Check your account email address ×

Florida and several other states approved $15/hr wage.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Anler said:

In Switzerland the minimum wage is like $60,000/ year

No its not. :lol:   They have no "MW."   Yes they have more unions but they have no  govt mandated MW. 

While Switzerland has no official minimum wage

https://www.minimum-wage.org/international/switzerland#:~:text=While Switzerland has no official,per month for skilled employees.

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

If people could see how much public housing costs us they would support the raised MW. 

i only struggle with the calls for it to be the same # across the country.  I think states are better left to do this on their own given the variations in COL with a floor on the low side like we have but indexed.   FL is a good experiment because it's a big mix of high and low COL areas. 

Here in NH we don't have a state min wage higher than the fed $7.25 but the free market has ensured there are very few jobs at that level so the free market can work.  But we are a small state and get wage pressure from being located close to Mass and having a high COL. We also don't subsidize housing in any large way.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No its not. :lol:   They have no "MW."   Yes they have more unions but they have no  govt mandated MW. 

While Switzerland has no official minimum wage

https://www.minimum-wage.org/international/switzerland#:~:text=While Switzerland has no official,per month for skilled employees.

I was just there last summer. Thats what we were told. With the prices of everything I believed it. The people there seem rather happy. 

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i only struggle with the calls for it to be the same # across the country.  I think states are better left to do this on their own given the variations in COL with a floor on the low side like we have but indexed.   FL is a good experiment because it's a big mix of high and low COL areas. 

Here in NH we don't have a state min wage higher than the fed $7.25 but the free market has ensured there are very few jobs at that level so the free market can work.  But we are a small state and get wage pressure from being located close to Mass and having a high COL. We also don't subsidize housing in any large way.    

Well Prevailing wages are calculated by county. I dont see why minimum wage cant also be done like that. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

I was just there last summer. Thats what we were told. With the prices of everything I believed it. The people there seem rather happy. 

Their economy is actually quite free.   Low corp taxes, low CG taxes.   They have a minimum or something people have to be paid and its not called a MW in international standards.   Its like $16K in 2009 dollars.    Its right in the link.

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Anler said:

Well Prevailing wages are calculated by county. I dont see why minimum wage cant also be done like that. 

I've always said the fed government already has their pay tables done by COL so they can just use that as part of the min wage.  Set the number for the cheapest area and adjust it up accordingly  

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Even counties have some area's that need to be adjustable.   Iowa City in Johnson county could support a stronger MW than surrounding small towns.

1 hour ago, Anler said:

So the price of your cup of coffee is going to go up $0.25? Oh noes!

Well if a gas station attended it worth 15 pre expenses what is a guy going to have to pay for semi skilled work or toxic/asbestosis  environment work. 

If I am going to take on a worker who knows Jack shit and I am going to havecto take my time to teach them shit I don't mind 15 bucks . But again if a gas station worker is getting 15 that makes my greenhorn worth 22ish and to me not worth it.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Well if a gas station attended it worth 15 pre expenses what is a guy going to have to pay for semi skilled work or toxic/asbestosis  environment work. 

If I am going to take on a worker who knows Jack shit and I am going to havecto take my time to teach them shit I don't mind 15 bucks . But again if a gas station worker is getting 15 that makes my greenhorn worth 22ish and to me not worth it.  

Well you can just do all of the work yourself and make all of the money!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

Their economy is actually quite free.   Low corp taxes, low CG taxes.   They have a minimum or something people have to be paid and its not called a MW in international standards.   Its like $16K in 2009 dollars.    Its right in the link.

But their income taxes are disgusting . I beleive what we would call a low wage worker pays around 27% . From there it goes up to around 60%

4 hours ago, Anler said:

But what happend to the 3 dudes he laid off? Because many services have a price ceiling. $15 to stand in an air conditioned building and hand a coffe to someone means $18-$19 fo a laborer pushing a mower. That moves the next guy up to $22 and the foreman to $27 . At  certain point the customer cuts his own lawn or does his own fall cleanup. 

Dont forget that with increased labor comes increased SS , unemployment and workmans comp costs. Then when you raise your rates to cover those costs your gross sales go up , increasing your general liability. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

But their income taxes are disgusting . I beleive what we would call a low wage worker pays around 27% . From there it goes up to around 60%

Doesn't one have to pay a tax basically equal to the cost of the car when buying one?   :lol:  Maybe that's Sweden.  

They also have a .3-.5% net worth tax.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

But what happend to the 3 dudes he laid off? Because many services have a price ceiling. $15 to stand in an air conditioned building and hand a coffe to someone means $18-$19 fo a laborer pushing a mower. That moves the next guy up to $22 and the foreman to $27 . At  certain point the customer cuts his own lawn or does his own fall cleanup. 

Dont forget that with increased labor comes increased SS , unemployment and workmans comp costs. Then when you raise your rates to cover those costs your gross sales go up , increasing your general liability. 

Are you talking hypothetically? I think the min wage is already close to $15 around here now. I don't think it's going to change anything. How many people at the grocery or food place got let go when covid made all of the prices go up 30%? They are busier than ever now. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Are you talking hypothetically? I think the min wage is already close to $15 around here now. I don't think it's going to change anything. How many people at the grocery or food place got let go when covid made all of the prices go up 30%? They are busier than ever now. 

Of course they are busier then ever. They are needed and people are hoarding. Many business's are not . I pay $60  week to have my lawn cut. At $80 , I would cut it myself. 

Cutting a lawn is a lot like painting. Anyone can do either , but both look much better when done by a pro. Both also have a ceiling of what people will pay before they just do it themselves.

If the wife insisted we had someone come in to clean the house I would pay $50 . If they wanted $80 I would tell her " hey I do shit I dont want to do either , suck it up"

It,s lower wage ocupations that will feel it as everyone earning under $30a n hr will need a raise. 

Sorry , but some drunk or junkie without a drivers license digging holes who only shows up when he feels like it isnt worth $20 an hr. 

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Of course they are busier then ever. They are needed and people are hoarding. Many business's are not . I pay $60  week to have my lawn cut. At $80 , I would cut it myself. 

Cutting a lawn is a lot like painting. Anyone can do either , but both look much better when done by a pro. Both also have a ceiling of what people will pay before they just do it themselves.

If the wife insisted we had someone come in to clean the house I would pay $50 . If they wanted $80 I would tell her " hey I do shit I dont want to do either , suck it up"

It,s lower wage ocupations that will feel it as everyone earning under $30a n hr will need a raise. 

Sorry , but some drunk or junkie without a drivers license digging holes who only shows up when he feels like it isnt worth $20 an hr. 

Well if you are cutting lawns for poverty wages and can't support yourself but could support yourself on welfare what would you do? 

I mean we kinda just went thru this. When people were getting more money to stay home they didn't want to go to work. People need a reason to go to work. $7.15 isn't going to motivate anyone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Anler said:

I mean we kinda just went thru this. When people were getting more money to stay home they didn't want to go to work. People need a reason to go to work. $7.15 isn't going to motivate anyone. 

If you are at a job for min wage for more then a month and havnt gotten a raise yet, that is their way of telling you they dont give a fuck if you quit. You do realize that out of aprox 113 million workers, only 580,000 countrywide work for min wage , right?

27 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

If you are at a job for min wage for more then a month and havnt gotten a raise yet, that is their way of telling you they dont give a fuck if you quit. You do realize that out of aprox 113 million workers, only 580,000 countrywide work for min wage , right?

Who cares? 

37 minutes ago, Anler said:

It might if they stop all freebies including $$$

4 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

It might if they stop all freebies including $$$

Maybe you should focus on the trillions of freebies going to the rich and not the tiny little bit going to the poor....good god man

• Like 1

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

Maybe you should focus on the trillions of freebies going to the rich and not the tiny little bit going to the poor....good god man

Lot of folks refuse to work because they get everything for free, no incentive to work..lots of examples nearby me..just 1 I know well, Ricky gets free housing, free phone and service, free utilities, and monthly checks, all he does is sits around drinking and smoking cigarettes, nothing wrong with him physically to prevent his working he simply refuses cause everythings free..now I would be in favor of helping anyone get on their feet and help train them to work at almost anything they want, even help then get a job, but once that happens the freebies end.

21 hours ago, Anler said:

Already there with some service.  As far as rental rehab work only have a few management company's left we work for . To many guys working out of the back of the truck by them self with no overhead to compete.  I really don't care but those were jobs you could send a guy to do with a little skill with not much oversight. 

10 hours ago, f7ben said:

Yeah cuz we all know the rich don't pay there fair share lol