Check your account email address ×

Asshole of the month.

Last weekend I was at a middle school basketball game. My friend coaches the boy’s team. It was a home game. My friend’s team lost the game by an 18 point spread. Not cool, but it happens. The opposing team’s coach refused to shake hands with any of the boys. He went to shake the first boy’s hand and threw his hand up in the air and walked away. My friend waited until all the boys were out of the gym and lost his shit on the guy. It was a bit over the top, but I understand how hot he was. My friend gets a call from the athletic director and receives a reprimand. So be it. I haven’t attended any school ball games for years. Between the parents being insane and the coaches setting a poor example, I’m a little blown away. 

Always a shit show at these games.  Mostly by the parents but, for the record, I’ve never seen the need to line up and shake hands.  It’s idiotic and really only soothes those that don’t understand team sports.  It’s should be stopped at all levels.

Our hockey district has empowered the officials to start to handle this stuff.  Out of line parents can be ejected from the arena by the officials, if they refuse to leave immediate bench minor, coach is given an opportunity to direct the parent to leave.  Still refuse to leave?  Game forfeit and I believe the Head Coach picks up a 1 game suspension as well.  They are putting it on the Coach and Associations to control their people or lose.

4 minutes ago, F3600 said:

Our hockey district has empowered the officials to start to handle this stuff.  Out of line parents can be ejected from the arena by the officials, if they refuse to leave immediate bench minor, coach is given an opportunity to direct the parent to leave.  Still refuse to leave?  Game forfeit and I believe the Head Coach picks up a 1 game suspension as well.  They are putting it on the Coach and Associations to control their people or lose.

I don’t know if this is a great solution but, maybe it can work. Nothing will ostracize a young player more than his idiot drunken dad causing his team a loss and losses.  He/she will pay the price in school.

The best solution is the other parents sitting around this dick hole.

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Always a shit show at these games.  Mostly by the parents but, for the record, I’ve never seen the need to line up and shake hands.  It’s idiotic and really only soothes those that don’t understand team sports.  It’s should be stopped at all levels.

Good lord, what a stupid thing to suggest. There's nothing wrong with showing good sportsmanship, win or lose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Last weekend I was at a middle school basketball game. My friend coaches the boy’s team. It was a home game. My friend’s team lost the game by an 18 point spread. Not cool, but it happens. The opposing team’s coach refused to shake hands with any of the boys. He went to shake the first boy’s hand and threw his hand up in the air and walked away. My friend waited until all the boys were out of the gym and lost his shit on the guy. It was a bit over the top, but I understand how hot he was. My friend gets a call from the athletic director and receives a reprimand. So be it. I haven’t attended any school ball games for years. Between the parents being insane and the coaches setting a poor example, I’m a little blown away. 

I applaud your friend for losing his shit and that other coach should have been the one to get the reprimand.

Just now, snoughnut said:

Good lord, what a stupid thing to suggest. There's nothing wrong with showing good sportsmanship, win or lose.

Oh, this is “good sportsmanship” eh?  It’s dumb as fuck for every game.  It’s senseless crap nobody wants or likes to do.  Now, in a championship or top playoff game…I can see the ceremony of it.  Other than that, no.

Is this in Wisconsin or somewhere else?  Seems early for highschool basketball, but nonetheless it still sucks to hear this crap.  I know between parents being over the top, and to some degree coaches too, it's playing into a shortage of officials (here in MN, anyway).  And I don't blame the officials one bit.  It's good seeing some of the empowerment @F3600 refers to.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Oh, this is “good sportsmanship” eh?  It’s dumb as fuck for every game.  It’s senseless crap nobody wants or likes to do.  Now, in a championship or top playoff game…I can see the ceremony of it.  Other than that, no.

You're losing this argument Scooter, sorry.  It's sportsmanship to congratulate the other team when it's all said and done.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Well, you're no better than that douchebag coach. Shaking/slapping hands after sporting events at all levels to show sportsmanship has been going on forever......... go lay down  Little Hitler. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Apparently the asshole didn’t see the need either. 

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You're losing this argument Scooter, sorry.  It's sportsmanship to congratulate the other team when it's all said and done.  

No.  It’s stupid, feel good crap.  Just part ways and focus on learning what you did wrong or improving on what you did right.

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Apparently the asshole didn’t see the need either. 

Well, his actions are his.  Just like the retards that lose their minds when others want to act a fool during the Nat’l Anthem before the games.  Losers out of control and need to be shown the way.  Seems your buddy failed on both levels, eh?  “He received a reprimand”.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Well, you're no better than that douchebag coach. Shaking/slapping hands after sporting events at all levels to show sportsmanship has been going on forever......... go lay down  Little Hitler. 

He ran the score up 18 points.  You think as a player on the losing team I want to shake his fucking hand.  You fucking cuck.

Being beat by 18 points in buckets is no different than losing 5-2 in hockey with an empty net goal scored to make it 5-2.  So claiming the coach "ran up the score" is a bit of a stretch.  That doesn't excuse the coach for his dickhead move, and the AD reprimanding the other coach that went off is nothing more than a bitch.

Were the boys on the other team emotional destroyed by this dickhead not wanting to shake their hands?  Probably the best part of what they learned that night. There’s no reason to need coddling by the people that just gave you a whooping and your coach is a beta for not telling them that.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

He ran the score up 18 points.  You think as a player on the losing team I want to shake his fucking hand.  You fucking cuck.

So be it. Coming from a martial arts background I was instructed to honor the winner. Not because they’re better, but because they give me an opportunity to get better. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

So be it. Coming from a martial arts background I was instructed to honor the winner. Not because they’re better, but because they give me an opportunity to get better. 

Nothing wrong with that at all.  Being able to admit you were bested is a virtue.  Making a prolonged ceremony of it is silly.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  Being able to admit you were bested is a virtue.  Making a prolonged ceremony of it is silly.

Well I can see that. But this wasn’t a walk of agony, for Christ’s sake. :lol: 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Well I can see that. But this wasn’t a walk of agony, for Christ’s sake. :lol: 

You’ve never lost then?  Losing is agony.

Look, the coaches can go shake hands in front of the kids after the game, that’s sufficient at what is done at higher levels.  Forcing every child to line up and touch each other after the game is ceremonial idiocy.  Head to the bus or locker room.  

You’ve never lost then?  Losing is agony.

Look, the coaches can go shake hands in front of the kids after the game, that’s sufficient at what is done at higher levels.  Forcing every child to line up and touch each other after the game is ceremonial idiocy.  Head to the bus or locker room.  

They were all wearing masks. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Is this in Wisconsin or somewhere else?  Seems early for highschool basketball, but nonetheless it still sucks to hear this crap.  I know between parents being over the top, and to some degree coaches too, it's playing into a shortage of officials (here in MN, anyway).  And I don't blame the officials one bit.  It's good seeing some of the empowerment @F3600 refers to.

Highschool basketball has not started yet here in NY either...First game isn't for a few weeks.. Where was the game spinner??

29 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Minnesota, it's still fall sports, volleyball finishes up this weekend, then it will be State Football.