it off to Textron. Textron buys a lot of companies only to destroy them. The motor was originally designed for a minicar with the idea of it being a multi-purpose engine. 

https://utvunderground.com/forum/index.php?threads/polaris-industries-announces-acquisition-of-engine-developer-swissauto-powersports.2997/

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Lol

18 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Yea he does...

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Can you point out where the turbo is in that vid? 

I have a hard time believing Poo or any manufacturer would put a 3lbs boost or less turbo, on a 2 stroke snowmobile to be ridden at 1000 ft elevation. 

It's simply an educated guess. Polaris has obviously done tons of R&D with two stroke turbos based on the amount of patents on the US Patent website. Electronically controlled variable boost pressure is one of the patents. There is nothing for 4 strike technology. No way will any company release a product without protecting it with patents. Either actual patents or patent applications. 

• Gold Member
Just now, Not greg b said:

They have a video of it running on the dyno. It sounds like any other stock big bore twin made in the last 10 years. If it’s turboed they have done something to make the turbo where it is super quiet. 

Its quiet.....Im in the 4 cylinder turbo car world.... turbos make engines very quiet.  It doesnt have the rasp of a 900cc 2 stroke . 

Maybe its just the video. 

Also looks like something is on the charge side in the video

3 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Sounds kinda weird to me. 

Def 2 stroke. Not sure on turbo or not because I dont see it on the exhaust . But it sure sounds like a turbo :dunno:

You can see where the pipe goes into the back of giant muffler. Maybe they made a way of combining the turbo and the muffler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

Its quiet.....Im in the 4 cylinder turbo car world.... turbos make engines very quiet.  It doesnt have the rasp of a 900cc 2 stroke . 

Maybe its just the video. 

Also looks like something is on the charge side in the video

I was trying to figure out if that was a charge pipe or a cooling hose for the dyno. I think that engine is on a stand 

Edited by Not greg b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

It's simply an educated guess. Polaris has obviously done tons of R&D with two stroke turbos based on the amount of patents on the US Patent website. Electronically controlled variable boost pressure is one of the patents. There is nothing for 4 strike technology. No way will any company release a product without protecting it with patents. Either actual patents or patent applications. 

Bonuses are given for pattent fillings in Medina. 

Like a badge of honor to have a wall full of plaques behind your desk 

Edited by Ez ryder

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Polaris acquired Swissauto Powersports division in 2010. Perhaps they've sold it off to Textron. Textron buys a lot of companies only to destroy them. The motor was originally designed for a minicar with the idea of it being a multi-purpose engine. 

https://utvunderground.com/forum/index.php?threads/polaris-industries-announces-acquisition-of-engine-developer-swissauto-powersports.2997/

Swissauto and weber are 2 different companies. 

https://www.swissauto.com/e/motor/projekt_detail.jsp?ID_Display=20000G

20220216_155906.jpg

Edited by Boonbocker1

8 hours ago, p51mstg said:

What was wrong with the first Polaris 4s?  I know it didn't last very long in the lineup, but they must've had some problems with it in order to back away from it so quickly.  I don't know that much about it.

There's a list, but couple of the big ones were 1) horrible routing of the electrical which caused rubbing and chaffing overtime. If a cel came on, it was most likely this and not actually something wrong. 2) 90% of them left the factory with a boost leak. Not hard to fix, but not something most like to dabble with. They were built from 06-14 models.

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The Weber was designed for car use and polaris attempted to sandwich into a snowmobile. It’s had a horrible industrial sound and some were riddled with issues. Heat and electrical issues for one. Polaris eventually bought the company and it’s technology. Some of that made it into the rzr. It had a really weird powerband as well. 

It's known for its very linear powerband, actually. With a tune, it's quite quick. 

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

pfizer should really pay me more so I can buy something newer

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Hell yeah. It's a love-hate relationship but mostly love. 

Edited by akvanden
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, akvanden said:

pfizer should really pay me more so I can buy something newer

They would but they pulled no less than 5 requests for emergency use this week so they know there run is nearing a end . All that pom poms waving was for not 

So is it a jet ski motor ?

Edited by Ez ryder

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Here is a pic of a polaris boost engine. image.thumb.png.d0bbf943d3f83964e9e86b4ebee04cf7.pngThat vid of the poo engine has no turbo. 

I understand poo wants to maximize their investment, but I just cant see how they can make a low elevation 2 stroke work. The boost right now is close to the edge of needing more than pump gas. 

My bud has a boost, and we rode all last week at 9k+ elevation. It would get moderate DET while in break in mode. Once the added oil break in was done the DET stopped. And its not like the sled used alot of oil even on break in mode. He used less than my Axys 800. 

Now someone puts a tune on them ( and tunes are coming soon) at low elevation.....I doubt it would make it WOT for more than 5 seconds. 

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

So is it a jet ski motor ?

There might have been one year where Polaris used a similar engine in 2004 before they stopped making watercraft, but from what I know the version that made it into the sleds in 2006 are upgraded/better, as in you couldn't just swap them between watercraft/sled.

5 hours ago, snoughnut said:

I had a 2009 CFI 800 and apparently Poo's fuel mapping was messed up to meet EPA guidelines. That engine had a 5000 - 5500 rpm lean spot that when you hit that spot on occasion it would act like it was cutting out and at times throw your head over the bars. That lean condition was the cause of most of the problems. Alot of guys had to install Power Commanders to get around the problem or eventually you'd end up with a squeaked piston. 

Yes they didnt map software worth a shit. And it sometimes squeaked pistons. But thats not catastrophic. And its easily fixed, which they did.

What is bad is when a chunk of the piston skirt comes off because its unsupported and it grenades the whole engine. Or the cylinder skirt. Because they had both issues, and continued to put bandaids on until the 850. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boonbocker1 said:

Swissauto and weber are 2 different companies. 

https://www.swissauto.com/e/motor/projekt_detail.jsp?ID_Display=20000G

20220216_155906.jpg

Ah, I see what you're saying. Swissauto did the development work for Weber. Makes sense. Are Weber motors used any longer? Seems like they died a pretty quick death after Polaris dropped them. 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, akvanden said:

There might have been one year where Polaris used a similar engine in 2004 before they stopped making watercraft, but from what I know the version that made it into the sleds in 2006 are upgraded/better, as in you couldn't just swap them between watercraft/sled.

Polaris MSX 150 PWC is exactly the same engine. I use to work on them when they were brand new. 750cc turbo..

7 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Polaris MSX 150 PWC is exactly the same engine. I use to work on them when they were brand new. 750cc turbo..

I thought that the marine version had a mounting plate for the impeller housing? I seem to remember something about the snow guys swapping ignitions with the marine versions for more power. 

11 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

maybe same guts, but they have differences. A post from someone on the old polarisfiles site (RIP).

"The Polaris snowmobile FST motors have been upgraded. Steel waterpump gear vs plastic, revised plating process, crankshaft clearance/oil galley chamfer, oil PSI, no more fly by wire design the Bosch closed loop system uses a O2 sensor to control all fueling to keep a spot on AF ratio, also has a overboost mode and if your wastegate was to take a dump it puts the motor in limp mode as soon as it senses to much boost , also has remote idle control and atmospheric pressure compensation for turbo boost regulation so you keep your same HP level through elevation"

Edited by akvanden

53 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Ah, I see what you're saying. Swissauto did the development work for Weber. Makes sense. Are Weber motors used any longer? Seems like they died a pretty quick death after Polaris dropped them. 

Mother textron bought Weber a few years back. I believe the new engines in cat’s dirt side are Weber designs 

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Here is a pic of a polaris boost engine. image.thumb.png.d0bbf943d3f83964e9e86b4ebee04cf7.pngThat vid of the poo engine has no turbo. 

I understand poo wants to maximize their investment, but I just cant see how they can make a low elevation 2 stroke work. The boost right now is close to the edge of needing more than pump gas. 

My bud has a boost, and we rode all last week at 9k+ elevation. It would get moderate DET while in break in mode. Once the added oil break in was done the DET stopped. And its not like the sled used alot of oil even on break in mode. He used less than my Axys 800. 

Now someone puts a tune on them ( and tunes are coming soon) at low elevation.....I doubt it would make it WOT for more than 5 seconds. 

I agree with you on them Having a tough time making a turbo work at sea level for the average joe buyer. I know when my friend picked up a kit cheap, the maker of it said on pump gas the fuel system can’t support much at sea level under boost. He ended up selling the kit as the every day bolt on stage 3, pipe kits for trail sleds were close in power to a turbo kit on pump gas.