Check your account email address ×

Liberal Radio....Obituaries.

Nov 9th:

iHeartMedia Liberal Talk “92.1 The Mic” WXXM Sun Prairie/Madison WI dropped its format at 11am this morning and has flipped to Christmas Music as “92.1 Best-FM“.

As reported yesterday in our Daily Domains report, the move will lead to a new format for the station under the “Best-FM” branding after the holidays. A format change had been expected since the station’s brokered afternoon show was told in late October that WXXM was cancelling their show.

92.1 The Mic goes out with a 2.1 share in the Summer 2016 Nielsen Audio ratings, by far the highest for any station in the format registered by Nielsen.

INSTANT INSIGHT: WXXM was the longest lasting and most successful of the Liberal Talk stations to launch in the mid 2000’s. While the timing of the format change following the election of Donald Trump last night will elicit a strong backlash from the station’s previous core audience, from a billing perspective there’s no way the station was making money. It’s audience skewed just as old as Conservative Talk without a flagship program to sell to national advertisers.

The format may very well see a rebound under the Trump administration, but it will need an owner that is invested in the format and willing to find a way to find that flagship national program.

------------------------------

Nov 14th

Madison-area progressive radio takes another hit. John "Sly" Sylvester’s daily call-in program has been booted from 93.7 WEKZ-FM. Sylvester, a longtime liberal commentator, announced on his Facebook page that he learned of the change Friday. WEKZ is part of the southern Wisconsin/northern Illinois Big Radio regional chain of eight stations, based in Monroe. He will remain a DJ for the station. The change comes at a bad time for Madison listeners of liberal radio. On Nov. 9, 92.1 The Mic, WXXM-FM, dropped its progressive talk format and replaced it with Christmas music. - See more at: http://isthmus.com/news/news/sly-loses-his-talk-show/#sthash.OzhFXUZL.dpuf

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Liberals can't do talk radio. They have never been able to tap into the success enjoyed by conservative hosts.

Well, let's not forget that most talk radio is listened to as people commute to work and back.  Hardly the target market for libs.

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Liberals can't do talk radio. They have never been able to tap into the success enjoyed by conservative hosts.

Conservative radio just taps into the grumpy old white person's script. Its pretty easy since the world they grew up in doesnt really exist anymore and they want it back.

What happened to when you used to mail someone a letter? couple days later you got the letter. Nowadays everybody is emailing and texting. Kids dont even know how to write letters anymore. grumble grumble...

42 minutes ago, Anler said:

Conservative radio just taps into the grumpy old white person's script. Its pretty easy since the world they grew up in doesnt really exist anymore and they want it back.

What happened to when you used to mail someone a letter? couple days later you got the letter. Nowadays everybody is emailing and texting. Kids dont even know how to write letters anymore. grumble grumble...

I know a few people who listen to talk radio who are not old.  Well 40's, maybe that is old :dunno:

A lot of people don't trust the MSM or feel the news has a liberal slant. I only have a 6 minute ride to work, so I don't listen to a whole lot of it, but yeah a lot of it is pitching doom & gloom.

Edited by Cold War

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

I know a few people who listen to talk radio who are not old.  Well 40's, maybe that is old :dunno:

A lot of people don't trust the MSM or feel the news has a liberal slant. I only have a 6 minute ride to work, so I don't listen to a whole lot of it, but yeah a lot of it is pitching doom & gloom.

I have listened to it also. Its designed to incite. They say stuff that is intended to make you angry. Its too exhausting for me to stick with.

8 minutes ago, Anler said:

I have listened to it also. Its designed to incite. They say stuff that is intended to make you angry. Its too exhausting for me to stick with.

I listen to it some as well, but I usually don't get angry.  It usually promotes me to look up the topics being discussed and see if I can actually believe what is being said.  I listened to Bill Press in the morning going to work and a local conservative host on the way home.  I was amazed at the different subject on the national level vs local level.  Most of the national level stuff was just rhetoric and bashing vs the local talk radio.

12 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I listen to it some as well, but I usually don't get angry.  It usually promotes me to look up the topics being discussed and see if I can actually believe what is being said.  I listened to Bill Press in the morning going to work and a local conservative host on the way home.  I was amazed at the different subject on the national level vs local level.  Most of the national level stuff was just rhetoric and bashing vs the local talk radio.

have you ever listened to the sinister stories Rush has told about Obama. Fucking whack ass shit. People believe that stuff.

27 minutes ago, racer254 said:

BEE EYE EYN GEE OH.  :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Well, let's not forget that most talk radio is listened to as people commute to work and back.  Hardly the target market for libs.

More so young people at work or even all ages groups that listen to only music have a very narrow mindset.   "Tunes" interest them more than current events.  Its why talk radio is dominated by the right.   Only talk radio liberals listen to is ESPN.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

They eat it up at Gospel. Facebook is loaded with his bullshit

Are you kidding me? You are public enemy number one when it comes to posting that shit. You are so delusional that I seriously am considering calling your retirement home to have them even out your meds. What the fuck... hahaha