Se Mn conditions

X2700

@Bontz - I agree on your decision about the sled.  Hope you get the WI sled and can salvage what's left of winter.

Maybe, just maybe, things will start getting back to normal next season and people can ride the sled they ordered.  But, waiting this long is a terrible situation.  Consumers are pissed, but I'm sure the manufacturers are wondering if they can keep numbers in the black long enough for the supply line to straighten itself out.

It's the same in the auto world, unfortunately.  I hit a deer in my brand new F150 on Halloween, and it's still sitting at the body shop, waiting for parts.  I can't trailer my sled anywhere.  Good thing we've had snow locally, but this sucks. 

Ride for Wyatt is schedule for Feb. 11 this year, in case any SE MN riders are interested...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ride-for-wyatt-and-afsp-ride-for-suicide-prevention-tickets-444364886337

I most likely won't have my truck by then, but it has been a fun ride in the past.

2 hours ago, p51mstg said:

@Bontz - I agree on your decision about the sled.  Hope you get the WI sled and can salvage what's left of winter.

Maybe, just maybe, things will start getting back to normal next season and people can ride the sled they ordered.  But, waiting this long is a terrible situation.  Consumers are pissed, but I'm sure the manufacturers are wondering if they can keep numbers in the black long enough for the supply line to straighten itself out.

It's the same in the auto world, unfortunately.  I hit a deer in my brand new F150 on Halloween, and it's still sitting at the body shop, waiting for parts.  I can't trailer my sled anywhere.  Good thing we've had snow locally, but this sucks. 

Ride for Wyatt is schedule for Feb. 11 this year, in case any SE MN riders are interested...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ride-for-wyatt-and-afsp-ride-for-suicide-prevention-tickets-444364886337

I most likely won't have my truck by then, but it has been a fun ride in the past.

Thanks for the link, good cause. 

• Like 1

I'm back in business!!  I made the drive over to WI and picked up the new-to-me sled.  If only it were the same red/black combo I had with my 650 it would be perfect but the blue/white/red combo looks way better in person than I saw in the pics.  Anyway - time to get out and RIDE!!

@Mag6240 & @X2700 - sleds have gone across from Pepin to Stockholm, from what I heard last night.  So, food for thought!  As one of the guys said to me, "Hey, as long as you're not stopping to gab out there & keep moving - you're fine!" LOL

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bontz said:

I'm back in business!!  I made the drive over to WI and picked up the new-to-me sled.  If only it were the same red/black combo I had with my 650 it would be perfect but the blue/white/red combo looks way better in person than I saw in the pics.  Anyway - time to get out and RIDE!!

@Mag6240 & @X2700 - sleds have gone across from Pepin to Stockholm, from what I heard last night.  So, food for thought!  As one of the guys said to me, "Hey, as long as you're not stopping to gab out there & keep moving - you're fine!" LOL

I’m sitting in front of the crossing right now… I see a few tracks headed out, but only a few… I’m gonna hard pass until next week.

8F465EE4-0510-44BC-880D-FA3BD664EB8D.jpeg
Supposedly a bunch of morons parked next to each other somewhere on the lake and went in - the bartender showed us Fake Book has pics 

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

It’s a beautiful view from the beach though!

9665FB88-AA11-4AB4-8175-6D08DAE29796.jpeg

Nice!!  We were out today and the couple I was with needed to get to Kelly's for a birthday party this evening.  We were down in the Zumbro Falls, Hammond, Millville areas and the husband asked me, "You think we can make it from the Sportsman's Club around to Kelly's?"  I told him I wouldn't do it, especially at night since we'd be doing that around 7PM.  Then, we saw the same pictures you're referring to with all the vehicles that had issues north of town.  That made it pretty easy to say .. nope!   If it was a straght shot across to Stockholm, maybe, but that trek from the south end of town to the north end & taking pressure ridges into account - not for this guy!!

I hope you had great trails today ... the little bit that I rode on our system last night, we could do a better job of signing towns I think.  A topic for the club to discuss and maybe fix before the end of the season.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Birthday party - were we there at the same time??  My sons buddies parents rode there for the guys 60th.

You were probably there earlier than the two people I was riding with got there.  I think I split off from them around 7:30 - they went to Kelly's and I went home.  I had partied pretty good with the birthday girl and her significant other the night prior, so I didn't need to get into another long night out & having to get home on my sled! LOL  Your reference to your son's buddy's parents ... curious who that might be?

Looks like another day to give it a go - just need to figure out which direction to go.  I'd honestly like to ride over to WI and give that a shot, but Pepin just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence!

8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You were probably there earlier than the two people I was riding with got there.  I think I split off from them around 7:30 - they went to Kelly's and I went home.  I had partied pretty good with the birthday girl and her significant other the night prior, so I didn't need to get into another long night out & having to get home on my sled! LOL  Your reference to your son's buddy's parents ... curious who that might be?

Looks like another day to give it a go - just need to figure out which direction to go.  I'd honestly like to ride over to WI and give that a shot, but Pepin just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence!

That’s about when they showed up - they own the golf course south of town up on the bluffs!

5 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

That’s about when they showed up - they own the golf course south of town up on the bluffs!

Hah!!  Too funny - yep, Paul & Julee was who I rode with all day.  Paul's boy is your son's buddy??  There's no lack of entertainment around that boy!! :roflcrying:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Hah!!  Too funny - yep, Paul & Julee was who I rode with all day.  Paul's boy is your son's buddy??  There's no lack of entertainment around that boy!! :roflcrying:

Small world!  They were texting all day on the ride over from St Peter knowing we would be in the area.  Those two might have had a long short ride home… LOL - my son spends at least one weekend a summer at there place, for entertainment purposes only!

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

Small world!  They were texting all day on the ride over from St Peter knowing we would be in the area.  Those two might have had a long short ride home… LOL - my son spends at least one weekend a summer at there place, for entertainment purposes only!

Small world is right! LOL  I wish I had known .. I would have joined them and went to Kelly's too! :bc: 

• Like 1

We will be riding around next weekend as well, where we end up nobody knows - but I am definitely making my way to check out the crossing to Sconnie.  Free place to stay at my sisters in New Richmond if it’s doable.  
So now that you finally have a sled to ride this year… assuming you picked one up to get some seat time yesterday!

Here’s some pics from our groomer … and my new ride. I’m gonna try to get out again today & try to get into a “riding condition” for our U.P. Tour next Saturday-Tuesday

1FA811E2-9C48-497D-9A47-9CF59C1DAE80.jpeg

C08155AC-CDA7-48E5-B1D1-7A01062C2368.jpeg

A8E82C6B-BB74-4BF9-BA76-1900D58AAEEE.jpeg

D8D55278-4954-4B6F-A2B3-DBFBC655B34E.jpeg

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 5

I saw the Lake City Sportsman's Club post the ice conditions down by the club (their annual fishing contest is coming up) and they measured 13" there.  A buddy of mine ( @Mag6240 - it was Paul LOL ) was bored this afternoon and walked across from just south of Lake City, straight over to Pepin, and he measured at various places and the thickness ranged from 13" to 16".  So, if anyone is looking to cross and ride into Pepin to get on the WI trails ... no concerns with that path.  I'm positive the run from Kelly's on the north end of Lake City to Stockholm is also fine.

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

I saw the Lake City Sportsman's Club post the ice conditions down by the club (their annual fishing contest is coming up) and they measured 13" there.  A buddy of mine ( @Mag6240 - it was Paul LOL ) was bored this afternoon and walked across from just south of Lake City, straight over to Pepin, and he measured at various places and the thickness ranged from 13" to 16".  So, if anyone is looking to cross and ride into Pepin to get on the WI trails ... no concerns with that path.  I'm positive the run from Kelly's on the north end of Lake City to Stockholm is also fine.

Hmmm… I wanna see tracks - gonna be cold this weekend!

Edited by Mag6240

11 hours ago, Bontz said:

Was in pepin yesterday and drove down to check lake out.No tracks crossing lake pepin yet but looked damn good to me.

Also talked to long time lake city resident and said crossing at kellys would be good.After saturday I'll be crossing.Have a group of us headed out saturday will be hitting lake city red wing area.

Not sure i can talk them into crossing!!!!

My plan will be to cross at kellys and come back through pepin.

Just now, X2700 said:

Was in pepin yesterday and drove down to check lake out.No tracks crossing lake pepin yet but looked damn good to me.

Also talked to long time lake city resident and said crossing at kellys would be good.After saturday I'll be crossing.Have a group of us headed out saturday will be hitting lake city red wing area.

Not sure i can talk them into crossing!!!!

My plan will be to cross at kellys and come back through pepin.

These new matryx sleds do not like water by the way!!!!

12 hours ago, Bontz said:

Told my son to find out if we can cut through Paul’s place to cross into Pepin, WI - that wouldn’t add many miles to the plan to ride to my sisters in New Richmond, and then have a checked ice path to follow.

6 minutes ago, X2700 said:

you’re good to go!

don’t look back!

Lake looks good.

I agree ... at this point, I wouldn't have any concerns crossing from either point. 

@Mag6240 It's all a matter of what you consider the best route to New Richmond once you're on the WI side.  The drawback to crossing from Kelly's on the north end of LC over to Stockholm is, you have to scratch a bit through Stockholm to hook back up with the trail.  Once you're on the trail though, you're that much closer to New Richmond.  If you choose to cross using the trail that leads you to the south end of Lake City & using the Sportsman's club to get onto the ice it's just a further trek to get over to Pepin.  If I wasn't heading to the U.P for our saddlebag trip this weekend & into next week, I would definitely be going across Lake Pepin to ride in WI.

6 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I agree ... at this point, I wouldn't have any concerns crossing from either point. 

@Mag6240 It's all a matter of what you consider the best route to New Richmond once you're on the WI side.  The drawback to crossing from Kelly's on the north end of LC over to Stockholm is, you have to scratch a bit through Stockholm to hook back up with the trail.  Once you're on the trail though, you're that much closer to New Richmond.  If you choose to cross using the trail that leads you to the south end of Lake City & using the Sportsman's club to get onto the ice it's just a further trek to get over to Pepin.  If I wasn't heading to the U.P for our saddlebag trip this weekend & into next week, I would definitely be going across Lake Pepin to ride in WI.

That's where I took the "Beach" pic a few posts up last weekend... Maybe that would be the better choice, but there wasn't a single track on the ice there last weekend.  I would trust where Paul went, just to know it was all checked...

• Like 1

when i was in pepin they have streets plowed pretty good so you will have a bit of a trek through town also.

when crossing at kellys just stay down river a little from point.spot that opens up first in spring is about  30' wide channel just out from point.

Looks a bit chilly for weekend but going to be some nice trails!!

• Like 1