Check your account email address ×

Are there major issues with the 2021 doo 850’s?

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member

What kind of oil/gas do people run?   I literally NEVER hear of engine problems in the new sleds and I ride with probably 20 different guys on sleds newer than 17's. 

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

What kind of oil/gas do people run?   I literally NEVER hear of engine problems in the new sleds and I ride with probably 20 different guys on sleds newer than 17's. 

A false assumption up here is that Super does not contain ethanol which isn't true and it can change on the Hwy 7 boundary north of the GTA, Greater Toronto Area. Only Shell and Imperial that supplies Esso and Canadian Tire contain no ethanol. Petro Can, Pioneer and any independent supplied by Suncor has a ton of Ethanol.  I test it all the time, it's 90% of the marine service calls and Regular with ethanol with just trash anything built after 04. Once got Super from a UPI that near killed my 06 800 Ptek and had the exhaust glowing orange melting the seat on a 4S Yamaha had 25% ethanol in it. Ultramar used to be OK but the 3 times I got it this summer the Super had ethanol. Stale Regular with ethanol is fn deadly but some people gotta save $4

Edited by Tinker

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 hours ago, Tinker said:

A false assumption up here is that Super does not contain ethanol which isn't true and it can change on the Hwy 7 boundary north of the GTA, Greater Toronto Area. Only Shell and Imperial that supplies Esso and Canadian Tire contain no ethanol. Petro Can, Pioneer and any independent supplied by Suncor has a ton of Ethanol.  I test it all the time, it's 90% of the marine service calls and Regular with ethanol with just trash anything built after 04. Once got Super from a UPI that near killed my 06 800 Ptek and had the exhaust glowing orange melting the seat on a 4S Yamaha had 25% ethanol in it. Regular with ethanol is fn deadly but some people gotta save $4

I think poor fuel and guys coming out of bars taking off hard with no warm up contributes to a high number of the engine failures.   Of course nobody admits it.   My sleds don't move until water temp reaches a certain level or the new sleds show they are properly warmed up.   Wonder how many failures are cold seizures.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roosting said:

That happened last year to somebody in our group.

The jackshaft bearing started to fail and got so hot it compromised the integrity of the jackshaft and it broke off just as it exits the bearing. Just like that one.

Replace that bearing often IMO.

How often would you replace it on a 2021?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tinker said:

A false assumption up here is that Super does not contain ethanol which isn't true and it can change on the Hwy 7 boundary north of the GTA, Greater Toronto Area. Only Shell and Imperial that supplies Esso and Canadian Tire contain no ethanol. Petro Can, Pioneer and any independent supplied by Suncor has a ton of Ethanol.  I test it all the time, it's 90% of the marine service calls and Regular with ethanol with just trash anything built after 04. Once got Super from a UPI that near killed my 06 800 Ptek and had the exhaust glowing orange melting the seat on a 4S Yamaha had 25% ethanol in it. Ultramar used to be OK but the 3 times I got it this summer the Super had ethanol. Stale Regular with ethanol is fn deadly but some people gotta save $4

They basically have to supply X amount of ethanol over their total gas sales. So if you have a huge supplier that moves a shit load of regular gas they can meet the minimums by adding extra to the regular so they can have none in the premium. In Manitoba coop still claims ethanol free premium even with the higher minimums 

so it will vary per supplier 

5 minutes ago, Roosting said:

more often than it was done obviously.

My 2010 1200 had 18,000 miles on the jackshaft bearing before I did it when the chaincase seal started to leak.

25,000 miles on the original track brake side drive shaft bearing with just fresh grease twice when replacing a track. My 15 went at 6000 miles, koksukker.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Ya but you thought a broken secondary was a blown motor so not taking your word for it :lol:

Well his riding buddy said it blew up so how else would you take that tbh 

3 hours ago, Tinker said:

in maine you can find 90/91 non e someplaces but most are still E in the super although in the winter usually not the max of 10%.  I never get concerned whether E or non e and if i have to run 87 i will.  but i'm also not going to hold it to the bar till it pops

5 hours ago, ACE said:

8870F5F3-2621-4A3A-BC92-96377DB17BAD.jpeg

looks like he may have gotten lucky, and it didn't bounce around in there like a pin-ball machine.  I wasn't so lucky, as clutches came together for a bonding experience, and the jackshaft ground into the bearing flanges.