Se Mn conditions

X2700

43 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

First one was ~12,000 miles on the 2018, yesterdays was ~7400 miles on the 2021.  I’ve replaced all three in the last year so hopefully I’m done replacing these for a while…

Yep!

looks like a lot out over the weekend near home!!

Spent weekend in Tofte and headed to stone lake the next.

hopefully we’ll gain some snow back in couple weeks to get a nice local ride in!!

79569161-E93A-41CF-A1FA-D2AB215FC81D.jpeg

• Haha 1

Interesting - as I came home from Rochester today, I saw tracks coming off Kelly's Lakehouse (the old Waterman's) and headed towards Stockholm.  @Mag6240 - that wasn't you, was it?  Hopefully whoever it was didn't risk it too badly, only to find out it's closed on that side of the river!

15 hours ago, Bontz said:

Interesting - as I came home from Rochester today, I saw tracks coming off Kelly's Lakehouse (the old Waterman's) and headed towards Stockholm.  @Mag6240 - that wasn't you, was it?  Hopefully whoever it was didn't risk it too badly, only to find out it's closed on that side of the river!

Not yet - saw they closed Sconnie so not me 

4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Not yet - saw they closed Sconnie so not me 

I should have made that post a bit more understandable, sorry ... I wasn't insinuating it was you & that you would have ridden on closed trails on the WI side.  Sorry man!  Honestly, I was surprised to even see the tracks in the first place as I really don't know how good that ice is.  With the nuke plant sending that warm water down the river, you just never know - and with the weird weather as of late, I don't think a lot of ice was being made.

Hopefully the next couple days don't mess things up too badly down this way.

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

I should have made that post a bit more understandable, sorry ... I wasn't insinuating it was you & that you would have ridden on closed trails on the WI side.  Sorry man!  Honestly, I was surprised to even see the tracks in the first place as I really don't know how good that ice is.  With the nuke plant sending that warm water down the river, you just never know - and with the weird weather as of late, I don't think a lot of ice was being made.

Hopefully the next couple days don't mess things up too badly down this way.

No worries - this rain is going to delay me trying to cross for quite some time is my guess.

Are you guys expecting anything from this next snow event mid-week?  I'm jealous - north of Hwy 2 hasn't seen any good snow since December, and with this warm spell trails are going to start looking a little rough around here.  Nothing in the forecast for us this week, maybe next week.

Edited by p51mstg

10 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Are you guys expecting anything from this next snow event mid-week?  I'm jealous - north of Hwy 2 hasn't seen any good snow since December, and with this warm spell trails are going to start looking a little rough around here.  Nothing in the forecast for us this week, maybe next week.

I don't know how much I trust forecasts, but what I'm seeing for this area ... it's showing "Snow Showers" and totaling about an inch of new snow for tomorrow.  Every little bit helps, but we sure could use a good 4" to 8" to allow for grooming to resume and get things going again.  On my drive into work today, it's the first time since December that I'm starting to see the soil in fields vs. all snow.

EDIT:  Just goes to show you how stupid forecasts are!! LOL  So my previous comments were based on what I was seeing on my phone using the "Fox9 Weather App" for my area.  I hit up the Weather Channel on my laptop, and that shows 5" to 8" ... which would be fantastic.  Nothing like throwing darts at the dartboard and using whatever the results hit on as a forecast 😏

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I don't know how much I trust forecasts, but what I'm seeing for this area ... it's showing "Snow Showers" and totaling about an inch of new snow for tomorrow.  Every little bit helps, but we sure could use a good 4" to 8" to allow for grooming to resume and get things going again.  On my drive into work today, it's the first time since December that I'm starting to see the soil in fields vs. all snow.

EDIT:  Just goes to show you how stupid forecasts are!! LOL  So my previous comments were based on what I was seeing on my phone using the "Fox9 Weather App" for my area.  I hit up the Weather Channel on my laptop, and that shows 5" to 8" ... which would be fantastic.  Nothing like throwing darts at the dartboard and using whatever the results hit on as a forecast 😏

:thumb:

I saw a FB post from the Kenyon snowmobile club, and that's why I was thinking you guys might get some snow.  Hope that forecast is accurate!

I still love riding SE MN from about Hwy 52 to the river - doesn't get much better than that (when there's enough snow), in my opinion.

• Like 1

And the backpedal begins on the forecast ... 5" to 8" has already gone down to 3" to 6".  Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if we ended up with 3"+ of new snow but I was really hoping it was going to be closer the higher number.

1 hour ago, X2700 said:

Back in business!!

good 5”-6”.

plenty to get trails going again.

Trails to the north and west of us actually looked ok before this storm!!

My son and I will include the trails in your area for our southern MN tour this weekend while you’re in Sconnie!

Should be some great riding this weekend!!!

Next weekend planning a nice long local ride!!!!

Pepin had virtually no snow on it yesterday when i was in lake city.

It sure looks like person can cross though?

39 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Should be some great riding this weekend!!!

Next weekend planning a nice long local ride!!!!

Pepin had virtually no snow on it yesterday when i was in lake city.

It sure looks like person can cross though?

I'm not going to take that chance, I think we will try to ride past there on Sunday just to take a look.  That's 85 miles to the garage so it will be a good end of day rip to finish the weekend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I'm not going to take that chance, I think we will try to ride past there on Sunday just to take a look.  That's 85 miles to the garage so it will be a good end of day rip to finish the weekend.

What route you taking for ride?

Just now, X2700 said:

What route you taking for ride?

With it being 3 days, we are starting out heading mostly west from here.  They still had better snow than east before the rain.  Then heading back towards the east, eventually circling back to the garage.  No real destination, as we can get almost anywhere in a half day from here.  I may track the three days of riding just to see all the trails we took!  Our path will probably look like a jig saw puzzle by the time we get home...

• Like 1

I'm guessing we have the better part of 6" here (Frontenac area) and my co-worker in Red Wing said they have closer to 8" of new snow.  I'm seriously thinking I'm going to say F it, and call the dealer today to tell them I'm tired of waiting and won't be taking delivery of the sled when it finally comes in.  I've got my eye on a 2022 XCR over in WI that I may just go get tomorrow and ride around here this weekend.

As far as Pepin goes - yeah, prior to this new snow it was looking pretty rough with standing water out there.  I can only assume if someone tried running it now they'd find a fair amount of slush.  If a guy didn't have to worry about ice heaves and could just throttle across to Stockholm, I'd give it a go ... but not sure how realistic that is.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm guessing we have the better part of 6" here (Frontenac area) and my co-worker in Red Wing said they have closer to 8" of new snow.  I'm seriously thinking I'm going to say F it, and call the dealer today to tell them I'm tired of waiting and won't be taking delivery of the sled when it finally comes in.  I've got my eye on a 2022 XCR over in WI that I may just go get tomorrow and ride around here this weekend.

I can't believe with the winter we've had you haven't said this about 6 weeks ago... 

28 minutes ago, Bontz said:

As far as Pepin goes - yeah, prior to this new snow it was looking pretty rough with standing water out there.  I can only assume if someone tried running it now they'd find a fair amount of slush.  If a guy didn't have to worry about ice heaves and could just throttle across to Stockholm, I'd give it a go ... but not sure how realistic that is.

Yep time to find a sled!!

Times ticking!!

when is your clubs vintage run?

14 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I can't believe with the winter we've had you haven't said this about 6 weeks ago... 

I know ... I was really holding out that Polaris was going to come through on the first week of January window.  So much for that!!  

5 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Yep time to find a sled!!

Times ticking!!

when is your clubs vintage run?

Yep - working on that and hope to have it figured out by EOD today.  The vintage run/show that we've done the past 10 years is actually off the calendar this year.  Our guys that really drove it and put it all together didn't want to do it again this year, and we were struggling with the venue again since Mount Frontenac is out of the equation.  So, nothing for this year but we'll see about 2024.

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I know ... I was really holding out that Polaris was going to come through on the first week of January window.  So much for that!!  

Yep - working on that and hope to have it figured out by EOD today.  The vintage run/show that we've done the past 10 years is actually off the calendar this year.  Our guys that really drove it and put it all together didn't want to do it again this year, and we were struggling with the venue again since Mount Frontenac is out of the equation.  So, nothing for this year but we'll see about 2024.

Mount frontenac open for food this winter?

Have driven by several times and looks quiet?

3 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Mount frontenac open for food this winter?

Have driven by several times and looks quiet?

when I asked their guy, Randy, about it before the season - he had said they'd likely be open on the weekends but not during the week.  But I haven't heard anything since then?  I know our groomer had gone through there, so it's still on the trail but not 100% sure on what they're doing.  I'll see if I can confirm.

3 hours ago, X2700 said:

Nice spot to stop when out and about!!

Sounds like Mt. Frontenac is going to be open 11AM to ?? (depending on business) and will be open tomorrow through Sunday.  Depending on how things go, they may expand to Thursday to Sunday.

• Like 1