Check your account email address ×

Do Americans Know What a Massive Ripoff American Life Really Is?

Mainecat

long but good read……

Do Americans Know What a Massive Ripoff American Life Really Is?

https://eand.co/do-americans-know-what-a-massive-ripoff-american-life-really-is-8804aa6b65fa 

I’ve recently moved to the States — shudder — for a year or two. And I’m shocked at how expensive just life is. For no good reason at all. 

When I put my economist hat on, a fact becomes clear to me. American life is a gigantic rip-off, one of the world’s biggest, and that’s why America is now effectively a country of poor people, and that makes it a nation of angry, cruel, and selfish ones, too. 

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me start over. American life is the biggest ripoff in the world. Or at least one of the biggest, in the top five, certainly. Just…existing. It costs way, way more than it should. So much so that America cannot ever move forward as a society. So, trapped in a cycle, which economists call a “poverty trap,” Americans now stay poor. 

Americans don’t quite get this, though. Why would they? They’ve never lived anywhere else. So let me give you a few examples which, especially if you’re American, might be illuminating. We’ll begin with basic bills, and then zoom out from there.

I disagree with a lot of his premises. The HC issues is a big one, I'll give him that. But you don't need a lot of the expenses he's referencing. Consumerism is what causes a lot of people to live "poor". Oh I can't buy dinner but I have a $1,500 phone and an new ride sitting in the driveway on an 8% loan. He also talks about utilities compared to the UK as well, and sure, we pay more but our living spaces are significantly larger than the average UK home too. Yes, CCs are a problem, but again, it's the user's choice to buy the shit they want. I see way more bad spending habits than I see people painted in the corner on a limited income having to use CCs. He compares the conflict in America vs. Canada and the UK without taking into accord that combined, the UK and Canada are a third of the US population. That whole opinion piece just seems like a slam on Americanism from someone who probably doesn't see much outside of the city life. Just my $.02

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SShooterZ said:

I disagree with a lot of his premises. The HC issues is a big one, I'll give him that. But you don't need a lot of the expenses he's referencing. Consumerism is what causes a lot of people to live "poor". Oh I can't buy dinner but I have a $1,500 phone and an new ride sitting in the driveway on an 8% loan. He also talks about utilities compared to the UK as well, and sure, we pay more but our living spaces are significantly larger than the average UK home too. Yes, CCs are a problem, but again, it's the user's choice to buy the shit they want. I see way more bad spending habits than I see people painted in the corner on a limited income having to use CCs. He compares the conflict in America vs. Canada and the UK without taking into accord that combined, the UK and Canada are a third of the US population. That whole opinion piece just seems like a slam on Americanism from someone who probably doesn't see much outside of the city life. Just my $.02

Healthcare here does suck. Other than a few pockets, the entire system is profit driven. A consumption based economy is only sustainable to a point. With China and basically the whole of Asia now getting in the materialism thing, shortages and supply chain issues are only getting worse.  I adopted a lifestyle of minimalism in 2008. I’ve never looked back. It’s not for everyone, but I really like it. One problem with a lot of people is they’ve acquired or seek out simply too much stuff. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Healthcare here does suck. Other than a few pockets, the entire system is profit driven. A consumption based economy is only sustainable to a point. With China and basically the whole of Asia now getting in the materialism thing, shortages and supply chain issues are only getting worse.  I adopted a lifestyle of minimalism in 2008. I’ve never looked back. It’s not for everyone, but I really like it. One problem with a lot of people is they’ve acquired or seek out simply too much stuff. 

That is why my bud who builds poll sheds is bringing home over 200k a yr . 

It is true most just have 2 much shit me included . I just look at the shit/toys I have stored and have not even seen in over a yr . 

1 hour ago, SShooterZ said:

Healthcare and utilities are two good points he made. Our healthcare situation is absurd and unsustainable. We get ripped off on utilities on as well, for reasons he pointed out. 

You are right though that Americans live in excess. There are cultural issues in this country, “keeping up with the Joneses”. People who we don’t even know, but we still want to impress them. 

I’m glad I learned to quit buying shit that I really don’t need. It’s amazing how much just not buying shit all the time simplifies life. I’ve taken the practice of putting stuff on Amazon in my cart and leaving it sit and then later realizing I don’t even need it, so I don’t buy it. 

• Like 4

want to see expensive, spend a month in Australia - which, believe it or not isn't flat, toilets flush the same (Coriolis Effect) and the moon and sun do not revolve around it.  they have Ute's, kangaroos, everything is venomous, it's expensive and a place I might spend winters after retirement.   

:)  

14 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

want to see expensive, spend a month in Australia - which, believe it or not isn't flat, toilets flush the same (Coriolis Effect) and the moon and sun do not revolve around it.  they have Ute's, kangaroos, everything is venomous, it's expensive and a place I might spend winters after retirement.   

I could see the draw to visit Australia but not necessarily to live there when there’s so much here. Why not Arizona or Florida? :dunno:

• Like 1

• Gold Member
49 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

And they got Storm Troopers that beat you senseless for leaving your house during Covid lockdown ! Sounds like a great place for retirement! 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I could see the draw to visit Australia but not necessarily to live there when there’s so much here. Why not Arizona or Florida? :dunno:

Florida & Arizona are gray panther havens full of STD's riding on golf carts

Australia has Koala bears that just piss on you

11 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

And they got Storm Troopers that beat you senseless for leaving your house during Covid lockdown ! Sounds like a great place for retirement! 😂😂😂

Not concerned, have a friend that's a Sydney Narcotics Officer

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Inhabitants of Australia are descendants of the worlds largest penal colony. An Aussie woman is comparative to strength to an american male. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Inhabitants of Australia are descendants of the worlds largest penal colony. An Aussie woman is comparative to strength to an american male. 

otb, I almost got my ass kicked by an entire rugby team for making a joke about that fact.  

a pitcher of beer calmed them down, then four more... :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Health insurance is definitely a huge freakin rip off and covers nothing it’s basically unaffordable and why I don’t have it.

I dont blame ya. I never had it untill I was 48 and married my current wife. 

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Smart if ya ask me. same with my boss mid 40s he got it. They want more than I pay for a mortgage each month and we don’t even use probably quarter or that yearly premium on a bad year so yup pass. They give you a huge discount being uninsured too it makes you wonder how bad they screw the insurance companies.

9 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Health insurance is definitely a huge freakin rip off and covers nothing it’s basically unaffordable and why I don’t have it.

If something major happens to you good luck trying to pay that bill. How do you sleep at night without health ins. ?

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

You dodged a bullet if you never had anything major happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Smart if ya ask me. same with my boss mid 40s he got it. They want more than I pay for a mortgage each month and we don’t even use probably quarter or that yearly premium on a bad year so yup pass. They give you a huge discount being uninsured too it makes you wonder how bad they screw the insurance companies.

No, going without health ins. is not smart. If you have something major happen to you like most surgeries, good luck paying that bill without some form of coverage.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

If something major happens to you good luck trying to pay that bill. How do you sleep at night without health ins. ?

You dodged a bullet if you never had anything major happen.

I sleep pretty good a solid 6-7hrs thanks 😂. We’re pretty healthy It’s a calculated risk that my wife and I decide on each year after checking pricing. It’s just plain unaffordable it’s either risk it and live decently pay the few small hospital bills ourselves and hope nothing major happens or have it and live like that article broke and scrapping by with no money to enjoy life and do things. We choose to risk it and enjoy life rather than work and stress to just pay freakin bills.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
Just now, snoughnut said:

No, going without health ins. is not smart. If you have something major happen to you like most surgeries, good luck paying that bill without some form of coverage.

Paid for a pregnancy no insurance that’s fairly major 👍. Like I said they give you a huge discount if you have no insurance even more if you offer to pay the total at once and not make payments. It’s a risk sure something big could happen and it couldn’t.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I sleep pretty good a solid 6-7hrs thanks 😂. We’re pretty healthy It’s a calculated risk that my wife and I decide on each year after checking pricing. It’s just plain unaffordable it’s either risk it and live decently pay the few small hospital bills ourselves and hope nothing major happens or have it and live like that article broke and scrapping by with no money to enjoy life and do things. We choose to risk it and enjoy life rather than work and stress to just pay freakin bills.

I thought the same thing until I developed a tumor in my stomach 3 years ago, human invincibility is a dangerous thing. Hope won't get you to far and at some point in most of our lives major health issues do happen. There is no doubt that the healthcare system in this country is messed up, too much greed from hospitals, ins. co's. and pharma.

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I thought the same thing until I developed a tumor in my stomach 3 years ago, human invincibility is a dangerous thing. Hope won't get you to far and at some point in most of our lives major health issues do happen. There is no doubt that the healthcare system in this country is messed up, too much greed from hospitals, ins. co's. and pharma.

We’ll we cross our fingers and hope that doesn’t happen. I’m sure we’ll have it down the road but while the wife is home with the kids basically not working other than few hours fill in a week it just makes no sense to us to be paying 2k month for a “decent” silver policy that still doesn’t cover shit and you still pay out of pocket on top of that 2k. I’m not the only one who feels this way I know a few people and work with some that have decent above average paying jobs but can just not justify the insane cost of insurance for a family. Healthcare is 100% fucked. It’s about the only thing I agree with on the democrats side.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Stomach cancer is what took my mom. Horrible way to die. Good to hear that they caught it in time with you. My mom was a tough as as nails German/Catholic woman. Never went to the doctor unless she was almost feeling dead. 

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Stomach cancer is what took my mom. Horrible way to die. Good to hear that they caught it in time with you. My mom was a tough as as nails German/Catholic woman. Never went to the doctor unless she was almost feeling dead. 

Thanks, I had a GIST tumor, they're kind of rare. Low grade cancer, low mitotic rate and confined to the tumor. I had it removed and my chances of recurrence are 3% or less and I'm very thankful for that to sat the least. I can relate to your mom, I'm the same way, I can't stand going to the doctor/hospital.

• Gold Member

Personally Id rather have no insurance, with plenty of money in the bank. 

Versus having insurance with zero money in the bank. 

Insurance companies wouldn't exist if it wasnt a racket. 

That said I am still glad I have it. When my Son got sick I would of been bankrupt . $200k+ in medical bills came to $30k instead. We have it thru my Wife but its outrageous how expensive it is. But in my case it was worth every penny. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Health insurance is definitely a huge freaking rip off and covers nothing it’s basically unaffordable and why I don’t have it.

most would be better served with a HD plan and a legal requirement to have a set of published costs that are the same for payers and insured.   my sons 2 50-60k knee surgeries were under 20k with the insurance discount.   Insurance should be there just to cover major things like that and cancer and heart attacks etc not basic body maint if the real cost was what one uninusred paid.    

• Like 1