Check your account email address ×

The UN says $6B from the world's billionaires could solve a hunger crisis. Elon Musk says he will sell Tesla stock and donate proceeds if the UN can prove that.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Elon accepted the challenge.   Let's see if the UN's WFP can back up the claim.

Musk knows its not the money or food that's an issue but the govt's of the starving people will somehow hoard and try and profit from it.   It would take massive military intervention to ensure the aid gets to where its needed.   The UN is gutless when it comes to this. 

https://news.yahoo.com/un-says-6b-worlds-billionaires-031016473.html

• David Beasley, the director of the UN's World Food Programme, issued a recent plea to billionaires.

• He said $6 billion would help 42 million who were "literally going to die if we don't reach them."

• The world's richest man, Elon Musk, says he'll act if the UN could show the math behind the figure.

The billionaire Elon Musk said he'd sell Tesla stock and donate the proceeds if the UN could prove that just a tiny percentage of his wealth could save tens of millions of lives.

Musk was responding to comments by David Beasley, the director of the UN's World Food Programme, who told CNN's "Connect the World" last week that a $6 billion donation from billionaires such as Musk and Jeff Bezos could help 42 million people who he said were "literally going to die if we don't reach them."

Musk is the world's richest man and recently became the first person in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index ever to have an estimated net worth north of $300 billion.

The index currently lists the Tesla CEO's net worth at $311 billion, meaning $6 billion would be 2% of his wealth. Such a donation would still leave him besting the world's second-richest person, Bezos, by at least $100 billion. Both men's net worth consists largely of stock in companies they founded.

But Musk is challenging the claim that the specific amount will solve the hunger crisis, saying on Twitter that if the World Food Programme could show its math, then he would "sell Tesla stock right now and do it." He also demanded transparency about how the money would be spent.

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I want to see the math on this as well...

Its not just the math that doesn't completely work its the distribution.   $6 billion for 42 million comes out to $143.00 per person.

Think the Taliban will just let the UN roll and and hand out aid without getting a cut of it in some way or another?

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

No one is going to anything to address this. Especially a billionaire. Seriously, humans are the only species that set out to wipe of existence others of their own species. 

👌

Except he just said he would and called their bluff...

More bullshit from another dumb shitlib

In 2016, researchers in Spain analyzed data from more than 4 million deaths across 1,024 mammal species, including humans. [8 Human-Like Behaviors of Primates]

Given that there were nearly 16,000 human murders in the United States alone in 2015, according to FBI data, and a plethora of motivations people have for committing murder — from jealousy, to squabbles about money, to hatred toward those who are different — it'd be easy to think that Homo sapiens sapiens would be the species most likely to kill its own kind.

But humans didn't even rank in the top 30, though other animals commonly thought to kill each other — wolves, lions and nonhuman primates, including various monkeys and lemurs — did.

The research also revealed that a number of seemingly peaceful species are surprisingly murderous. Long-tailed chinchillas, ground squirrels and several ungulate species — including wild horses, gazelle and deer — all ranked in the top 50.

https://www.livescience.com/60431-do-animals-murder-each-other.html

Edited by EvilBird
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

No one is going to anything to address this. Especially a billionaire. Seriously, humans are the only species that set out to wipe of existence others of their own species. 

Your hero just said he would if they could prove it 

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

👌

Except he just said he would and called their bluff...

More bullshit from another dumb shitlib

In 2016, researchers in Spain analyzed data from more than 4 million deaths across 1,024 mammal species, including humans. [8 Human-Like Behaviors of Primates]

Given that there were nearly 16,000 human murders in the United States alone in 2015, according to FBI data, and a plethora of motivations people have for committing murder — from jealousy, to squabbles about money, to hatred toward those who are different — it'd be easy to think that Homo sapiens sapiens would be the species most likely to kill its own kind.

But humans didn't even rank in the top 30, though other animals commonly thought to kill each other — wolves, lions and nonhuman primates, including various monkeys and lemurs — did.

The research also revealed that a number of seemingly peaceful species are surprisingly murderous. Long-tailed chinchillas, ground squirrels and several ungulate species — including wild horses, gazelle and deer — all ranked in the top 50.

https://www.livescience.com/60431-do-animals-murder-each-other.html

You’re very poor at comprehension. I’m not surprised. 

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Its not just the math that doesn't completely work its the distribution.   $6 billion for 42 million comes out to $143.00 per person.

Think the Taliban will just let the UN roll and and hand out aid without getting a cut of it in some way or another?

This all once again brings me back to the fact that this planet is overpopulated.  Too many mouths to feed, to much pollution, use and consumption.   We're a swarm of locusts intent upon our own destruction, gobbling up our resources and scrambling to figure out how to sustain the to lifestyles we've become accustomed to.  

Others may wrongly disagree. 

Covid didn't kill enough people. 

:)

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

This all once again brings me back to the fact that this planet is overpopulated.  Too many mouths to feed, to much pollution, use and consumption.   We're a swarm of locusts intent upon our own destruction, gobbling up our resources and scrambling to figure out how to sustain the to lifestyles we've become accustomed to.  

Others may wrongly disagree. 

Covid didn't kill enough people. 

:)

Well you know its very easy to help the planet out.   Take yourself out of the equation then 2 things are solved.  If you are right less population and you can go into it feeling you've contributed.   It's not that complicated.   

Always love the opinion of the "worlds too populated" people....somehow they are never part of the problem and are unwilling to help. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well you know its very easy to help the planet out.   Take yourself out of the equation then 2 things are solved.  If you are right less population and you can go into it feeling you've contributed.   It's not that complicated.   

Always love the opinion of the "worlds too populated" people....somehow they are never part of the problem and are unwilling to help. 

My wife and I only have one child, to replace two of us. 

My cousin and his wife, six.  :lol: 

We're running out of fish in the oceans, we're bulldozing the rainforest to plant crops, and we keep adding people.  US population growth is reasonably stable, the rest of the world 🌍 is having a fuck festival.   

It's my opinion the planet isn't capable of sustaining 7.75 billion people the way we live...  long term.  Well, not just mine.   

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-07-25/population-growth-world-overshoot-day/11320990

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

We're running out of fish in the oceans, we're bulldozing the rainforest to plant crops, and we keep adding people.  US population growth is reasonably stable, the rest of the world 🌍 is having a fuck festival.   

It's my opinion the planet isn't capable of sustaining 7.75 billion people the way we live...  long term.  Well, not just mine.   

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-07-25/population-growth-world-overshoot-day/11320990

Sure thing Bill.  :lol:  

You can still do your part.  

Many more than you think are in decline or will be in the next few decades.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-with-declining-population

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

God said to populate the earth. You’re not fulfilling the lord’s wishes. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

God said to populate the earth. You’re not fulfilling the lord’s wishes. 

Well, I don't believe in God, and the Bible is pure fiction.  Well written though, it's really stood the test of time.    

• Gold Member

The whole "der planet is too populated" Is just more libshit nonsense for the atheists to believe in..

Just in the US alone do you realize how much empty land there is? 

Do you realize how much food just an acre of land could produce if we truly wanted ? 

A good garden, greenhouse and some chickens could feed a family of 4 easily. 

But instead most Americans are just Mcdonald eating morons waiting for another handout. Crying about the planet as they eat their big corporation poison. 

Edited by EvilBird