Check your account email address ×

Houston is a great place to live

Port Authur is 75 miles from the extreme edge of Houston. 100 miles from the city limits. 

Port Authur TX is a complete shit hole. It has been since the 50’s. Refinery row. 

The only people who move to Port Authur are the ones who cant afford to live anywhere else. 

Much of Houston is very nice. Some of it is horrible just like any big city. 

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

That is the area east of Houston.  Lots of run-down/dumpy places around Houston though.  We were pretty surprised.  

I was in west Texas boar hunting not too long ago. The guys I hunted with said Houston is beginning to smell like Galveston. They weren’t too pleased. 

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

what a stupid article. The only people the video montage showed were black or Mexican. We all know they can't be trusted. 

That's Spin's MO. He gets off trying to make heads spin/implode, hence his name.

Personally, I think Spin should head to Cali and live with his people there. It looks so nice and must be a blast dodging feces and needles on a daily basis. 

They even have feces apps to help you try to avoid it.

Just now, spin_dry said:

I was in west Texas boar hunting not too long ago. The guys I hunted with said Houston is beginning to smell like Galveston. They weren’t too pleased. 

I interviewed there 2 years ago and we spent 4 days down there.  Don't really remember any particular smell where we stayed, but Galveston smelled like the Gulf.  

Ran the ring roads and looked around various areas at houses.  Ran across some super sketch areas on the south and east/northeast sides of Houston.

Never have seen so many Hummer H2's and Jeep Wranglers in my life.  

And it was humid as hell the entire time we were there, everywhere we went. 

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I interviewed there 2 years ago and we spent 4 days down there.  Don't really remember any particular smell where we stayed, but Galveston smelled like the Gulf.  

Ran the ring roads and looked around various areas at houses.  Ran across some super sketch areas on the south and east/northeast sides of Houston.

I think 95% of the hummers made are in Texas. One of the guys I hunted with had an H2 with a blower. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I think 95% of the hummers made are in Texas. One of the guys I hunted with had an H2 with a blower. 

A lot of nice cars on Turo down there.

And damn near every GM pickup and SUV had a "Texas Edition" badge on it, and many other non-GM vehicles too.  

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Exactly. Galveston does smell like the gulf because its right on the ocean. I was just there in January for the 20th time in my life. 

channelview, texas city, baytown, port authur, league city, etc. all smell like refineries.  All complete shit places to live. 

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Exactly. Galveston does smell like the gulf because its right on the ocean. I was just there in January for the 20th time in my life. 

channelview, texas city, baytown, port authur, league city, etc. all smell like refineries.  All complete shit places to live. 

We ate at this place in Freeport called the Ironhorse (or Seahorse?).  Some of the best seafood I've had the last few years.  My only regret was not eating more seafood while we were there.  

It was right on the beach and we watched a handful of 2wd lifted trucks get stuck in the sand, only to be rescued by the Jeeps. 

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

We ate at this place in Freeport called the Ironhorse (or Seahorse?).  Some of the best seafood I've had the last few years.  My only regret was not eating more seafood while we were there.  

It was right on the beach and we watched a handful of 2wd lifted trucks get stuck in the sand, only to be rescued by the Jeeps. 

Seahorse bar and grill. My very best friend is from Freeport. I partied hard in Freeport the summer of 1985. Freeport is a pretty fun little town. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Seahorse bar and grill. My very best friend is from Freeport. I partied hard in Freeport the summer of 1985. Freeport is a pretty fun little town. 

It looked like it.  We got our Turo from the airport, drove down the Freeport, up to Galveston, stopped and Kemah, up around the east and north side of Houston, and to our hotel the day we got down there.  It was a fun day.

Would like to do it again with another day or two of free  time.  

3 minutes ago, s pump said:

Houston is a nIce Town surrounded by miles of oil industry sites. Like planting a garden in a oil field. Fuck that.

The oil industry sites are all east of Houston. The article spin posted is about Port Authur. 100 miles east of Houston. 

25 minutes ago, Anler said:

Not to mention it's hot and humid as fuck there. 

That is the worst part no doubt. Heat and humidity sucks big time. In January is was around 70 in Galveston and 98% humidity and I was sweating. The humidity just lugs you down. Today in Havasu it was 92 with almost no humidity and I didn't even sweat once that I noticed.

I dont want it to be much above 90 though. That is perfect with low humidity and a breeze. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Only time there was the airport , and that smelled like Bourbon st in NOLA

9 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Port Authur is 75 miles from the extreme edge of Houston. 100 miles from the city limits. 

Port Authur TX is a complete shit hole. It has been since the 50’s. Refinery row. 

The only people who move to Port Authur are the ones who cant afford to live anywhere else. 

Much of Houston is very nice. Some of it is horrible just like any big city. 

Show me a big city and I'll show you parts of it that are a shithole.  Hell that don't even have to be that big. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Summers are unbearable. It’s like NOLA 

I worked in Baton rouge louisiana for 5 days. It would rain cats and dogs and then the sun would come out and would be 96f. You could get yourself into heat stress trouble pretty quick in that humidity. But they had amazing air conditioning. Outside was miserable but inside you almost needed a coat. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Summers are unbearable. It’s like NOLA 

I spent about 2 months in Houston working in the early 80’s. Couldn’t wait to gtfo. Just unbearable humidity. I liked Dallas a lot better.

Just now, Anler said:

I worked in Baton rouge louisiana for 5 days. It would rain cats and dogs and then the sun would come out and would be 96f. You could get yourself into heat stress trouble pretty quick in that humidity. But they had amazing air conditioning. Outside was miserable but inside you almost needed a coat. 

Same in Florida.   I've done a lot of equipment testing there and the summers are something.   Rain them within seconds upper ninety's and high humidity.  We had to wear khakis and a polo because of the location.   I'd bring 3 extra of both each day and change periodically.   Even up here we get some hot and humid weather but in the south its relentless.