Check your account email address ×

Buddy was sledding in Wisconsin and smoked a cable on the groomed trail

Rod

2 hours ago, ACE said:

They sent the club the video to the clubs fb page and they got blocked 

The club blocked them ? I find that very odd . If shit like that was going down in my parts I would boost it like a ad to be sure every one got word to keep a big eye open 

Edited by Ez ryder

39 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

The club blocked them ? I find that very odd . If shit like that was going down in my parts I would boost it like a ad to be sure every one got word to keep a big eye open 

They found someone to call. They’re going to fix it RFN 

Wtf.  That sucks donkey :(

23 hours ago, jdsky said:

Wonder if that was near a fat tire bike trail.

The ones who run the fat bike clubs love sledders as the trails are unrideable for them until we come knock the snow down.  Easier to ride on snowmobile tracks than fresh groomed stuff even.

31 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Wtf.  That sucks donkey :(

The ones who run the fat bike clubs love sledders as the trails are unrideable for them until we come knock the snow down.  Easier to ride on snowmobile tracks than fresh groomed stuff even.

Until they start pushing to ban sleds on the trails . Or worse start pushing for shared use on the trails . 98% of the stretchy pants DB have zero idea they are trespassing when on the majority of snomobike trails in MN and don't care . I have confronted a few localy arrogant fucks . 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Until they start pushing to ban sleds on the trails . Or worse start pushing for shared use on the trails . 98% of the stretchy pants DB have zero idea they are trespassing when on the majority of snomobike trails in MN and don't care . I have confronted a few localy arrogant fucks . 

The ones in VT are total douches ...

They Yelled at me and my buddy last year as we came ripping around a corner and 4 of em zig zagging up a hill taking the whole damn trail up...totally ridiculous and stupid to be out there with Sleds IMO. Accident waiting to happen

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

The ones in VT are total douches ...

They Yelled at me and my buddy last year as we came ripping around a corner and 4 of em zig zagging up a hill taking the whole damn trail up...totally ridiculous and stupid to be out there with Sleds IMO. Accident waiting to happen

They closed the sled trails last year in the Northumberland forest east of me due to bikers, hikers and day trippers. The forest became full due to the covid lockdowns in the big cities but of course the stupid city council didn't recognize that fact. 

This year it sounds like they have an agreement in place, however, so I was glad to hear the club got through to them, which, as anyone would know, wouldn't be an easy task.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, irv said:

They closed the sled trails last year in the Northumberland forest east of me due to bikers, hikers and day trippers. The forest became full due to the covid lockdowns in the big cities but of course the stupid city council didn't recognize that fact. 

This year it sounds like they have an agreement in place, however, so I was glad to hear the club got through to them, which, as anyone would know, wouldn't be an easy task.

So I take it most of your trails up there are on state land,?

Just now, Ez ryder said:

So I take it most of your trails up there are on state land,?

A mix of both. Private and public but agreements are in place, or use to be, once winter arrives, or a month out or so, they become property of the snowmobile clubs during the sledding season. 

I know in my parts the majority of the trail that is on state owned land in still maintained by the local clubs . Very few MI relitivly speaking of MN trail is maintained by the state . Most is on privet property with land owner agreements that the local clubs secure . I don't even know if a fag tire biker would be covered under the insurance policy the state covers the land owner under after signing a land owner agreement if somthing were to happen ? He'll if I took one out on a privet property sled trail I sure shit would not let my insurance settle with out a legal fight 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, irv said:

A mix of both. Private and public but agreements are in place, or use to be, once winter arrives, or a month out or so, they become property of the snowmobile clubs during the sledding season. 

So how is the DNR or who ever is in charge up there allowing bikes on privet poroperty trail? Or have the ability to lock sleds out of the property they the sledders  more than likely secured the land owner agreements with in the first place? I know for a fact some of my land owners would lock the gates and drop some trees if they had unauthorized people roaming around there property on bikes and snow shoes . They know who the ones are out brushing there roads keeping bridges maintained keeping gates maintained sending them there land owner certs etc etc . In fact 1 asked us to post no horses no hikers no ski no one but snomobilers from state trail to his property entrance 

Edited by Ez ryder

5 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I know in my parts the majority of the trail that is on state owned land in still maintained by the local clubs . Very few MI relitivly speaking of MN trail is maintained by the state . Most is on privet property with land owner agreements that the local clubs secure . I don't even know if a fag tire biker would be covered under the insurance policy the state covers the land owner under after signing a land owner agreement if somthing were to happen ? He'll if I took one out on a privet property sled trail I sure shit would not let my insurance settle with out a legal fight 

I don't believe the gov't maintains, or helps to maintain these trails anytime of the year other than grants once in a while? The thing I heard about the Northumberland trails was the fact city council wanted the sled club to assume all liability. Just a complete asinine and idiotic request/requirement so the club said FU and shut them down waving any responsibility whatsoever. 

Not that we had a stellar winter by any stretch of the imagination last year, but I'm sure local restaurants, gas stations and others felt the pinch bad.  

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

So how is the DNR or who ever is in charge up there allowing bikes on privet poroperty trail? Or have the ability to lock sleds out of the property they the sledders  more than likely secured the land owner agreements with in the first place? I know for a fact some of my land owners would lock the gates and drop some trees if they had unauthorized people roaming around there property on bikes and snow shoes . They know who the ones are out brushing there roads keeping bridges maintained keeping gates maintained sending them there land owner certs etc etc . In fact 1 asked us to post no horses no hikers no ski no one but snomobilers from state trail to his property entrance 

I don't know the details as I'm not involved with any of it, but like you, private land owners can shut things down whenever they want, which seems to be happening more and more every year as more sledders venture off the designated trails.

The main forest I ride, the Ganaraska, I know has separate trails for X country skiers and the like but I don't think the Northumberland forest does, hence the problems. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

I don't believe the gov't maintains, or helps to maintain these trails anytime of the year other than grants once in a while? The thing I heard about the Northumberland trails was the fact city council wanted the sled club to assume all liability. Just a complete asinine and idiotic request/requirement so the club said FU and shut them down waving any responsibility whatsoever. 

Not that we had a stellar winter by any stretch of the imagination last year, but I'm sure local restaurants, gas stations and others felt the pinch bad.  

Somthing is off . City coucels or city in general has nothing to do with grant money or insurance typically.  I have no doubt a city put pressure on clubs to share trail or some such shit  

But the norm is the state gives grant in aid money . And that figure is decide at a legislature level . It is usualy a mix of the number of registrations number of trail passes a tiny percentage of the gas tax etc etc . That is divided up by MI of maintained trail usualy by the head state club . Same with insurance for privet land owners that shit is part of the grant in aid package and all done on a legislation level and would be all but impossible to change with out a special session.  Now I am talking MN. And pretty much the same in WI and MI . I can only assume has to be the same around you  

My guess the county was putting pressure on clubs for shared trail access.  Getting calls from idiot bikers complaining they were al out run over when they were trespassing etc etc . And club told county fuck you and shut the gates and dropped some trees and said you explain it to your buisnesess 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Somthing is off . City coucels or city in general has nothing to do with grant money or insurance typically.  I have no doubt a city put pressure on clubs to share trail or some such shit  

But the norm is the state gives grant in aid money . And that figure is decide at a legislature level . It is usualy a mix of the number of registrations number of trail passes a tiny percentage of the gas tax etc etc . That is divided up by MI of maintained trail usualy by the head state club . Same with insurance for privet land owners that shit is part of the grant in aid package and all done on a legislation level and would be all but impossible to change with out a special session.  Now I am talking MN. And pretty much the same in WI and MI . I can only assume has to be the same around you  

My guess the county was putting pressure on clubs for shared trail access.  Getting calls from idiot bikers complaining they were al out run over when they were trespassing etc etc . And club told county fuck you and shut the gates and dropped some trees and said you explain it to your buisnesess 

Likely things are a lot different up here compared to where you live, but I could be wrong? I found this article but didn't read it, which likely explains what happened during that time? https://www.northumberland.ca/en/news/trails-in-the-county-forest-to-remain-closed-to-snowmobiling-due-to-absence-of-user-agreement.aspx

Here's the latest one where they decided to reopen them: https://globalnews.ca/news/8456068/northumberland-county-forest-snowmobile-trails-reopen-after-use-agreement-reached/

And here is their FB website. Likely lots of info in it if you're interested? https://www.facebook.com/northumberlandforest/

29 minutes ago, ACE said:

002848B9-7D85-4E59-87F3-98E53DD71A4A.jpeg

Wish I could say I have not had to ride a old M off a mountian with a arms and ski strapped to the tunnel twice lol. That fucker is tough prob just arms shock steering rod.  Back on the snow in 2 hrs 

2 minutes ago, akvanden said:

So why was it there? Did they get answers from anyone?

The trail crosses some private land. Sounding like an over sight by everyone but that’s a really bad one 

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

@ACE - you mentioned the guy was from Eau Claire.  Where was he riding when he hit the cable (I missed it if you posted already).  

Said Barron county in our texts 

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Said Barron county in our texts 

Ahhh, okay ... at least that confirms where he was at.  I didn't think Barron was open yet, but maybe it was (I haven't looked on the Travel WI site yet).

9 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Ahhh, okay ... at least that confirms where he was at.  I didn't think Barron was open yet, but maybe it was (I haven't looked on the Travel WI site yet).

Sounds like it just opened that day if I’m reading it right 

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

The web site says it closed, I picked my brother up on Friday, he is in Barron county,  trails were groomed,  but he said they are closed. The gates are open, but trails are closed

Screenshot_20220110-113027_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MnDean

15 minutes ago, MnDean said:

The web site says it closed, I picked my brother up on Friday, he is in Barron county,  trails were groomed,  but he said they are closed. The gates are open, but trails are closed

Screenshot_20220110-113027_Samsung Internet.jpg

Unless he meant they were open in his area and rode there. I never specifically asked him