Check your account email address ×

Why was covid-19 a huge bust, and how did we hit herd immunity so quickly?

Rod

• Gold Member

Certain face coverings increased the transmission of covid by a significant percentage.   If you wear a gaitor you need to double it up cause you are making more people sick then not wearing one at all.

38 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Certain face coverings increased the transmission of covid by a significant percentage.   If you wear a gaitor you need to double it up cause you are making more people sick then not wearing one at all.

Actually forcing to people to stay home was the worst as that’s by far the main area of transmission 

it still holds that the best approach to all this overall was no approach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

100% of the folks we know that got the Covid always wore masks everywhere, 100% of the folks we know who never wore a Mask never caught it.

A friend of mine about a mile away (Terry) goes to Town with me a couple times a week, he always wears his Mask and when I ask him "why" he says because he doesn't want people saying anything to him about it, well about 4-5 days ago he got Covid, he lives alone in the middle of no-where. Has no sense of taste or smell, coughing some, bad headache, very tired, and somewhat of a stomach ache, I offered to pick up groceries and other items for him but says he's fine for now, 63 years old.

edit: 66 years old.

Edited by XCR1250

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

100% of the folks we know that got the Covid always wore masks everywhere, 100% of the folks we know who never wore a Mask never caught it.

A friend of mine about a mile away (Terry) goes to Town with me a couple times a week, he always wears his Mask and when I ask him "why" he says because he doesn't want people saying anything to him about it, well about 4-5 days ago he got Covid, he lives alone in the middle of no-where. Has no sense of taste or smell, coughing some, bad headache, very tired, and somewhat of a stomach ache, I offered to pick up groceries and other items for him but says he's fine for now, 63 years old.

You should be an MIT professor with your acute sense of observation 

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Ok, I'll bite, why was that funny? 

Given your past history of building motors as well as some of the skills you posses, you strike me as OCD about stuff. Government inspector would be right up your ally. I could see you sniffing around stuff like a government officiated Columbo. Driving people absolutely nuts with your attention to detail. Yet all the while playing a dummy. Dumb like a fox. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Given your past history of building motors as well as some of the skills you posses, you strike me as OCD about stuff. Government inspector would be right up your ally. I could see you sniffing around stuff like a government officiated Columbo. Driving people absolutely nuts with your attention to detail. Yet all the while playing a dummy. Dumb like a fox. 

Darn, you knew that, a guy I worked with (Henry Czarnecki) always said that to me, "you're dumb like a Fox" 

I actually got along great with most folks I had to deal with, many came to parties at my home in Muskego, I did make them stick to the book unless things could be done better another way..only had 1 guy threaten to kill me around 1978, I had him kicked off the job.

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Christmas and New Years are over 1.7 million a day vaccinated...numbers drop. OH MY GOD WHO THE FUCK KNEW!

So you think herd immunity was hit by under 1% of the population benign vaccinated? Interesting. 

Latest numbers are about 28 million have had it (should have antibodies), and 70 million have been vaccinated. That nearly 100 million, or 1/3 of our population. Holidays are over, it's winter, resturants and sports arenas are empty or at limited capacity. It only makes sense that numbers are going down. 

Hear much about the flu this year? Very light year for the flu. I would argue that handwashing, masks, and less interactions are a lot of the reason. 

17 minutes ago, Catalina said:

Latest numbers are about 28 million have had it (should have antibodies), and 70 million have been vaccinated. That nearly 100 million, or 1/3 of our population. Holidays are over, it's winter, resturants and sports arenas are empty or at limited capacity. It only makes sense that numbers are going down. 

Hear much about the flu this year? Very light year for the flu. I would argue that handwashing, masks, and less interactions are a lot of the reason. 

All the Bars and Restaurants here are open, only people in those businesses that are wearing Masks (in some places) are the food servers.

Bragging about getting it and bragging about not wearing a mask is a uniquely American thing. Imagine how many people you infected, maybe even the ones you know that relaxed around you and took their mask off or touched surfaces you infected. Imagine not realizing for 11 months that if the germ can't get out of you other people can't contract it. Sad but you're gonna reach immunity way before Canada... 3-4 times the death rate but you will reach it, Hopefully we have a wall by then ;) 

4 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I counted 37 snowmobilers in the bar down the road last Tuesday when we went in to eat there, zero had masks on.

well those seating at a table would not have masks on they are eating and everyone knows covid does not get you while eating.  what i don't understand is if we have 9 or 10 pm curfews because the covid comes out after that why wear a mask during the day.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Bragging about getting it and bragging about not wearing a mask is a uniquely American thing. Imagine how many people you infected, maybe even the ones you know that relaxed around you and took their mask off or touched surfaces you infected. Imagine not realizing for 11 months that if the germ can't get out of you other people can't contract it. Sad but you're gonna reach immunity way before Canada... 3-4 times the death rate but you will reach it, Hopefully we have a wall by then ;) 

Bragging? Hardly, just not fooled by a bunch of BS.

Again, only those wearing a mask got it, lot of help those masks did for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

well those seating at a table would not have masks on they are eating and everyone knows covid does not get you while eating.  what i don't understand is if we have 9 or 10 pm curfews because the covid comes out after that why wear a mask during the day.  

Most folks there were drinking not eating, some were but only a few, sleds were coming and going all day & nite long, I can see the bar from my bedroom window, probably more than 100 that day alone, right now there is at least 20-25 there. I was there at +/- 10 this morning to buy 2 Pepsi's, at least 5 sleds were already there and I could hear more coming across the Lake and trails behind the Bar, Bar opens at 10am... Owner said it's 1 of the best years he's had for snowmoblers.

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Herd immunity is mostly bullshit. Novel viruses typically burn out before herd immunity is reached. The 1918 flu is a good example. As is the H1N1 of 2009. Please carry on with the entertaining posts. 

You had better tell the top experts that you have it figured out 

407E2838-5BE4-4122-9BA4-5528A1C25798.jpeg

• Like 1