Check your account email address ×

Furnace advice needed.

irv

6 hours ago, Stoney said:

On my unit, that is now older, the fan speeds can be changed on the board inside the furnace with dip switches, you can change it for heat or air, plus I think also for when blower is at idle or when heat or air is called for by the t-stat.

Your installers either left the settings "stock" or set them based on other parameters, but could be changed if you wanted to I'm sure.

Just had new furnace n AC installed in the fall, speed selection was as you've described via dip switches on the furnace board.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, ZRSledhead said:

Just had new furnace n AC installed in the fall, speed selection was as you've described via dip switches on the furnace board.

Exactly like mine....And if you refer to the manual, it tells you the cfm for each settings.

Nice being able to custume these how you like....I might adjust might again if and when we get the woodstove installed with a return vent right by it.

This is all I could find so far regarding fan speeds with my new furnace. I read my manual briefly and I didn't see anything about different fan speeds.

http://deltaairsystems.com/portfolio/dm96vc-gas-furnace/

"a Daikin two-stage, variable-speed gas furnace minimizes energy use by running at the lowest possible fan speed to produce just the right amount of heat to keep a steady, comfortable temperature in your home"

Not sure if it is just an on and off like I mentioned earlier, but it's leaning that way.

Edited by irv

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

Exactly like mine....And if you refer to the manual, it tells you the cfm for each settings.

Nice being able to custume these how you like....I might adjust might again if and when we get the woodstove installed with a return vent right by it.

Return by the woodstove, now your cooking. :)

Installer is a good friend, went with his suggestion. He did however say most of the problems he see's are installation related vs caused by the equipment itself. We only replaced our 30 something yr old furnace n AC because of an issue when changing insurance co's this fall. Sure lower bills will be nice but it'll take a very long time to put even a dent in the cost to upgrade. 

Edited by ZRSledhead

31 minutes ago, ZRSledhead said:

Installer is a good friend, went with his suggestion. He did however say most of the problems he see's are installation related vs caused by the equipment itself. We only replaced our 30 something yr old furnace n AC because of an issue when changing insurance co's this fall. Sure lower bills will be nice but it'll take a very long time to put even a dent in the cost to upgrade. 

I roughly did mine as I didn't know the actual numbers/year of ours, and being told, the efficiency likely decreased significantly over the years, it would take me roughly 11 yrs to pay for ours. 

That is just the gas savings, not the electricity for the DC motor so it will be less than the 11 yrs, just not sure how much less?

https://www.yourmoneypage.com/energy/furnace1.php

2 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

My brother and I installed my furnace, I was a little concerned afterwards that everything was as it should be, so a year or so after I had it, I had one of those pre-season check ups done prior to the winter....the guy made a few comments in regards to the install & asked who did it, told him self installed, his comment afterwards was that it put a lot of guys that do it for a living to shame.

After seeing how much time went into the small details,  better understand why he made such a point about actual equipment has less to do with reliability vs the install.  Good thing he does service for a living vs installs, no way doing it to this level you'd be able to get paid enough. I really appreciate the effort he put into it.

Edited by ZRSledhead

5 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

After seeing how much time went into the small details,  better understand why he made such a point about actual equipment has less to do with reliability vs the install.  Good thing he does service for a living vs installs, no way doing it to this level you'd be able to get paid enough. I really appreciate the effort he put into it.

5 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

That's the thing, need to balance between not overpricing yourself and still provide a good install....Fine line now a days.