Check your account email address ×

*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Dave said:

Of course he is.... JJ Didn't win any cups in his 40s...SR won 2.

Jimmie won his 7 Cups inside an 11 year span. That's domination. And during what is arguably a much more competitive time in Nascar's history.

The wife and I bookended the Pool. She's on top and I'm at the bottom.

I should get bonus points for managing to finish dead last out of 136 enterants.  :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Jimmie won his 7 Cups inside an 11 year span. That's domination. And during what is arguably a much more competitive time in Nascar's history.

I should get bonus points for managing to finish dead last out of 136 enterants.  :lol:

Did you forget to get your picks in?

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Jimmie won during the most boring time in Nascar history....the 90s and early 2000s were the most competitive imo.

10 minutes ago, Dave said:

Jimmie won during the most boring time in Nascar history....the 90s and early 2000s were the most competitive imo.

I think if you were to look at qualifying times for the top 25 between then and now you  would see today's times are much closer.

Just now, Blackstar said:

No, I picked. They all went out in that first crash.

I lost one from each team in the first crash and ended up mid pack in the pool with both teams...im happy with that.

:lol:

Just now, ckf said:

I think if you were to look at qualifying times for the top 25 between then and now you  would see today's times are much closer.

Well of course....too many rules....I think...Chad Knauss....was the reason JJ won...Just like Evernham was the reason Gordon won. Guys like Earnhardt and Shrub can win in anything. JJ and Gordon not so much.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Well of course....too many rules....I think...Chad Knauss....was the reason JJ won...Just like Evernham was the reason Gordon won. Guys like Earnhardt and Shrub can win in anything. JJ and Gordon not so much.

Those rules are what makes for a much more competitive field today.

I would not say Senior could win in anything, he won in stock cars. It will be interesting to see how JJ does this year in Indycar's. I don't expect much as I think he is past his prime.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I would not say Senior could win in anything, he won in stock cars. It will be interesting to see how JJ does this year in Indycar's. I don't expect much as I think he is past his prime.

You're missing my point about win in anything...if princess JJs car wasn't perfect he wrecked....you started seeing that more and more....Earnhardt and Shrub could win in ill handling cars...

1 hour ago, Dave said:

I lost one from each team in the first crash and ended up mid pack in the pool with both teams...im happy with that.

:lol:

My second team is Easy Pickin. It finished 22nd. I picked McDowell and Dillon. My third pick went out in the first crash as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

It will be interesting to see what Jimmie can do in Indy. Like you, I'm not expecting much really. If you caught that interview he did, he said going Indy car racing was a dream of his since he was a kid and now he gets to live out that dream as his final chapter in racing.

Sounds like he doesn't need to be successful there, just hopes to be competitive.

Dave can rant on about how competitive racing was in the 80's and 90's when most of these guys were out of shape, drank beer and smoked cigs. They were lucky if 10-12 cars were competitive and by the end of the race there was 4-6 cars on the lead lap.

It was a great time in Nascar. They had drivers with a lot of character and the cars didn't look the same.

And you want to talk rules? I remember them changing the rules ever 3-4 races. The Fords are faster on the superspeedway so chevy gets to change their windsheild angle. Then the Fords couldn't win so they let them change the back window or change the spoiler height.

And the cheating that went on undetected? lol.

Different times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It will be interesting to see what Jimmie can do in Indy. Like you, I'm not expecting much really. If you caught that interview he did, he said going Indy car racing was a dream of his since he was a kid and now he gets to live out that dream as his final chapter in racing.

Sounds like he doesn't need to be successful there, just hopes to be competitive.

Dave can rant on about how competitive racing was in the 80's and 90's when most of these guys were out of shape, drank beer and smoked cigs. They were lucky if 10-12 cars were competitive and by the end of the race there was 4-6 cars on the lead lap.

It was a great time in Nascar. They had drivers with a lot of character and the cars didn't look the same.

And you want to talk rules? I remember them changing the rules ever 3-4 races. The Fords are faster on the superspeedway so chevy gets to change their windsheild angle. Then the Fords couldn't win so they let them change the back window or change the spoiler height.

And the cheating that went on undetected? lol.

Different times.

Better times....by a mile.

• Like 1

Also I will say the reason you say it's more competitive now and so many are on the same lap is because they've made it so hard to pass....races like Atlanta for example are almost unwatchable.....to me this is not competitive whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Also I will say the reason you say it's more competitive now and so many are on the same lap is because they've made it so hard to pass....races like Atlanta for example are almost unwatchable.....to me this is not competitive whatsoever.

We get it.....you are a fan of that era. Fact is there are more drivers with a valid chance to win today than there was back then. The powerhouse teams like JGR, HMS, SHR and Penske have 18-20 cars entered in every race that have a chance at seeing the checkers first. I don't like it, but it is what it is...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ckf said:

We get it.....you are a fan of that era. Fact is there are more drivers with a valid chance to win today than there was back then. The powerhouse teams like JGR, HMS, SHR and Penske have 18-20 cars entered in every race that have a chance at seeing the checkers first. I don't like it, but it is what it is...

Bring back North Wilkesboro and Rockingham as well.

And there was powerhouse teams in the 90s as well Roush...Hendrick...Childress...Gibbs...Penske

Edited by Dave

• Gold Member
35 minutes ago, Dave said:

Plate racing and "the chase" ruined it for me, if I even watch a race I just try to catch the last 20 or 30 laps. So boring.

1 minute ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Plate racing and "the chase" ruined it for me, if I even watch a race I just try to catch the last 20 or 30 laps. So boring.

I don't mind the plate racing actually....I have mixed feeling on the chase and don't like the stages....during the race....totally agree with you about seeing the last 20 30 laps.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And I shud get bonus points being #1 without even asking you who I shud pic🤪 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Kryle winning a championship while missing 1/2 the season was the final nail in the coffin for me.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave said:

I don't mind the plate racing actually....I have mixed feeling on the chase and don't like the stages....during the race....totally agree with you about seeing the last 20 30 laps.

Plate racing is boring as hell.