Check your account email address ×

Voting power grab: HR1

Dems forcing top down control of elections. Automatic voter registration, forced 2 week early voting in every state, restoration of voting rights for felons, undermining of state voter ID requirements, codification of fraud prone ballot harvesting at the national level...

Seems unconstitutional as hell that the federal government would usurp state's rights to write their own election laws. 

Repubs are done. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Dems forcing top down control of elections. Automatic voter registration, forced 2 week early voting in every state, restoration of voting rights for felons, undermining of state voter ID requirements, codification of fraud prone ballot harvesting at the national level...

Seems unconstitutional as hell that the federal government would usurp state's rights to write their own election laws. 

Repubs are done. 

I think felons who served their time should absolutely have voting rights. Other than that lack voter verification is bad for everyone. Republicans can exploit that as much as democrats. Imagine having a 200% voter turn out lol

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Forced voting...lmao

Election Day should be a national holiday.

For sure. Take away a stupid holiday like presidents day and make voting day a national holiday..

• Like 3

I'm for the holiday. Vehemently opposed to automatic registration, mailing ballots unsolicited, ballot harvesting, and ID-free voting. 

Until we have a sound validation process, no election will be trusted anymore. Too much doubt sown on both sides. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm for the holiday. Vehemently opposed to automatic registration, mailing ballots unsolicited, ballot harvesting, and ID-free voting. 

Until we have a sound validation process, no election will be trusted anymore. Too much doubt sown on both sides. 

We already have laws against voter fraud.  No reason to make it harder or less convenient for law abiding Americans.  

21 minutes ago, Plissken said:

We already have laws against voter fraud.  No reason to make it harder or less convenient for law abiding Americans.  

do you drive the speed limit all the time?  Drive sober 100% of the time?  Never downloaded an MP3?

Unsolicited mailed ballots and ballot harvesting are far too ripe targets for either side, but especially the dems, to leave alone.

Should be like most of European and Asian countries.  Show ID at your polling place and vote in person.  Mail voting should be extenuating circumstances only, and early voting should be limited to one week prior to election day.  There's a reason "can I change my early vote" was trending in November.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Matt said:

do you drive the speed limit all the time?  Drive sober 100% of the time?  Never downloaded an MP3?

Unsolicited mailed ballots and ballot harvesting are far too ripe targets for either side, but especially the dems, to leave alone.

Should be like most of European and Asian countries.  Show ID at your polling place and vote in person.  Mail voting should be extenuating circumstances only, and early voting should be limited to one week prior to election day.  There's a reason "can I change my early vote" was trending in November.

How tempted have you felt to commit voter fraud?  How close have you come?  Voter turnout under 65% is fucking pathetic.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Yup or make it a Saturday.

Lots of us blue collar service people work-on Saturdays., so, having extended hrs on voting day, whichever day it falls on,  really helps.

20 hours ago, Matt said:

Repubs are done. 

Well, we all knew this was coming.  However, some of it is rational.  I never understood why it has to be done in one day.  Why not two or three so most can find more time to go vote.  Now, the violating of states rights to verify identity and verify votes...that's gonna get sticky, and the Dems are in full power mode to destroy all of that for their own needs.

20 hours ago, Anler said:

I think felons who served their time should absolutely have voting rights. Other than that lack voter verification is bad for everyone. Republicans can exploit that as much as democrats. Imagine having a 200% voter turn out lol

I don't have a problem with felons who served their time and are off of parole voting.  Or even getting their gun rights back.  BUT...only after their successful parole probation period.

17 hours ago, Anler said:

For sure. Take away a stupid holiday like presidents day and make voting day a national holiday..

Let's make it on MLK day.  Right?

30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well, we all knew this was coming.  However, some of it is rational.  I never understood why it has to be done in one day.  Why not two or three so most can find more time to go vote.  Now, the violating of states rights to verify identity and verify votes...that's gonna get sticky, and the Dems are in full power mode to destroy all of that for their own needs.

I don't have a problem with felons who served their time and are off of parole voting.  Or even getting their gun rights back.  BUT...only after their successful parole probation period.

Let's make it on MLK day.  Right?

Even mo betta

• Platinum Contributing Member
21 hours ago, Anler said:

Should be up to the states.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

Nope

Yep....per the constitution.  

Section 2 of the Fourteenth Amendment specifically provides that states may abridge the right to vote of citizens “for participation in rebellion, or other crime.”

I'm actually not 100% opposed to some felons being given back voting rights or right to own firearms.   Serve your time and pay your penalty's first but its up to the states.    I think the constitution is clear on who should decide.   If the Federal govt wants to change that like other times in our history it should be done thru constitutional amendments.  

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Yep....per the constitution.  

Section 2 of the Fourteenth Amendment specifically provides that states may abridge the right to vote of citizens “for participation in rebellion, or other crime.”

I'm actually not 100% opposed to some felons being given back voting rights or right to own firearms.   Serve your time and pay your penalty's first but its up to the states.    I think the constitution is clear on who should decide.   If the Federal govt wants to change that like other times in our history it should be done thru constitutional amendments.  

That was one of the problems with the last election. We need uniform voting rules for federal elections

32 minutes ago, Anler said:

That was one of the problems with the last election. We need uniform voting rules for federal elections

Well then it needs to be a constitutional amendment.   You can't have the constitution giving states certain control then take it away with a simple bill.  

12 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The more Americans that vote the more seats the Democrats win. The repubs know this.

It's also why the founders originally set it up where only the House was directly elected. We were never supposed to be a direct democracy. That's never worked before and won't here either. 

• Like 1