Check your account email address ×

Surge in Wisconsin hospitalizations.

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Lot's of factors can play into it spin and you know that.   From changing in testing to who and where is becoming infected.   Fact is the death rate is not spiking.   Yes it tends to follow a few weeks behind infections but if Wisconsin is like other states that had surges post the initial round Wisconsin shouldn't see a significant spike in deaths either.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#pop-factors_newdeaths

He was running to minnesota during this pandemic.  Did he spread it?  Did he get tested?  He didn't seem to want to follow guidelines put forth by the governor that he helped elect.   But he sure wants to spread the fear.  Even the governors own personal assistant was not following the guidelines.  Yet this is such a high priority that they make others follow them.

Edited by racer254

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, racer254 said:

He was running to minnesota during this pandemic.  Did he spread it?  Did he get tested?  He didn't seem to want to follow guidelines put forth by the governor that he helped elect.   But he sure wants to spread the fear.  Even the governors own personal assistant was not following the guidelines.  Yet this is such a high priority that they make others follow them.

The focus should be on mortality.   We never give a shit in this country on how many people get the flu but how many get severely ill from it.   Even then we do little nationally besides the vaccine to prevent the spread and have had years where over 100k died.

I'm still waiting patiently for the WHO, CDC, Fauci and the administration (yes Trump too) to come out and talk about making or keeping yourself as healthy as possible thru diet, exercise and getting the proper vitamin intake thru whatever to help fight off ALL INFECTIONS much less heart disease and anything else that can me lifestyle related.   The problem in America is you can't do that because hardly anyone wants to look in the mirror and say something might be part or mostly their own fault.  Being a pretty bad asthmatic until my early 30's I was concerned early on.   Completely changed my lifestyle, starting working out and lost some weight and got my blood pressure down significantly.   Now I'm in the best shape I've been in over a decade and have little concern if I get COVID.   I think in most cases the idea of never letting a crisis go to waste is political propaganda.....it wouldn't have been with this for people taking their own health serious thru their OWN ACTIONS.    

Its likely because of restrictions in lifestyle we are more unhealthy as a country right now than we were when it started.  

Edited by Highmark

Seeing how many kids are scared to show up at school because they think they'll die  SMH

All someone has to do is let another virus loose and most the population of the world with all have strokes or heart attacks, thinning the heard of the weak. Population control...I like it

57 minutes ago, Tinker said:

New Brunswick traced it to 1 fn guy. Flew from Mexico to Toronto then Moncton. From 4 cases to 319 in a couple weeks. Nova Scotia is all over monitoring people that are isolating. 

Still think it can be stopped?   Imagine how quickly it supposedly spread worldwide from one or few people in a Wuhan fish market.  

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Lot's of factors can play into it spin and you know that.   From changing in testing to who and where is becoming infected.   Fact is the death rate is not spiking.   Yes it tends to follow a few weeks behind infections but if Wisconsin is like other states that had surges post the initial round Wisconsin shouldn't see a significant spike in deaths either.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#pop-factors_newdeaths

Death rate in Wisconsin has gone from 3-6 daily to 48 yesterday. That coincides with the spike in cases that began about 3-4 weeks ago. Going from 200 new cases up to 4500.  That’s a fairly significant spike in new infections and deaths. If I had to guess at the contributing factors, it’s the rate in which people in Wisconsin go to the bars and overweight/poor health. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Death rate in Wisconsin has gone from 3-6 daily to 48 yesterday. That coincides with the spike in cases that began about 3-4 weeks ago. Going from 200 new cases up to 4500.  That’s a fairly significant spike in new infections and deaths. If I had to guess at the contributing factors, it’s the rate in which people in Wisconsin go to the bars and overweight/poor health. 

Biggest factor in death by far.   Ave fatality has 2.6 of the concerning pre-existing conditions.   Extraordinarily rare for someone under 70 and healthy to die with it.  

Said from the beginning.....I get the concern but we shouldn't destroy our economy and way of life because of this.   The vulnerable need to be extra cautious not EVERYONE.  

Edited by Highmark

19 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Ah yes, it is being spread at the BARS.  MY GOD, the manipulation is so strong with you.  Packers started playing and the Green Bay area became a hot zone.  That's because people get together to watch the games.  Anything that promotes gathering in groups is obviously causing issues, including HS and MS sports.  You don't seem to hear anything like that.....NO IT'S THE BARS AND RESTAURANTS CAUSING THE PROBLEM.  Such manipulation.

The group that started getting COVID in mid to late Sept and early October was 25 to 34.  Most likely to be the same group with children going back to school.  Yeah, maybe the same group that visits bars, but bars were open before that and the cases didn't spike until school started.  Coincidence?

Edited by racer254

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Biggest factor in death by far.   Ave fatality has 2.6 of the concerning pre-existing conditions.   Extraordinarily rare for someone under 70 and healthy to die with it.  

Said from the beginning.....I get the concern but we shouldn't destroy our economy and way of life because of this.   The vulnerable need to be extra cautious not EVERYONE.  

The virus has been mutating. It’s become more contagious yet less lethal. That’s a common course of a virus. The lethality of the virus during its inception was higher than the current virus type. I think another contributing factor to Wisconsin’s increase is the pig headed nature and lower than average education and intelligence levels. A lot of people simply refuse to wear a mask or avoid crowds. I’ve been picking up some work at a regional clinic. If I get it, it’ll affect an entire department with closures and isolation. So I’m very careful. Two weeks ago at Oshkosh Truck several employees were sent home because of potential exposure. A lot of people are either too stupid or self centered to practice proper guidelines. 

Edited by spin_dry

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Herd immunity will cost 2.5 million Americans their lives on the low side of the estimate.

Herd immunity typically only occurs in smaller communities. Viruses usually burn out before herd immunity occurs. At any point Covid 19 could simply go away with no reasonable explanation. It’s exactly what happened with several influenza viruses including the Spanish flu. 

26 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The virus has been mutating. It’s become more contagious yet less lethal. That’s a common course of a virus. The lethality of the virus during its inception was higher than the current virus type. I think another contributing factor to Wisconsin’s increase is the pig headed nature and lower than average education and intelligence levels. A lot of people simply refuse to wear a mask or avoid crowds. I’ve been picking up some work at a regional clinic. If I get it, it’ll affect an entire department with closures and isolation. So I’m very careful. Two weeks ago at Oshkosh Truck several employees were sent home because of potential exposure. A lot of people are either too stupid or self centered to practice proper guidelines. 

Not disagreeing but you have a link to that?   I might agree on the less lethal because of other factors than the virus itself but with what I've seen first hand I don't totally agree on the more contagious part.   Are you suggesting they will reverse course again and tell us it easily spread thru fomites again?

I think the change in lethality is more to do with who is being infected over the virus itself.   That and we are much better treating it.

Early on we were sending people infected into nursing homes who were far from prepared to handle it.   

Edited by Highmark

54 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Guy 28 or so died from the vaccine trials.  He was given placebo.

28 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I agree, I also think this is not the second wave, but more likely the third or even fourth.

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not disagreeing but you have a link to that?   I might agree on the less lethal because of other factors than the virus itself but with what I've seen first hand I don't totally agree on the more contagious part.   Are you suggesting they will reverse course again and tell us it easily spread thru fomites again?

I think the change in lethality is more to do with who is being infected over the virus itself.   That and we are much better treating it.

Early on we were sending people infected into nursing homes who were far from prepared to handle it.   

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/pandemic-virus-slowly-mutating-it-getting-more-dangerous

It's actually mutating slower than a normal virus

"In part that’s because it changes more slowly than most other viruses, giving virologists fewer mutations to study."

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Still think it can be stopped?   Imagine how quickly it supposedly spread worldwide from one or few people in a Wuhan fish market.  

Stopped ? No

Controlled until treatment is available and or a vaccine ? Yes

There's only 4 cases in Nova Scotia, everything is open, there's no mask requirement cuz no one has it. You get stopped at the border and you are checked on constantly for 14 day quarantine at the address you  sign for otherwise you're out. Life is good

34 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I’ve received several emails from Wisconsin health and the CDC about the issue. This is from a a quick search. The information is readily available. I do agree that treatment has improved a lot which means better outcomes. Death isn’t a very good marker for the destructive nature of a disease. Hospitalizations need to be considered as a cost to society. However, given the fact that a lot of elective surgeries were cancelled or postponed, I’m wonder how the increased covid and cancelled electives cancel each other out 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/10/coronavirus-could-be-growing-more-infectious-but-less-deadly.html%3foutputType=amp

Edited by spin_dry

33 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve received several emails from Wisconsin health and the CDC about the issue. This is from a a quick search. The information is readily available. I do agree that treatment has improved a lot which means better outcomes. Death isn’t a very good marker for the destructive nature of a disease. Hospitalizations need to be considered as a cost to society. However, given the fact that a lot of elective surgeries were cancelled or postponed, I’m wonder how the increased covid and cancelled electives cancel each other out 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/10/coronavirus-could-be-growing-more-infectious-but-less-deadly.html%3foutputType=amp

I can agree with that.   

I know locally almost zero young people were testing positive early,  then boom Aug/Sept that's all I heard including almost all my college age nieces and nephews and their friends.   That started when HS grad parties started back up the same time weddings did.   Then when they got back to college that spike continued.   Seems to have settled some now in that age group locally.

Fact is there is a lot of truth in the saying the fix should not be worse than the virus.  I feel that really holds true for a virus of this nature.   That goes from the mental side of what it does to people losing jobs and business' to school kids falling behind because online learning just isn't as effective (not to mention the social interaction impact of closing schools.)   There are so many things I feel were a larger negative impact on society than the virus itself.   

Edited by Highmark

36 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Death tolls in hospitalizations are down dramatically from the beginning of the pandemic.  Something like 75-80% reduction across all age tranches in aggregate.  That's good news.

However, excess deaths in other areas, not so good.

In 25-44 age group, "excess deaths" are up about 25%, many of which are "deaths of despair."

Heard yesterday about a study out of the UK indicating:

Diabetes deaths: up 86%

Parkinsons: up 79%

Prostate cancer:  up 53%

Breast cancer:  up 47%

Bowel cancer: up 46%

That doesn't take into account the dramatic increase in things like overdoses, suicides, etc that have been largely unreported.

This is what folks meant when "the cure can't be worse than the disease."  Everyone's only focused on one side of the equation because that's the only data the media cares to investigate and/or report.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Death tolls in hospitalizations are down dramatically from the beginning of the pandemic.  Something like 75-80% reduction across all age tranches in aggregate.  That's good news.

However, excess deaths in other areas, not so good.

In 25-44 age group, "excess deaths" are up about 25%, many of which are "deaths of despair."

Heard yesterday about a study out of the UK indicating:

Diabetes deaths: up 86%

Parkinsons: up 79%

Prostate cancer:  up 53%

Breast cancer:  up 47%

Bowel cancer: up 46%

That doesn't take into account the dramatic increase in things like overdoses, suicides, etc that have been largely unreported.

This is what folks meant when "the cure can't be worse than the disease."  Everyone's only focused on one side of the equation because that's the only data the media cares to investigate and/or report.

Yet overall death counts will be slightly lower or around average this year. 

But panic! Lock down!