Check your account email address ×

Wrenching on Vehicles

Had a customer with a Buick.  Power steering problem.  I told him it needed a pump.  He bought the re-man . Couldn’t get it bled.   Had the parts store replace with another.  Still same problem. He was convinced the rack was bad. So he brought it to me.  Told him I would change the $ 1000 rack but it isn’t going to fix it.  Bought a OEM pump fixed the problem. 

• Like 1

My kids steering on his 2003 Honda has been leaking for 6+ months now.  I told him to keep the reservoir full and keep driving it.  If it gets to a point where you start feeling issues with a full power steering fluid reservoir, we are dumping the car.  I'm going through this right now with my 2005 1500HD - but that is the winter vehicle.  It hauls sleds.  Its getting fixed.  LOL

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Most new cars have no tranny dipstick I’ve even seen some with no oil dipstick freakin Audi comes to mind.

I am not a fan of this shit.  It shows where we are going as far as being “mechanically inclined”.  This is very evident in motor sports.  Complete imbeciles getting into it without a hint of where the spark plugs are.....or what they do.

It won’t be long before it takes a dealer to open the hoods of cars, trucks....and sleds!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I am not a fan of this shit.  It shows where we are going as far as being “mechanically inclined”.  This is very evident in motor sports.  Complete imbeciles getting into it without a hint of where the spark plugs are.....or what they do.

It won’t be long before it takes a dealer to open the hoods of cars, trucks....and sleds!

We are already there.  Remember when you had Tv, appliances repair? It is by design.  The manufacturers want you to go to the dealer or better yet..   buy a new one. 

Just now, Cold War said:

We are already there.  Remember when you had Tv, appliances repair? It is by design.  The manufacturers want you to go to the dealer or better yet..   buy a new one. 

HCS is turning out to be a “seek a dealer for your fix” advice site.  It’s gotten hilariously silly.  Basic questions that can’t be answered by so few anymore.  I actually think most just don’t want to bother with advice to people that shouldn’t own any tools at all.  (See: Tool Kit)

45 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

HCS is turning out to be a “seek a dealer for your fix” advice site.  It’s gotten hilariously silly.  Basic questions that can’t be answered by so few anymore.  I actually think most just don’t want to bother with advice to people that shouldn’t own any tools at all.  (See: Tool Kit)

When I bought my RZR,  years ago I thought it would be good idea to join a site and get some tips or knowledge.  
sweet fuck,  what a bunch of retards. :lol:

Before I was booted off for calling out the administrator (go to guy,  smartest guy on site). about not knowing shit about Polaris clutches.   Most of the topics went like ....I tried to change my own oil and stripped out or broke off plug. What do I do now??? 

Edited by Cold War
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Find the factory service manual before you attempt a job like that.  Hopefully you don't have to do it laying on your back in the driveway.

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-(FSM)-Every-Model-USDM-EU

15 hours ago, Tomas. said:

So I am going to pull the steering rack out of my other half's 2004 Forester on Friday. It is leaking from the top where the input shaft is. I have a seal kit and I am probably going to attempt to change the seals. Has anyone ever done this before? I cannot find any info online for this particular job. 

20210410_152021.jpg

Unless yours is way different than the one I did, all that was needed was misc size wrenches and a snap ring pliers. Took all but 20 minutes to have the seal replaced after the rack was out of the vehicle. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Man, I remember doing this type of work on my own vehicles.  It's all possible with the right amount of "want to" or "need to", some decent mechanical ability and the correct tools.  Out of those, i now only have the tools.  Fuck all that noize.  I like fucking with my motorized toys but I don't even change my own oil on my cars any longer.

IMHO, Thomas, with you needing the special tools for this....and assuming they cannot be rented, I'd consider just letting a shop do the work or, what Greg said above works really well also.  But, you do seem rather mechanically inclined and that's a good thing!  I'd really take a look at the "special tools" you said you needed and see what you can do without then, try to locate them used or borrow them from a local shop if you can.

Man, I kinda miss the days of easy to work on vehicles where you could knock out a water pump, chain, belts then, knock out a full tune-up in a day....and a six pack!

I hope I am at least a little mechanically inclined lol. My dad owned a transmission shop for the first 2/3rds of my life. Unfortunately most of those years I was too young and stupid so I didn't learn 90% of what I should have but I did learn quite a bit. He also didn't really want me to take over because he saw where the trade was headed and wanted better for me. So I really showed him by moving out west and getting my millwright ticket! Lmao.

Unfortunately even though I am a millwright, I am in a shitty situation. I got my ticket through a company I still work for that doesn't really let me do millwright work. I do general plant maintenance for a steel fab shop. I was able to get my ticket because for the first time in my life, I did really well in school as well as because of my upbringing I had a solid mechanical background.

Last Saturday I did oil change, spark plugs, fuel filter, timing belt and water pump on this thing. Air box and washer fluid has to be pulled to do the plugs and rad has to be pulled to do the timing lol. Fucking Subarus lol.

4 hours ago, Edmo said:

You have to remove motor mounts in my sons car just  to replace the trans fluid. And there’s a dipstick down there also to check the fluid level. :lol: Not on top like they used to be, down behind the motor mount.

My wife drove an 05 escape V6 before this and the alternator went. I called around to two shops and the dealer and they all quoted me $1400. I said fuck that and did it myself. The alternator was $200 and they were qouting $1200 in labour because you had to drop the subframe on the left side to access the alternator. Fucking Ford lol.

2 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

My kids steering on his 2003 Honda has been leaking for 6+ months now.  I told him to keep the reservoir full and keep driving it.  If it gets to a point where you start feeling issues with a full power steering fluid reservoir, we are dumping the car.  I'm going through this right now with my 2005 1500HD - but that is the winter vehicle.  It hauls sleds.  Its getting fixed.  LOL

She has been keeping it topped up for a few months while the weather got nice. I have a garage that I can work in but it is nice not to have the car dripping on my face because it is covered in snow lol.

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Most new cars have no tranny dipstick I’ve even seen some with no oil dipstick freakin Audi comes to mind.

My buddy used to have a 08 A4 with no dipstick. Computer said his oil level was 100%. Reality was it wasn't anywhere close to full and took it the timing chain out of it which destroyed the rest of the engine. So wreaking yard engine went in.

What is nice about the '97 WRX I drive is even though it is a manual, Subaru back then thought it was a good idea to put a dipstick on them. 

Edited by Tomas.

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Had a customer with a Buick.  Power steering problem.  I told him it needed a pump.  He bought the re-man . Couldn’t get it bled.   Had the parts store replace with another.  Still same problem. He was convinced the rack was bad. So he brought it to me.  Told him I would change the $ 1000 rack but it isn’t going to fix it.  Bought a OEM pump fixed the problem. 

I’ve had ok luck with remanufacured steering racks. The headache for me has been MAP sensors and oxygen sensors. I’ve never had one that wasn’t OEM which didn’t still throw codes out if the box. There’s a good reason why OEM sensors are 4 times more expensive. They work. 

I found a used steering rack out of an STI Impreza that will be a direct swap. It has low kms on it which is nice. 

The only way I am getting a "new" or reman rack is if I order directly from Japan as it is a right hand drive vehicle. Prices and shipping on those things are outrageous.

One of the benefits to putting this STI rack in is it is a tighter steering ratio. Another benefit is that I will have a rack in it and I can trying putting the seals in her old one. I already have the seals and they were $50. But that way I won't be stressed out worrying about getting her car back on the road as soon as possible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

BMWs have no auto tranny dipstick either. The fluid level is set based on the temperature of the fluid. It’s not really an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I found a used steering rack out of an STI Impreza that will be a direct swap. It has low kms on it which is nice. 

The only way I am getting a "new" or reman rack is if I order directly from Japan as it is a right hand drive vehicle. Prices and shipping on those things are outrageous.

One of the benefits to putting this STI rack in is it is a tighter steering ratio. Another benefit is that I will have a rack in it and I can trying putting the seals in her old one. I already have the seals and they were $50. But that way I won't be stressed out worrying about getting her car back on the road as soon as possible.

You’ll notice the difference with the Sti rack. In fact it’s quite noticeable. You will need an alignment. 

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I hope I am at least a little mechanically inclined lol. My dad owned a transmission shop for the first 2/3rds of my life. Unfortunately most of those years I was too young and stupid so I didn't learn 90% of what I should have but I did learn quite a bit. He also didn't really want me to take over because he saw where the trade was headed and wanted better for me. So I really showed him by moving out west and getting my millwright ticket! Lmao.

Unfortunately even though I am a millwright, I am in a shitty situation. I got my ticket through a company I still work for that doesn't really let me do millwright work. I do general plant maintenance for a steel fab shop. I was able to get my ticket because for the first time in my life, I did really well in school as well as because of my upbringing I had a solid mechanical background.

Last Saturday I did oil change, spark plugs, fuel filter, timing belt and water pump on this thing. Air box and washer fluid has to be pulled to do the plugs and rad has to be pulled to do the timing lol. Fucking Subarus lol.

My wife drove an 05 escape V6 before this and the alternator went. I called around to two shops and the dealer and they all quoted me $1400. I said fuck that and did it myself. The alternator was $200 and they were qouting $1200 in labour because you had to drop the subframe on the left side to access the alternator. Fucking Ford lol.

She has been keeping it topped up for a few months while the weather got nice. I have a garage that I can work in but it is nice not to have the car dripping on my face because it is covered in snow lol.

My buddy used to have a 08 A4 with no dipstick. Computer said his oil level was 100%. Reality was it wasn't anywhere close to full and took it the timing chain out of it which destroyed the rest of the engine. So wreaking yard engine went in.

Sounds about right for a vw/Audi. I absolutely hate everything about them and dread working on one when it comes in freaking nightmare.

7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You’ll notice the difference with the Sti rack. In fact it’s quite noticeable. You will need an alignment. 

Huge difference. I think it will drop the turns from lock to lock by either a half or more. I don't remember the exact ratio but I think it is currently 15.5:1 and the stil is 13:1 or 15.:1.

100% on the alignment. I am going to match it up as best I can and book it in to a shop.

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

BMWs have no auto tranny dipstick either. The fluid level is set based on the temperature of the fluid. It’s not really an issue. 

I only have issue with the fact that if it’s low it’s a pain in the ass to top off. Much easier when there is a dipstick right in your face but hey they save 13$ not putting them on so enjoy the savings 😉 

15 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’ve had ok luck with remanufacured steering racks. The headache for me has been MAP sensors and oxygen sensors. I’ve never had one that wasn’t OEM which didn’t still throw codes out if the box. There’s a good reason why OEM sensors are 4 times more expensive. They work. 

👍
I won’t do ABS sensors either.  I don’t trust any China electrical parts.  Tired of getting burned on them. Depending on difficulty of putting rack in .  8 hr job... no way.  They only want to reimburse you for the part. 

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

👍
I won’t do ABS sensors either.  I don’t trust any China electrical parts.  Tired of getting burned on them. Depending on difficulty of putting rack in .  8 hr job... no way.  They only want to reimburse you for the part. 

Labors INC. 😉 😂 

1040835A-3A92-4D90-9772-B0C7101194F7.jpeg

28 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I only have issue with the fact that if it’s low it’s a pain in the ass to top off. Much easier when there is a dipstick right in your face but hey they save 13$ not putting them on so enjoy the savings 😉 

The only reason it would be low would be due to a leak and that would be noticeable on the garage floor or driveway. I wouldn’t own a vehicle with either a transmission or engine leak. It would be fixed immediately. So once again, non-issue. 

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The only reason it would be low would be due to a leak and that would be noticeable on the garage floor or driveway. I wouldn’t own a vehicle with either a transmission or engine leak. It would be fixed immediately. So once again, non-issue. 

Not so much leaks more like wrecked car wiped nose out and needs trans cooler replaced you lose that quart swapping it out. Makes a simple job a pain in the ass.

41 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Labors INC. 😉 😂 

1040835A-3A92-4D90-9772-B0C7101194F7.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Yep.   I love the .02 for re using name plates and moldings too.  🙄

Good old CCC... How about the deduct for overlap...? Gotta love it. We just sub out Mech work and add markup to the sublet amount. Fuck insurance companies.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Good old CCC... How about the deduct for overlap...? Gotta love it. We just sub out Mech work and add markup to the sublet amount. Fuck insurance companies.

That’s what we do boss rather make mark up than waste our time workin time for time on mechanical. Only time I do any mechanical is if it doesn’t move I’ll throw a control arm or strut at it or whatever bare minimum to get it movable. Fuck them pay $46 bucks hr to us but they’ll give the dealer $130 hr no problem for the same fucking work.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JEFF said:

I like the partial blend, now.  So if you are just blending into a panel they don’t want to pay full price for painting the panel because you’re not spraying color on the entire panel.   The paint is getting ridiculous 350 for a pint of paint. 

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s what we do boss rather make mark up than waste our time workin time for time on mechanical. Only time I do any mechanical is if it doesn’t move I’ll throw a control arm or strut at it or whatever bare minimum to get it movable. Fuck them pay $46 bucks hr to us but they’ll give the dealer $130 hr no problem for the same fucking work.

Did a full exhaust yesterday.  Paid like an hour.  Yeah,  maybe brand new. None of this shit wants to come apart . 46 an hour :lol:  criminal.