Check your account email address ×

Post your new sleds.....or any for that matter...

Poncho

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Glenn in Caledon said:

Hasn't touched one of mine since 2010. And all he did was clean the primary , pop a new factory primary spring and lube the pins. He's not up on his newer sleds as he's been selling cars for quit a while. Would like to try riding an xcr this year. I bought the xcr front track shock for my pros to fix the bottoming issues I had. 

How did the XCR shock work out? I have the same sled as you, the sled rocks but the front arm shock is a bit weak when ya really get smashin big stuff at speed.

7 hours ago, Garth said:

How did the XCR shock work out? I have the same sled as you, the sled rocks but the front arm shock is a bit weak when ya really get smashin big stuff at speed.

Has been well worth it so far. I Haven't quite got all the shocks balanced together yet but the shock is definitely cable of taking away the sucker hits when you bounce over holes. It's the shock the l.es. should have all c9me with (or any sled with the dual adjuster upgrades).

Also trying to rebalance the sled for c+a skis . Got on some icey trails and with the the big carbides first time in 4 years I've missed having studs. 

2881947 is the polaris part number for the kit I used. Comes with bushings Spring etc. List was 500.

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I've seen Fuzzy and his group on a ride...... I thought it was the annual Women on Snow charity event, from the looks of things.....

Well, you do know 50 KPH is the speed limit. Do you not obey those laws ?

We came up on two OPP on the return trip at Deep River....same guy as last year.  He only checked my license and the other guys.  Shot the shit for awhile......I mentioned to him that I was impressed he stuck to the posted limit.....he replied that he noticed we caught up to him very quickly......I told him I thought my speedo was metric.....lol. Actually he was a good guy

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

How on earth did you legally catch him, if he was riding at the speed limit? 

No idea.......Good thing they had the POLICE label on the back of their jackets, otherwise we would have passed them like asshats.....

we must have passed 30 sleds that day all driving down the middle of the trail, each one had mirrors too.  I don't understand why people don't stay to the right.  The trail was about as wide as the 401.  Then when you finally get by them they get all upset.  I wonder how they react in their own cars when they get passed.

10 minutes ago, Poncho said:

No idea.......Good thing they had the POLICE label on the back of their jackets, otherwise we would have passed them like asshats.....

we must have passed 30 sleds that day all driving down the middle of the trail, each one had mirrors too.  I don't understand why people don't stay to the right.  The trail was about as wide as the 401.  Then when you finally get by them they get all upset.  I wonder how they react in their own cars when they get passed.

It's your right to ride the middle of the trail when you buy your permit as long as nobody is coming from the opposite direction. Didn't you know that. What is annoying and dangerous is the guy that passes you when you are on the far right side of the trail but comes so close the skis almost touch when there's no need to 

OFSC trails are not your personal racetrack.   :)

How many guys did you pass that had avalanche shovels mounted to their backpacks? 

3 hours ago, Poncho said:

4 hours ago, Poncho said:

According to my 70 year old mother they don't like it.

She told me she passed him because he was only doing about 75kph on a posted 80 highway.

7 hours ago, Poncho said:

Sorry, reread your post.

Thought you meant police reaction to being passed when they are in a cruiser.

10 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

OFSC trails are not your personal racetrack.   :)

How many guys did you pass that had avalanche shovels mounted to their backpacks? 

Plenty, but mostly people that believe blocking you from passing is a safe practice.  The fat dude on the Yamaha with the giant mirrors blocking me was so worried about me he nearly hit the person in front him.  I was laughing so hard, my brother and the guy with me following along saw the entire drama....funny stuff.

I think that guy posted on the Yamaha forum.  Username is "TinyViper".

He mentioned a streak of red and black Polaris blew by him at warp speed, launching 100 pounds of snow&ice into his face.  Apparently knocked the butter tart and a couple molars right out of his mouth. 

He said if he catches you, he's gonna sit on you. 

14 hours ago, 02sled said:

It's your right to ride the middle of the trail when you buy your permit as long as nobody is coming from the opposite direction. Didn't you know that. What is annoying and dangerous is the guy that passes you when you are on the far right side of the trail but comes so close the skis almost touch when there's no need to 

Sure it is Gary, same on the highway too.  But only an idiot would think that way. It is an extremely dangerous practice to be anywhere but in the far right lane when operating a snowmobile on a trail.  It's just basic driving knowledge....surely you know that, really.....permits do not cater for ignorance....  For the 25 or so guys I passed on the left side, none had an issue. The only people with issue were the few in the middle of the trail with your entitlement of riding down the  middle of the trail......for some reason they hate being passed. They believe riding down the center lane is a safe practice....it's never safe, ever....

So next time your riding down the middle of the trail, if you feel a light tap on your snow flap, i will wave as I pass, please wave back and smile. 

Edited by Poncho

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Sure it is Gary, same on the highway too.  But only an idiot would think that way. It is an extremely dangerous practice to be anywhere but in the far right lane when operating a snowmobile on a trail.  It's just basic driving knowledge....surely you know that, really.....permits do not cater for ignorance....  For the 25 or so guys I passed on the left side, none had an issue. The only people with issue were the few in the middle of the trail with your entitlement of riding down the  middle of the trail......for some reason they hate being passed. They believe riding down the center lane is a safe practice....it's never safe, ever....

So next time your riding down the middle of the trail, if you feel a light tap on your snow flap, i will wave as I pass, please wave back and smile. 

Actually, 02 is right. There is no dividing line on a trail. Riding the center allows the driver to react to either the left or right to avoid a hazard.

There was an article in a sled mag about 12-14 years ago that explained this practice as "Gravel Road Rules". You run down the center of the road except in areas where you can't see an approaching vehicle or when a vehicle approaches. At those times, you slow down and move to the right.

Maybe Putzer has a copy in his basement.

Come to think of it. I have a pile of old mags stashed somewhere. I may have to do some digging.

My personal rule is (and the same thing I preach to anyone new), is always be on your side on anything blind (hill, curve, etc.).  But in reality, I endeavour to stay on the right, even at Asshat velocities.  Nothing will teach you control like always keeping your right ski just on the trail at high speeds. 

If everybody did this, there would be almost no collisions.  It's that simple. 

Poncho is certainly right about passing.... have encountered it many times myself.  And, it affects the psyche of the person being passed for whatever reason, which is a bonus.  Kind of like coming up behind somebody lollygagging in the left lane on the highway, who thinks they're driving plenty fast enough (looks at 02). 

Downloaded some stills from my GoPro last weekend.  Forgot about this near miss..... was right on my buddy's tail, and we both had to break hard-left because some guy was coming up and over the hill, totally on the wrong side of the trail.....

Wrong side.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Poncho said:

I was being sarcastic about being entitled to ride down the middle of the trail. I tend to hug the right just shy of my right ski getting sucked into the ungroomed edge. 

I have mirrors and use them and when I see someone coming up to pass I make sure they have as much room as possible. 

It's the ones that refuse to wait for a safe place to pass and will squeeze through a trail section that is just wide enough that they have to essentially clip skis as they are passing that are annoying. If I know the trail will be tight for quite some distance I will pull right over as far as is possible and stop to let them pass if need be. 

Or there are the other few that even when the trail is nice and wide will be annoyed by having to slow down for a minute or two because the trail at that point has some twists or blind hill crests that make it unsafe to pass. As soon as you clear that they want too make it clear how annoyed they are. They clip skis and as soon as they are in front of you swerve back in then hammer the throttle throwing up snow and ice intentionally. How dare anyone interfere with their ability to go as fast as they want regardless of the situation. This is rare but does happen.

I tend to ride with a varying group of people and the pace is set by what is comfortable for the group. If we have someone relatively new to the sport we slow it down for that person. If everyone is good to go we speed it up.

Edited by 02sled

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Downloaded some stills from my GoPro last weekend.  Forgot about this near miss..... was right on my buddy's tail, and we both had to break hard-left because some guy was coming up and over the hill, totally on the wrong side of the trail.....

Wrong side.jpg

That's fucking awesome