Check your account email address ×

Trickle down is a failure

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

No, you're just competing on the basis of the quality of the work instead of price. 

You sure you run a fucking business, bro?

WTF, there is a price attached to all contracts right.  Oh I run a business alright, a value added one that likes the technology I have developed.  

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No doubt and I am sure he is still paying full price for his people when quoting non-union work.  Its really quite sad to listen to this shit.

Uh yeah we pay them their wages. What is your point? If I can compete against non union labor while paying for union labor what does that tell you? You say you are an engineer but I'm not sure that qualifies you as an expert in bidding, production and project management. Nothing sad about me or what I do. I am fairly successful and very well regarded in my industry. And I don't need to toot my own horn, I know what goes into the cost of doing business. If you think the increase in the price of goods is equal to the incewase in salary of workers then it is you who is sad. 

Edited by Anler

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Did you see where I said I compete against non union companies? We only have to pay the same on public works projects where it is required by law. We have highly skilled and experienced crews and use the latest technology and equipment. We can do certain tasks for less than the industry average rates. That's unit rates, not labor rates... 

Yes I understand that and you must retain union staff to even bid those.  I could give too shits about government projects and bid my one and only over twenty years ago.

18 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I am in favor of more buying power, the $$$ amount doesn't really matter.

BTW, are you part of that group that calls the non union shops and threatens them if they get too close to chi town?

:lol: we have bigger problems than non union contractors. I choose to be a union contractor because that's where the big money jobs are, in the union market. If I were to expand to a non union market then we would start a non union operation there. But I would still offer more money to attract the top talent. Our work isn't just mindless labor anymore. Safety and new building regs require our staff to be more educated and experienced. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Uh yeah we pay them their wages. What is your point? If I can compete against non union labor while paying for union labor what does that tell you? You say you are an engineer but I'm not sure that qualifies you as an expert in bidding, production and project management. Nothing sad about me or what I do. I am fairly successful and very well regarded in my industry. And I don't need to toot my own horn, I know what goes into the cost of doing business. If you think the increase in the price of goods is equal to the incewase in salary of workers then it is you who is sad. 

I work with engineering companies who bid out projects to contractors in both union and non union environments.  Never heard of a situation when a union contractor beat out a non-union one buy hey if you say so.  

On  the bold.

Many projects are justified by the technology I bring to the table and contractors involved in the execution of said project are just overhead.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yes I understand that and you must retain union staff to even bid those.  I could give too shits about government projects and bid my one and only over twenty years ago.

Uh yeah because I signed a collective bargaining agreement. I have to pay them the contracted rate. That does NOT mean I can't bid against non union contractors or work on non union sites. Not sure what you are trying to argue here...

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I work with engineering companies who bid out projects to contractors in both union and non union environments.  Never heard of a situation when a union contractor beat out a non-union one buy hey if you say so.  

I do it all of the time. Sorry if that bothers you. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Uh yeah because I signed a collective bargaining agreement. I have to pay them the contracted rate. That does NOT mean I can't bid against non union contractors or work on non union sites. Not sure what you are trying to argue here...

My point here is my staff is the same, I require the top talent and can't bring them down to work on government projects that will waste their time.  Our rates are over $200/hr and hourly service is not where we make our money. 

My point here is my staff is the same, I require the top talent and can't bring them down to work on government projects that will waste their time.  Our rates are over $200/hr and hourly service is not where we make our money. 

Well we bid all work, public and private. That's how good we are... :bc:

Sure, but I have not worked on a project that awarded a union shop over a non-union one.  Facts bro.

:lol: lots of variables in there. Union lesson #2. Public works projects cannot require you to be union. That is the law. Now... If a union general contractor is awarded a project, they cannot use non union subs. But if you are bidding as a prime on any public works project they cannot force you to be union. :bc:

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Shhhhhh....quiet now Snowflake.  All is safe in your world.  Except your company...but that's no big deal.  Shhhhhhh.......

:lmao:

Are you trying to take over for snowrider while he is absent? I see alot of similarities here... 

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well we bid all work, public and private. That's how good we are... :bc:

We don't bid against others, we are sole spec'd, that is how good we are.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

:lol: lots of variables in there. Union lesson #2. Public works projects cannot require you to be union. That is the law. Now... If a union general contractor is awarded a project, they cannot use non union subs. But if you are bidding as a prime on any public works project they cannot force you to be union. :bc:

I don't bid public works but did many before going private.  We just finished a project in AB where the customer had a big contract with the government and that is now expanding bigtime.  Of course the government wants multiple bids but that is not possible since we own the technology.  Yah so fuck them.

We don't bid against others, we are sole spec'd, that is how good we are.

I don't bid public works but did many before going private.  We just finished a project in AB where the customer had a big contract with the government and that is now expanding bigtime.  Of course the government wants multiple bids but that is not possible since we own the technology.  Yah so fuck them.

You get sole spec's cuz someone jerked off the architect... See it all the time... :bc:

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

You get sole spec's cuz someone jerked off the architect... See it all the time... :bc:

Umm. no. We are the only ones who can give the customer what they want as per their specs.  But it takes a customer with balls when the solution is not readily available.