Check your account email address ×

Tory taking out the trash!

Sksman

Well John Tory is finally going to privatize eastern Toronto garbage.  No more jobs for life.

It will be interesting to see if the union collective put together a bid to provide service.  See if they can all of a sudden pick up more garbage in a day.  

I know Fail, lower wages, blah, blah, blah.

truthfully had the city workers stepped up, increased their productivity, saved the city some money, there would be no privatization.  But in true city worker union fashion they will complain when the city has to find savings.  

Now what were you saying Fail?

I remember the last round of the garbage pickup being contracted out. The union set up and publicized a hot line for people to call for problems with garbage pickup in the contracted out areas. Nobody called except Olivia Chows mother to complain that her garbage was normally picked up at 7:00 am, it was now almost 8:00 and still hadn't been picked up.

i wonder what ever happened to Chow. You never hear about her anymore and not much about her kid who is also a career politician.

Watching a news report @ my brother's last week he couldn't get over the "articulating arm" used to lift the cans. He'd never seen them before. Fast forward to a union official saying its members work hard. Is there any manual labour involved other than driving the trucks?

36 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Watching a news report @ my brother's last week he couldn't get over the "articulating arm" used to lift the cans. He'd never seen them before. Fast forward to a union official saying its members work hard. Is there any manual labour involved other than driving the trucks?

The guys who pick up the recycle, garbage and green bins lift nothing. They operate the truck with a joy stick from the curb side. A lot like playing a video game. Now those who pick up yard waste actually give those paper bags and bundled twigs / branches actually do a physical heave hoe.

not sure how anyone is going to lift these but maybe strong guys like yourself can :dunno: never mind claims for comp is next to zero now.

Really guys in the big picture your savings is nothing, matter of fact you pay more for garbage today then you did before contracting.  You will continue to see increases for your bucket size yearly

garbage.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x767.jp

5 hours ago, Sksman said:

Well John Tory is finally going to privatize eastern Toronto garbage.  No more jobs for life.

It will be interesting to see if the union collective put together a bid to provide service.  See if they can all of a sudden pick up more garbage in a day.  

I know Fail, lower wages, blah, blah, blah.

truthfully had the city workers stepped up, increased their productivity, saved the city some money, there would be no privatization.  But in true city worker union fashion they will complain when the city has to find savings.  

Now what were you saying Fail?

Privatizing is more about making millions (as political pay offs) then it is about saving money in most cases.  Toss some big numbers around and the average hater is sold on the idea.  GARBAGE is a huge business that never ends ITS THE GRAVY TRAIN AT ITS BEST

If the public was really interested in saving money we would have drop off centers where you take your garbage daily or weekly whatever.  But you won't see that anytime soon.

9 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

not sure how anyone is going to lift these but maybe strong guys like yourself can :dunno: never mind claims for comp is next to zero now.

Really guys in the big picture your savings is nothing, matter of fact you pay more for garbage today then you did before contracting.  You will continue to see increases for your bucket size yearly

garbage.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x767.jp

Poor poor Fail... if it costs the city less to pick up the garbage it costs us less.... Bottom line. How the city breaks out the charges and shows it on the tax bill or water/waste bill is a separate matter.

It's proven time and time again the private contract costs the city less than paying the job for life city garbage pickup. Primarily because the contractor productivity per person per truck per hour is higher than the city operated pickup.

Pay attention... nobody is lifting these... they are done by an articulating arm controlled by a joy stick.... no tougher than playing a video game so injuries and WSIB should be zero or pretty damn close.

Edited by 02sled

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

Privatizing is more about making millions (as political pay offs) then it is about saving money in most cases.  Toss some big numbers around and the average hater is sold on the idea.  GARBAGE is a huge business that never ends ITS THE GRAVY TRAIN AT ITS BEST

If the public was really interested in saving money we would have drop off centers where you take your garbage daily or weekly whatever.  But you won't see that anytime soon.

As if that would work when a large number of the population don't have vehicles. Can you imagine if folks took their garbage & green bins to a transfer station via the TTC?

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Poor poor Fail... if it costs the city less to pick up the garbage it costs us less.... Bottom line. How the city breaks out the charges and shows it on the tax bill or water/waste bill is a separate matter.

It's proven time and time again the private contract costs the city less than paying the job for life city garbage pickup. Primarily because the contractor productivity per person per truck per hour is higher than the city operated pickup.

Your collection went up? yes or no - YOU are paying more end of story.   lets break it down per household the savings is less than $1 a month in the big picture.  Tell me how much your bin went up this year? I already know so don't lie

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

As if that would work when a large number of the population don't have vehicles. Can you imagine if folks took their garbage & green bins to a transfer station via the TTC?

Ya you would only  have one drop of place in a city of 3million :lol:  So I guess it wouldn't work - fact is people don't want to do that, they want to put it at the driveway have it taken away and complain that the guys has too many holidays (insert 02sled here)

Do you have collection?

17 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

No it's about not having to put up with entitled who try to hold taxpayers for ransom,  I really don't care if its cheaper or not.  I would pay more to not have to deal with the city crew.  How long did the strike last in Peel?  Get the picture now?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, revrnd said:

If you were paying attention, they use an articulating arm (controlled from the cab) to lift them into the trucks. Not exactly back breaking work in most people's books. 

I like how Peel does the leaf collection.  Just rake them up to the curb.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

No it's about not having to put up with entitled who try to hold taxpayers for ransom,  I really don't care if its cheaper or not.  I would pay more to not have to deal with the city crew.  How long did the strike last in Peel?  Get the picture now?

yup knew it all along

If you remember I wasn't behind the Toronto strikes

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

yup knew it all along

If you remember I wasn't behind the Toronto strikes

Why would you care, you don't there.:lol:

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

some parts of Toronto do that too but than again that might have stopped to save nothing

Well Vaughan better not stop plowing our sidewalks or my driveway windrow or I'm gonna be pissed.

23 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Your collection went up? yes or no - YOU are paying more end of story.   lets break it down per household the savings is less than $1 a month in the big picture.  Tell me how much your bin went up this year? I already know so don't lie

Wrong again Fail strikes yet again. $1 a month savings per household according to your out of the air number. There were 1,989,705 households in Toronto in 2011 so now definitely over 2,000,000 which means over $2M in savings to the city for garbage pickup.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil124c-eng.htm

I know $2M is nothing in your mind. Eddie Shack used to say it well. Look after the nickels and dimes and the dollars take care of themselves.

The Toronto Utility Bill going back to the David Miller days didn't show the cost for Waste Management. It's only since then that the garbage pickup has been itemized so you see the cost.

Hold onto your hat Fail... you'd better sit down. The cost for garbage pickup billed to me is... wait for it $17.76 PER YEAR. = $0.68 PER PICKUP. The recycle and yard waste isn't billed to me on my utility bill so my weekly cost for garbage, recycle and yard waste pickup is $0.34 per week.

Capture.JPG

I wonder what it would be with the city operated inefficient staff? Guaranteed a lot more or the city wouldn't be opting for a contract to SAVE MONEY. They also wouldn't be changing to save $10K overall. You just know it is in the $M+ which matters. As for the increase council approved 3% as part of the budget process.

The total cost to deliver this service to Toronto residents in 2016 is $389.009 million. For 2016, SWMS identified $17.5 million in opening budget pressures arising from increased costs to support the SWMS Capital Program, as well as operating costs associated with inflationary and operational requirements. These pressures have been fully offset through a series of expenditure reductions and revenue changes, including a 3% rate increase.

Hmmm. $17.5 due to increased costs for the SWMS Capital Program. Contracted pickup would mean they eliminate most if not all of the capital expense since the city isn't buying new trucks and equipment. Pretty good.... an instant $17.5M savings without even looking at operating expense savings. Then the spin off savings in the background. Less city administrators since there's less payroll to process, less EI, WSIB, CPP and medical dental to pay. You know those people that use their drug plan to  steal from the city

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/26/mayor-calls-for-terminations-after-medication-fraud-report.html

City workers who submit questionable or fraudulent claims for drugs such as erectile dysfunction medications and opioids should face termination, says Mayor John Tory in the wake of a damning audit that found millions of tax dollars are being spent on dubious claims.

For example, the auditor’s report found 16 claimants had an equivalent of two to five years’ supply of oxycodone in at least one year, and 32 claimants had an equivalent of 19 months to 6.7 years’ worth of fentanyl patches The report also found examples of “double doctoring,” prescription forgery, and duplicate billing. In one case, 27 claimants were dispensed the same prescription opioid, including methadone at different pharmacies on the same days.

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Wrong again Fail strikes yet again. $1 a month savings per household according to your out of the air number. There were 1,989,705 households in Toronto in 2011 so now definitely over 2,000,000 which means over $2M in savings to the city for garbage pickup.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil124c-eng.htm

I know $2M is nothing in your mind. Eddie Shack used to say it well. Look after the nickels and dimes and the dollars take care of themselves.

The Toronto Utility Bill going back to the David Miller days didn't show the cost for Waste Management. It's only since then that the garbage pickup has been itemized so you see the cost.

Hold onto your hat Fail... you'd better sit down. The cost for garbage pickup billed to me is... wait for it $17.76 PER YEAR. = $0.68 PER PICKUP. The recycle and yard waste isn't billed to me on my utility bill so my weekly cost for garbage, recycle and yard waste pickup is $0.34 per week.

Capture.JPG

I wonder what it would be with the city operated inefficient staff? Guaranteed a lot more or the city wouldn't be opting for a contract to SAVE MONEY. They also wouldn't be changing to save $10K overall. You just know it is in the $M+ which matters. As for the increase council approved 3% as part of the budget process.

The total cost to deliver this service to Toronto residents in 2016 is $389.009 million. For 2016, SWMS identified $17.5 million in opening budget pressures arising from increased costs to support the SWMS Capital Program, as well as operating costs associated with inflationary and operational requirements. These pressures have been fully offset through a series of expenditure reductions and revenue changes, including a 3% rate increase.

Hmmm. $17.5 due to increased costs for the SWMS Capital Program. Contracted pickup would mean they eliminate most if not all of the capital expense since the city isn't buying new trucks and equipment. Pretty good.... an instant $17.5M savings without even looking at operating expense savings. Then the spin off savings in the background. Less city administrators since there's less payroll to process, less EI, WSIB, CPP and medical dental to pay. You know those people that use their drug plan to  steal from the city

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/26/mayor-calls-for-terminations-after-medication-fraud-report.html

City workers who submit questionable or fraudulent claims for drugs such as erectile dysfunction medications and opioids should face termination, says Mayor John Tory in the wake of a damning audit that found millions of tax dollars are being spent on dubious claims.

For example, the auditor’s report found 16 claimants had an equivalent of two to five years’ supply of oxycodone in at least one year, and 32 claimants had an equivalent of 19 months to 6.7 years’ worth of fentanyl patches The report also found examples of “double doctoring,” prescription forgery, and duplicate billing. In one case, 27 claimants were dispensed the same prescription opioid, including methadone at different pharmacies on the same days.

so the savings is even less since I just went on 1 million homes but since its 2million we have 11 million in savings ( according to the city) divided by the 2 million homes  $5.50 a year on average.

Since you claim to only pay 17$ a year you should be ashamed to wish for low wages and less bennies with that bill

Thanks 02sled nice post

How dare you guys argue with Failmaker!!

I started this thread for him to prove a point with all his factual union information.

Have yet to see anything posted but his union line of you pay more when city says numbers show an $11million saving.  

Oh yes, Failenomics again.  

Maybe that is what Olivia Chow is teaching at Ryerson.  Failenomics.  The course bio would read : How  to become a life long public servants and mastering the art of bleeding taxpayers dry.  

1 minute ago, Sksman said:

How dare you guys argue with Failmaker!!

I started this thread for him to prove a point with all his factual union information.

Have yet to see anything posted but his union line of you pay more when city says numbers show an $11million saving.  

Oh yes, Failenomics again.  

Maybe that is what Olivia Chow is teaching at Ryerson.  Failenomics.  The course bio would read : How  to become a life long public servants and mastering the art of bleeding taxpayers dry.  

I said you pay more than you did, prove me wrong and show me this big savings on your bill :dunno:  02sled claims to pay less than 20$ a year holy fuck to complain about pickup at that cost is simply fucked up period.  Garage is the least of your worries, but since they make okay money you all have a problem with that.  How about you complain about the new councilors being discussed :nuts: that  is alot of money for no reason what so ever, if anything they should cut the amount of councilors. 

I know the goal

39 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

so the savings is even less since I just went on 1 million homes but since its 2million we have 11 million in savings ( according to the city) divided by the 2 million homes  $5.50 a year on average.

Since you claim to only pay 17$ a year you should be ashamed to wish for low wages and less bennies with that bill

Thanks 02sled nice post

Oh poor STILL WRONG AGAIN FAIL. It was your number of $1 per household STILL UNSUPPORTED - JUST YOUR OUT OF YOUR HEAD NUMBER AS USUAL. But even if it was accurate you dismiss $2M as being nothing.

STILL WRONG AGAIN FAIL - You conveniently focus on your made up in your head claims and dismiss the numbers from THE CITY OF TORONTO website that states the annual budget includes $17.5 million in opening budget pressures arising from increased costs to support the SWMS Capital Program

How stupid can you be... don't answer that... I already know... read the line carefully $17.5M in FROM INCREASED COSTS. What part of that don't you understand. The city has a capital budget for garbage collection that is INCREASING by $17.5M on top of what it already was. They contract out and they no longer need a capital budget. Capital expense belongs to the contractor now. So maybe you can understand this... it's a MINIMUM of $17.5M in savings to the city + the pre-opening capital budget +++. A far cry from the $2M you came up with out of your head.

How much tax money savings does it take until you think it's worthwhile $17.5M plus isn't enough. Would a $25M savings be enough. Just so long as we keep overpaying underworked city employees you're good with that... got it.

Edited by 02sled