Se Mn conditions

X2700

6 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You had a good day if you clicked off 140 miles ... nice!  That section of trail to the north of Hay Creek is run by the Red Wing club ... we have the trail that comes into Hay Creek from the south, down the hill and across the field and Hwy58 into the bar.  I got together with some friends yesterday down in Kellogg, and a husband & wife had ridden to meet us (they live up by Lake Pepin Golf course).  They said the fields were a bit rough with the drifts that weren't knocked down yet, but the bottoms between Theilman and Kellogg were fantastic.  

B-Wells .. that little bar is a goldmine!  And yes, good food and drinks for very reasonable prices :thumbsup:

Was headed to Kellogg but was getting dark so I cut back and went home via zumbro falls.

snow pretty thin around Millville but enough to get me to better trails!

looks like temps a bit cooler now so maybe we’ll get a weekend ride in?

otherwise going to trailer to Hager city and hit some wi stuff?

not sure about pepin yet?

2 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Was headed to Kellogg but was getting dark so I cut back and went home via zumbro falls.

snow pretty thin around Millville but enough to get me to better trails!

looks like temps a bit cooler now so maybe we’ll get a weekend ride in?

otherwise going to trailer to Hager city and hit some wi stuff?

not sure about pepin yet?

We went from Kellogg down to BJ's and that same husband and wife met us there.  Talking about their next stop after BJ's, I was saying how I wondered how the river road was from up above BJ's into Millville ... but was a moot point as the wife told my buddy they should head home so they don't have to ride too far at night to get back home.  My guess is, the river road might have been OK but probably plowed down where dipping off to the side would have probably been needed?

The idea of riding in WI ... I seriously would have thought with the cold spell the past week or so, it would be safe to run from Kelly's (Waterman's) over to Stockholm would be doable.  But after seeing some of the videos from up north, where they were showing all the slush and NOT a lot of additional ice being made ... I'd be nervous on Pepin, especially if I were the first tracks.  That said, I would have to believe the trails over there are likely pretty good.  The Travel Wisconsin website shows them as poor to good, but their definition of poor is still pretty good since they open/close as needed.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bontz said:

We went from Kellogg down to BJ's and that same husband and wife met us there.  Talking about their next stop after BJ's, I was saying how I wondered how the river road was from up above BJ's into Millville ... but was a moot point as the wife told my buddy they should head home so they don't have to ride too far at night to get back home.  My guess is, the river road might have been OK but probably plowed down where dipping off to the side would have probably been needed?

The idea of riding in WI ... I seriously would have thought with the cold spell the past week or so, it would be safe to run from Kelly's (Waterman's) over to Stockholm would be doable.  But after seeing some of the videos from up north, where they were showing all the slush and NOT a lot of additional ice being made ... I'd be nervous on Pepin, especially if I were the first tracks.  That said, I would have to believe the trails over there are likely pretty good.  The Travel Wisconsin website shows them as poor to good, but their definition of poor is still pretty good since they open/close as needed.

Enjoy!

Still some snow on that road but that plow guy likes to get it right down to gravel!!

Used to run 4-5 wide on that thing to get back to town before last call!!

Edited by X2700
  • Like 2

Out testing my new Indy Specialties motor on my 2018 today, trails were really good!  Except for that ice chunk coming onto my buddy’s pond…

B629B8DE-6CAC-42AB-8DBA-648935E858E7.jpeg

9BBDE531-CE16-4B2D-98B6-0FD929B1874B.jpeg

9A6EEDB9-47D4-4257-BE24-27737CA6E552.jpeg

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

More fun without that absurdly large sway bar anyways :P

Sorry for the luck.

How's the motor?

Haha - you know I like how it rails - motor is strong, oil pump is pushing oil, coolant temp sits steady between 100-110, clutches feel amazing…. Now except for that bi-weekly rip around the field, she can sit until I need warranty work on the ‘21!

2 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Out testing my new Indy Specialties motor on my 2018 today, trails were really good!  Except for that ice chunk coming onto my buddy’s pond…

B629B8DE-6CAC-42AB-8DBA-648935E858E7.jpeg

9BBDE531-CE16-4B2D-98B6-0FD929B1874B.jpeg

9A6EEDB9-47D4-4257-BE24-27737CA6E552.jpeg

I seem to break one of those at least once a year!!

same spot!!

I keep one on hand because they just don’t rail without it!!

been up north and broke one first day out!!

trails looking good!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, X2700 said:

I seem to break one of those at least once a year!!

same spot!!

I keep one on hand because they just don’t rail without it!!

been up north and broke one first day out!!

trails looking good!!

My son had to remind me I broke the one on his sled last February…

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Got out yesterday.  Put 80 some miles on.  Pleasantly surprised with the conditions!!  To bad its gonna warm up I think we had a good start.  My riding bud just bought a 900r XRS and he can ride that thing.  He kept asking me to try it and I told him I look at tractors everyday don't need to ride one....  LOL  Seems like its got good power.  I just love popping the skis going over a hill or something and that heavy bitch I think would take a lot of the fun out of it...  Oh and this old man has stiff legs this morning!!   

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Hung on to be pretty good yet today, but spots are opening up big time…

We're pulling the groomer until colder temps come back and, hopefully, some fresh snow.  I could hear sled traffic all day, and one of the guys in our club said he went out today to check things out & it's getting to be a lot of dirt showing.  Crazy how quickly things changed, given where we were a week ago.

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

We're pulling the groomer until colder temps come back and, hopefully, some fresh snow.  I could hear sled traffic all day, and one of the guys in our club said he went out today to check things out & it's getting to be a lot of dirt showing.  Crazy how quickly things changed, given where we were a week ago.

Sucks.  Almost came south today but decided to just rip around the metro.  Just under 150 miles and saw a whopping 8 other sleds.

• 2 weeks later...

@X2700 - we had volleyball all weekend, in Rochester, but I couldn't help but notice how fantastic the trails looked all the way up and down 63 between LC and Roch.  Sure looked like a fantastic weekend to be out there!  That said, I also heard the sad news of the young boy (12 year old) who was involved with the accident down by Theilman today.  Sad to hear that type of news anywhere, let alone so close to home.

Just called Ken at smittys marine.

he said no tracks across yet and hasn’t talked with anyone who’s crossed.

Did say guys starting to get shacks on up river across from maiden rock but close to shore?

been warm here lately and lots of rain.

im sure guy could zip across but always sucks to be the first!!!

River is extremely low and causes more channel current.

about a 20’ section I worry about!!

crossing at pepin to lake city sportsman usually better ice but long rip!!

I have few more calls to make!

• Thanks 1

I see the forecast for the next couple days doesn't bode too well for us in SE MN.  Yuck!!  The latter part of the week looks promising with snow in the forecast Thursday, but man ... seeing dang near 40 degrees in the forecast for today & tomorrow and RAIN?!?! :wall:   It's almost like the snow Gods are telling me I'm going to finally take delivery of my sled this week (go figure!).

18 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

crappy casting... or do you have something binding?  

First one was ~12,000 miles on the 2018, yesterdays was ~7400 miles on the 2021.  I’ve replaced all three in the last year so hopefully I’m done replacing these for a while…

• Like 2