Check your account email address ×

We’re a dying breed.

7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Young people today don’t know how to fix anything. Not only that, but few have any interest or take any form of satisfaction in fixing a mechanical device. 

I'd say that per capita that assessment is correct. All is not lost tho. I work with a predominantly young crowd. I'm 50 and most of the mechanics in my shop are half my age if not younger. There are about 240 mechanics in my code and a large percentage of the kids are fairly mechanically inclined for their age and experience and they like to work. Most of them will work 10-12 hour day if OT is available. And some of these 22-25 year olds are making 6 figures and have homes. There is some hope. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

got a new project sitting in the garage.  Never worked on a SxS before but I will figure it out like i did sleds and what i've had to do on vehicles.  Figure by the time the wifes home tomorrow afternoon it will be in pieces.  Got to try to figure out whats in it for a lift and clutching as the stock tires are 27x 7x 12 and this thing has $1500 worth of basically new 32x10x14's on 14x8 rims on it so it's way wider than stock as they also have spacers so I will see how bad the rub is without before i try to sell them.     

My list so far

most likely new wheels and tires, remove lower light bar,  rewire upper light bar and rear light bar to dash switches,  rewire the soundbar,  oil change, diff and trans changes, new belt and clean up some surface rust on the bumper and tire carrier and repaint them.   

maverick.jpg

Holy shit, Red's a big bastid!!!    :good:

I could not function, if I didn't fix almost everything here. 

The only things I bring to the dealer are my car and truck. I don't have a lift, and I don't have the expertise to handle that SAFELY, and technically. 

I just hand them my credit card, sign, and drive off. 

I have had good luck with dealership work. 

I went to a local one time and they fucked emissions/electrical up. 

Our gas stove is on the blink and after checking everything narrowed it down to the control board. It's easy to replace but with it being a weekend it's a pita to get the part. Hopefully I'll find one tomorrow or it'll be a week before I get one. We can use the stovetop, air fryer, convection oven in the motorhome or the toaster oven lol. We won't starve

20210102_155808.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

got a new project sitting in the garage.  Never worked on a SxS before but I will figure it out like i did sleds and what i've had to do on vehicles.  Figure by the time the wifes home tomorrow afternoon it will be in pieces.  Got to try to figure out whats in it for a lift and clutching as the stock tires are 27x 7x 12 and this thing has $1500 worth of basically new 32x10x14's on 14x8 rims on it so it's way wider than stock as they also have spacers so I will see how bad the rub is without before i try to sell them.     

My list so far

most likely new wheels and tires, remove lower light bar,  rewire upper light bar and rear light bar to dash switches,  rewire the soundbar,  oil change, diff and trans changes, new belt and clean up some surface rust on the bumper and tire carrier and repaint them.   

maverick.jpg

My bud sells SXS tire/wheel sets on eBay. Smoking deals compared to retail. Look up the store “tires cheap”.

12 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

My list so far

maverick.jpg

Nice machine.

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Superair said:

I'd say that per capita that assessment is correct. All is not lost tho. I work with a predominantly young crowd. I'm 50 and most of the mechanics in my shop are half my age if not younger. There are about 240 mechanics in my code and a large percentage of the kids are fairly mechanically inclined for their age and experience and they like to work. Most of them will work 10-12 hour day if OT is available. And some of these 22-25 year olds are making 6 figures and have homes. There is some hope. 

6 figures? wow. I had a kid quit his mechanic job and come work for me. 5 years with his class A and he was making $28/hr. He said top wage at a good shop might be $35/hr. Diesel guys make more. Nobody pays OT any more. Time off or some type of bonus maybe.

He quit working for me and went back to wrenching at a small garage. He was trying to get a shop going on the side which was the only way he felt he was going to get ahead.

13 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

My list so far

maverick.jpg

Check the driveshaft, they need greasing often and owners rarely do it.

Check wheel bearings too. Can am last well but you never know.

33 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Not one grease fitting on my x3 drive shaft. Got a wheel bearing greaser...not much in there from factory.

Edited by STUMPY

1 minute ago, awful knawful said:

i ordered up everything to do the complete service and I'll go through those as well.  Won't be next weekends project as I am going to OH Friday but when i come back i'll really dig into it.  Working on redoing wiring today,  had to order new switch for the front roof lightbar,  removed the lower one and I am going to wire the back light bar to the current lightbar switch as it's constant powered now which was dumb.  Whomever owned this was an idiot,  spent the money on the wheels and 32" tires but with no lift that will rub.  going back to 28's found a set of OEM X3 takeoffs with tires for $500 and should get that or more from the current.  These rims i have now will be perfect on someones X3.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i ordered up everything to do the complete service and I'll go through those as well.  Won't be next weekends project as I am going to OH Friday but when i come back i'll really dig into it.  Working on redoing wiring today,  had to order new switch for the front roof lightbar,  removed the lower one and I am going to wire the back light bar to the current lightbar switch as it's constant powered now which was dumb.  Whomever owned this was an idiot,  spent the money on the wheels and 32" tires but with no lift that will rub.  going back to 28's found a set of OEM X3 takeoffs with tires for $500 and should get that or more from the current.  These rims i have now will be perfect on someones X3.  

Thats a sweet looking ride

19 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Go for 29in oems that are beadlocks....you will thank me later.

1 hour ago, STUMPY said:

Not one grease fitting on my x3 drive shaft. Got a wheel bearing greaser...not much in there from factory.

There is in the outlander.

I think my bud said his commander has them also.

I only greased my new bearings with my greaser. Added 10 pumps each!

My originals went 16000kms. Right rear failed, rest were good.

8 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

There is in the outlander.

I think my bud said his commander has them also.

I only greased my new bearings with my greaser. Added 10 pumps each!

My originals went 16000kms. Right rear failed, rest were good.

Ya commander is basically just a large outlander with 2 seats...very similar design....od mav is similar as well...rear suspension and diff are much different.

51 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they look like these

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting they mustve starting putting them on the cheaper models now....you had to have 29 inch last time I looked....if I were you I'd go up 15 inch rim....much more range in tires with a 15....thats what I did...im running truck tires on mine.

20201028_185800.jpg

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

Our gas stove is on the blink and after checking everything narrowed it down to the control board. It's easy to replace but with it being a weekend it's a pita to get the part. Hopefully I'll find one tomorrow or it'll be a week before I get one. We can use the stovetop, air fryer, convection oven in the motorhome or the toaster oven lol. We won't starve

20210102_155808.jpg

Is that a Bosch? Our 10 year old Bosch stove needs a board too. The problem is the oven lights stay on 24/7. Checked on line and most have a no oven heat issue but some are like my issue. I have been putting off ordering a board and we just may buy a new stove. It’s 10 years old.

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Is that a Bosch? Our 10 year old Bosch stove needs a board too. The problem is the oven lights stay on 24/7. Checked on line and most have a no oven heat issue but some are like my issue. I have been putting off ordering a board and we just may buy a new stove. It’s 10 years old.

It's a Kenmore 6.5 years old. I think the power outtages have taken a toll on the board. The oven comes on but won't shut off unless you unplug it. The board is an Electrolux and somewhere around $3-350.00. The stove is in good condition so it's a reasonable fix vs buying a new one