Check your account email address ×

Kodak C.E.O. Got Stock Options Day Before News of Loan Sent Stock Soaring

Source: New York Times

The stock options suddenly were worth about $50 million -- the latest instance of extraordinary good timing by corporate executives. 

By Jesse Drucker and Ellen Gabler 
July 31, 2020, 5:55 p.m. ET 

At the beginning of this week, the Eastman Kodak Company handed its chief executive 1.75 million stock options. 

It was the type of compensation decision that generally wouldn't attract much notice, except for one thing: The day after the stock options were granted, the White House announced that the company would receive a $765 million federal loan to produce ingredients to make pharmaceuticals in the United States. 

The news of the deal caused Kodak's shares to soar more than 1,000 percent. Within 48 hours of the options grants, their value had ballooned, at least on paper, to about $50 million. 

The government loan is part of a broader federal effort to increase the country's ability to respond to the coronavirus and future pandemics. 

The options grant to Kodak's executive chairman and chief executive officer, Jim Continenza, is the latest example of executives and board members at companies receiving such federal support to benefit from extraordinarily good timing. A number of those companies are involved in the hunt for vaccines and treatments for Covid-19. 

Insiders at Vaxart, for example, received stock options shortly before the California biotech company announced in June that its potential coronavirus vaccine was being tested in a program organized by a federal agency, causing its shares to instantly double. 

Around the time that Kodak began talking with the federal government this spring, Kodak insiders began receiving stock options. The pattern was first reported by Non-GAAP Thoughts, a digital newsletter. 

On May 20, Kodak handed out 240,000 stock options to board members -- an addition to its usual equity distribution in January. 

The May stock options awarded to directors are now worth about $4 million. Those options are eligible to be exercised gradually over the course of this year.

Jesse Drucker is an investigative reporter for the Business desk. He previously worked for The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg News where he won a pair of awards in 2011 for investigative and explanatory reporting from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers for a series on how U.S. multinationals shift profits into tax havens. @JesseDrucker 

Ellen Gabler is an investigative reporter for The New York Times. @egabler 

https://twitter.com/JesseDrucker 

https://twitter.com/egabler

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/business/kodak-ceo-stock-options.html

14 minutes ago, Snake said:

Do you know why stock options are so disgusting?

People wanted to limit management pay.

How well did that work out?

Not at all (as you know).  It’s now just a sweet perk that is used as part of the top officer golden parachute after they drive their own companies into the dirt.  However, we’ve profited very well with stock options over the years so, I can’t whine too much about them.

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Source: New York Times

The stock options suddenly were worth about $50 million -- the latest instance of extraordinary good timing by corporate executives. 

By Jesse Drucker and Ellen Gabler 
July 31, 2020, 5:55 p.m. ET 

At the beginning of this week, the Eastman Kodak Company handed its chief executive 1.75 million stock options. 

It was the type of compensation decision that generally wouldn't attract much notice, except for one thing: The day after the stock options were granted, the White House announced that the company would receive a $765 million federal loan to produce ingredients to make pharmaceuticals in the United States. 

The news of the deal caused Kodak's shares to soar more than 1,000 percent. Within 48 hours of the options grants, their value had ballooned, at least on paper, to about $50 million. 

The government loan is part of a broader federal effort to increase the country's ability to respond to the coronavirus and future pandemics. 

The options grant to Kodak's executive chairman and chief executive officer, Jim Continenza, is the latest example of executives and board members at companies receiving such federal support to benefit from extraordinarily good timing. A number of those companies are involved in the hunt for vaccines and treatments for Covid-19. 

Insiders at Vaxart, for example, received stock options shortly before the California biotech company announced in June that its potential coronavirus vaccine was being tested in a program organized by a federal agency, causing its shares to instantly double. 

Around the time that Kodak began talking with the federal government this spring, Kodak insiders began receiving stock options. The pattern was first reported by Non-GAAP Thoughts, a digital newsletter. 

On May 20, Kodak handed out 240,000 stock options to board members -- an addition to its usual equity distribution in January. 

The May stock options awarded to directors are now worth about $4 million. Those options are eligible to be exercised gradually over the course of this year.

Jesse Drucker is an investigative reporter for the Business desk. He previously worked for The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg News where he won a pair of awards in 2011 for investigative and explanatory reporting from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers for a series on how U.S. multinationals shift profits into tax havens. @JesseDrucker 

Ellen Gabler is an investigative reporter for The New York Times. @egabler 

https://twitter.com/JesseDrucker 

https://twitter.com/egabler

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/business/kodak-ceo-stock-options.html

You paid yourself with dividends to pay lower taxes right?

Hypocrite much.

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Where in the fuck is the SEC.....

Who knows probably getting paid off. Only regular people go to jail!! That’s why I’ve been so hell bent on seeing these people go down for trying to take Trump down. It has zero to do with me liking trump and everything to do with me bring tired of seeing these assholes commit crimes and getting away with it

1 hour ago, jtssrx said:

Who knows probably getting paid off. Only regular people go to jail!! That’s why I’ve been so hell bent on seeing these people go down for trying to take Trump down. It has zero to do with me liking trump and everything to do with me bring tired of seeing these assholes commit crimes and getting away with it

He’s a part of the orchestra brother....I been tryin to tell you

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Actually I may be up in Virginia mid week.  Wanna get together and dance?  How do you look in a corset?

I don’t need a corset motherfucker....all my bits are where were when I was 20!!!!

4 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Exactly, the fucking SEC was absent during the whole mortgage crisis, I doubt they give 2 shits about this little blip on the radar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I don’t need a corset motherfucker....all my bits are where were when I was 20!!!!

Mine aren’t.  My shit has “slidden”.  LOL.

Still, a good slap fight and a few beers isn’t bad for anybody.  Unless you’re a girl.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Mine aren’t.  My shit has “slidden”.  LOL.

Still, a good slap fight and a few beers isn’t bad for anybody.  Unless you’re a girl.

I wore some big bruises from the toughest kid we know. We drank tequila the other night until I told him to bring it. That shit is for kids....I couldn’t move the next day. He said I knocked the wind out of him with a shot to the ribs and he had to stop though so I guess I won lol...I don’t remember a bit of it

12 hours ago, snoughnut said:

Exactly, the fucking SEC was absent during the whole mortgage crisis, I doubt they give 2 shits about this little blip on the radar. 

The SEC was absent because Dubya sent 300 of the top regulators chasing bin laden. That effectively gutted the SEC. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, f7ben said:

I wore some big bruises from the toughest kid we know. We drank tequila the other night until I told him to bring it. That shit is for kids....I couldn’t move the next day. He said I knocked the wind out of him with a shot to the ribs and he had to stop though so I guess I won lol...I don’t remember a bit of it

Fuck those days. Wake up the next morning feeling like you got hit by a car.