Check your account email address ×

Furnace advice needed.

irv

I "think" there can also be a discrepancy with the temperatures if the thermostat is set to say an oil furnace vs. a gas furnace....usually there is a dip switch or how the t-stat wires are connected to the actual t-stat that dictate this.

I also vaguely recall a setting on mine that used to do something funny with how the heat came back on, you tell it to call for heat at say 6AM, but it would heat up in phases vs. all at once.....I turned that off shortly after I installed mine years ago.

You likely have a furnace with a DC blower now, so if you do not already, just leave the fan on continuous vs. auto.....keeps the house at more constant & comfortable temperature throughout the entire house. And I always suggest people use F vs C temp settings.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There should be an indicator on the thermostat if its calling for heat, otherwise its likely the wife.  Lol.

Just did some reading, it is called  "thermostat differential" 

Not sure if ours is adjustable but it sounds like most are and one can set the differential up to 3 degrees.

http://www.green-energy-efficient-homes.com/programmable-thermostat-temperature-spread.html

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I "think" there can also be a discrepancy with the temperatures if the thermostat is set to say an oil furnace vs. a gas furnace....usually there is a dip switch or how the t-stat wires are connected to the actual t-stat that dictate this.

I also vaguely recall a setting on mine that used to do something funny with how the heat came back on, you tell it to call for heat at say 6AM, but it would heat up in phases vs. all at once.....I turned that off shortly after I installed mine years ago.

You likely have a furnace with a DC blower now, so if you do not already, just leave the fan on continuous vs. auto.....keeps the house at more constant & comfortable temperature throughout the entire house. And I always suggest people use F vs C temp settings.

Was thinking about that but the guy said yesterday, if I understood him correctly, it is best to use the fan on continuous mode only in the summer to help draw more cool air out of the basement. In the winter this has an opposite effect and makes the furnace run harder/more?

I may see if I can set/change the differential to 1 degree rather than 2?

It was also my understanding, with a 2 speed fan, that the lower fan speed would run the most to help maintain the desired temp rather than it kicking in on high speed to bring the temp back up?

Also, if I again understood the guy correctly, it takes a bit for the furnace/stat to adjust/get use to each other so after a couple days, they learn to work together better?

1 minute ago, irv said:

Not sure if ours is adjustable but it sounds like most are and one can set the differential up to 3 degrees.

http://www.green-energy-efficient-homes.com/programmable-thermostat-temperature-spread.html

Was thinking about that but the guy said yesterday, if I understood him correctly, it is best to use the fan on continuous mode only in the summer to help draw more cool air out of the basement. In the winter this has an opposite effect and makes the furnace run harder/more?

It was also my understanding, with a 2 speed fan, that the lower fan speed would run the most to help maintain the desired temp rather than it kicking in on high speed to bring the temp back up?

Also, if I again understood the guy correctly, it takes a bit for the furnace/stat to adjust/get use to each other so after a couple days, they learn to work together better?

The differential is likely 1 degC or 2 degF.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

The differential is likely 1 degC or 2 degF.

Our's is set in "F" and it is at 2 degrees. 

Going to do some more reading but being as Daikin is fairly new the market, not a lot of outside info is available yet.

11 minutes ago, irv said:

I leave our fan on year round....yes, the heat may kick on more, but that is the point, keep the entire house at one constant temperature vs. say the upper level hotter as heat rises.....for some, maybe this is a concern, for others, like myself, not a concern at all.

The fan does have 2 speeds...low for when idle and then ramps up when heat or cool is called for.....you can also change the speed of the fan with dip switches at idle or when calling for heat or cool. 

Cannot comment on the stat and the furnace working better together as time passes......might be a newer technology, but most t-stats are "dumb" devices and not smart, but yours might be something totally different. 

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I leave our fan on year round....yes, the heat may kick on more, but that is the point, keep the entire house at one constant temperature vs. say the upper level hotter as heat rises.....for some, maybe this is a concern, for others, like myself, not a concern at all.

The fan does have 2 speeds...low for when idle and then ramps up when heat or cool is called for.....you can also change the speed of the fan with dip switches at idle or when calling for heat or cool. 

Cannot comment on the stat and the furnace working better together as time passes......might be a newer technology, but most t-stats are "dumb" devices and not smart, but yours might be something totally different. 

My boss at work also says he does this. Going to have to try it I guess, especially with this new DC motor and the fact it costs way less to run.

It is way different than anything I have ever used but then again, our old furnace/thermostat was like 25+ yrs old.

Thanks for the info. :bc:

24 minutes ago, irv said:

Our's is set in "F" and it is at 2 degrees. 

Going to do some more reading but being as Daikin is fairly new the market, not a lot of outside info is available yet.

My Honeywell WiFi does not not have a settable differential temp but keeps the cottage to one degF, I keep mine in F as well.  Try going through the setup to make sure its configured for the type of equipment correctly and look at other parameters like heat cycle times as well.  This is the max number of times the heat can cycle per hour.

If you don't like the T-Stat, its an easy fix as there are many advanced ones on the market.

We had the dual purpose hot water tank (hot water/ floor heat) removed and installed a boiler. We also had all the programmable removed and switched over to the standard dial ones.Sofar it's working out great and we've managed to go 2mnths between fills vs every month

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There should be an indicator on the thermostat if its calling for heat, otherwise its likely the wife.  Lol.

It's always the wife.

Rule #1 it's always the wifes fault.

Rule #2. When it's not her fault rule #1 applies.

Rule #3 If you try and apply rule #1 or #2 get a blanket and pillow ready for the couch.

2 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We had the dual purpose hot water tank (hot water/ floor heat) removed and installed a boiler. We also had all the programmable removed and switched over to the standard dial ones.Sofar it's working out great and we've managed to go 2mnths between fills vs every month

I also removed the programmable bs.The old dial one works just fine.I'm here 24/7 and heat mostly by wood so a little different scenario than the city dwellers.

16 minutes ago, 02sled said:

It's always the wife.

Rule #1 it's always the wifes fault.

Rule #2. When it's not her fault rule #1 applies.

Rule #3 If you try and apply rule #1 or #2 get a blanket and pillow ready for the couch.

Can't believe Irv's wife lets him keep his temp at 65, that would be grounds for divorce here.  72 during the day and 69 in the evening, might as well call it a sauna.

26 minutes ago, gtserider said:

I also removed the programmable bs.The old dial one works just fine.I'm here 24/7 and heat mostly by wood so a little different scenario than the city dwellers.

The previous owner went cheap and had a tank installed. It was constantly heating up and chewing up propane. Our first 2 winters were pretty expensive and definitely more efficient now. We haven't had all the zones on at once since the initial startup and the house is actually warmer and the lines are hotter as well compared to before even when setting it to very hot. 

39 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Can't believe Irv's wife lets him keep his temp at 65, that would be grounds for divorce here.  72 during the day and 69 in the evening, might as well call it a sauna.

My wife likes 73 all the time and at times still complains that she's cold.

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's her doing, not mine! I try to tell her it's chilly in here and she say put on a some warmer clothes! :aggressive:

To be honest, I am use to it for the most part. I have went into friends homes who have theirs in the low 70's and you're not kidding when you say it feels like a sauna! As I have gotten older, I can't take the cold like I use to, but being too hot also bothers me as well.

Momma's going to play with the thermostat tonight, that's her thing so hopefully she can figure something out? If not, then just like the cooler temps she likes to keep the house at, I'll/we'll get use to it as well. 

39 minutes ago, irv said:

It's her doing, not mine! I try to tell her it's chilly in here and she say put on a some warmer clothes! :aggressive:

To be honest, I am use to it for the most part. I have went into friends homes who have theirs in the low 70's and you're not kidding when you say it feels like a sauna! As I have gotten older, I can't take the cold like I use to, but being too hot also bothers me as well.

Momma's going to play with the thermostat tonight, that's her thing so hopefully she can figure something out? If not, then just like the cooler temps she likes to keep the house at, I'll/we'll get use to it as well. 

Some womens temp regulation is screwy at best of times.Does she want the window open at night.It maybe that time and the temp is the least of your worry's. 

25 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Some womens temp regulation is screwy at best of times.Does she want the window open at night.It maybe that time and the temp is the least of your worry's. 

:lol:so true... especially in the summer. I get I'm cold turn off the air conditioning, I'm hot turn on the air conditioning, I'm hot open the window, I'm cold close the window. Meanwhile the temperature was just fine to begin with.

Then I wonder why the heck I'm the one getting out of bed and doing all this.... I'm not the one who's hot or cold.

Now that winter has hit.... I wake up in the night melting down. Go check the thermostat and it's been cranked up a few degrees because she was cold.

just set stat one degree warmer and on average it will be right on the money !  Also a tighter differential will cause your equipment cycle more frequently.  I run my fan all the time when heating or cooling is required on low speed sometimes medium if the wood stove is stoked lol 

1 hour ago, Boered said:

have you looked in the Canadian made furnace, napoleon?

Post #18, Boered. Already purchased and installed Daikin units.

http://daikincomfort.com/products/gas-furnaces-90/dm96vc

1 hour ago, Gman said:

just set stat one degree warmer and on average it will be right on the money !  Also a tighter differential will cause your equipment cycle more frequently.  I run my fan all the time when heating or cooling is required on low speed sometimes medium if the wood stove is stoked lol 

I've had the fan on for a while now and it doesn't seem so bad in at the current stat setting. Not sure about different fan speeds however as I think our's is either on or off? I'll have to dig further into it. 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Post #18, Boered. Already purchased and installed Daikin units.

http://daikincomfort.com/products/gas-furnaces-90/dm96vc

I've had the fan on for a while now and it doesn't seem so bad in at the current stat setting. Not sure about different fan speeds however as I think our's is either on or off? I'll have to dig further into it. 

Newer DC fan motors should have several speeds available.Low should just move air around,you wont even hear it.What did your install company put in for a thermostat? Did they run a new wire to the T stat the old 2 wire wont give you any options---.oh you had air so maybe 3 wires up to stat? You still should  be able to run the fan on low.it's a nice benefit. You wrote a big cheque  make the installer come good..If you have to run a new wire to the stat make sure it is the right place--away from drafts windows other vents etc.Original installers are subject to how much weed they smoked before doing the install on the new house.Just my 2c. Hope you get out on the sled this year.

e

Edited by gtserider

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

Newer DC fan motors should have several speeds available.Low should just move air around,you wont even hear it.What did your install company put in for a thermostat? Did they run a new wire to the T stat the old 2 wire wont give you any options---.oh you had air so maybe 3 wires up to stat? You still should  be able to run the fan on low.it's a nice benefit. You wrote a big cheque  make the installer come good..If you have to run a new wire to the stat make sure it is the right place--away from drafts windows other vents etc.Original installers are subject to how much weed they smoked before doing the install on the new house.Just my 2c. Hope you get out on the sled this year.

Only an on/off switch and no extra wire ran. It's a Daikin thermo.

The fan is on now and I can barely hear it so maybe it is just a low speed fan and nothing else?

7 hours ago, irv said:

Only an on/off switch and no extra wire ran. It's a Daikin thermo.

The fan is on now and I can barely hear it so maybe it is just a low speed fan and nothing else?

They can be set up in the furnace for speed selection when in constant fan mode then equipment takes control once unit is firing or cooling,  I worked at a carrier dealer when I did my Geo unit and went high end on everything that included there infinity stat which allows me to control humidifier, furnace, ac, and Hrv from thermostat stat with only four wires nice unit it also gives me control of fan speeds in constant mode low med or high.  

On my unit, that is now older, the fan speeds can be changed on the board inside the furnace with dip switches, you can change it for heat or air, plus I think also for when blower is at idle or when heat or air is called for by the t-stat.

Your installers either left the settings "stock" or set them based on other parameters, but could be changed if you wanted to I'm sure.

3 hours ago, Gman said:

They can be set up in the furnace for speed selection when in constant fan mode then equipment takes control once unit is firing or cooling,  I worked at a carrier dealer when I did my Geo unit and went high end on everything that included there infinity stat which allows me to control humidifier, furnace, ac, and Hrv from thermostat stat with only four wires nice unit it also gives me control of fan speeds in constant mode low med or high.  

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

On my unit, that is now older, the fan speeds can be changed on the board inside the furnace with dip switches, you can change it for heat or air, plus I think also for when blower is at idle or when heat or air is called for by the t-stat.

Your installers either left the settings "stock" or set them based on other parameters, but could be changed if you wanted to I'm sure.

I will be sure to ask them once we go through the manual/settings. We never did much of anything furnace related last night as we were busy. So far so good with everything! My wife and I still can't get over how quiet this unit is. One of her peeves was having to turn up the T.V. volume every time our old furnace kicked on/ran. With this new one, you can barely tell it kicked on, let alone is running.