Check your account email address ×

AP FACT CHECK: Trump falsely says ventilators coming 'fast'

Source: Associated Press 

AP FACT CHECK: Trump falsely says ventilators coming ‘fast’ 

By TOM KRISHER and HOPE YEN 
March 22, 2020 

DETROIT (AP) — President Donald Trump is falsely claiming that automakers including GM, Ford and Tesla are pitching in to manufacture medical ventilators “fast” to help fill an acute U.S. shortage of the medical equipment for coronavirus patients. 

Ford and GM have yet to start, and it would take them months, if not longer, to begin production, if it’s even possible. 

A look at the claim: 

TRUMP: “Ford, General Motors and Tesla are being given the go ahead to make ventilators and other metal products, FAST! @fema Go for it auto execs, lets see how good you are?” — tweet Sunday. 

TRUMP, on addressing a shortage of ventilators: “General Motors, Ford, so many companies — I had three calls yesterday directly, without having to institute like: `You will do this’ — these companies are making them right now.” — briefing Saturday. 

THE FACTS: No automaker is anywhere close to making medical gear such as ventilators and remain months away — if not longer. Nor do the car companies need the president’s permission to move forward. 

Neither GM or Ford is building ventilators at present, while Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted Friday that his company was “working on ventilators” but he didn’t specify how long it might take. His tweets also questioned the need and said it couldn’t be done immediately. 

Read more: https://apnews.com/17868870ddfc526c6c7f454d651b6d7f

just a fyi you know jack shit . in MN alone I know for a fact 1 medical manufacturing  company is using old molds for some ventalators parts from another company in the same field . been setting up tooling all week and hope to be shipping parts this week to CA . so 2 places in MN alone are dropping everything else working together to get shit out . and shit going to CA leads me to beleve the parts are going to tesla . but yeah some dio shit bias reporter knowes best .

now if tesla planned on doing it all alone it would be 5 mo to start production.  but that is not how shit works in the real world 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Source: Associated Press 

AP FACT CHECK: Trump falsely says ventilators coming ‘fast’ 

By TOM KRISHER and HOPE YEN 
March 22, 2020 

DETROIT (AP) — President Donald Trump is falsely claiming that automakers including GM, Ford and Tesla are pitching in to manufacture medical ventilators “fast” to help fill an acute U.S. shortage of the medical equipment for coronavirus patients. 

Ford and GM have yet to start, and it would take them months, if not longer, to begin production, if it’s even possible. 

A look at the claim: 

TRUMP: “Ford, General Motors and Tesla are being given the go ahead to make ventilators and other metal products, FAST! @fema Go for it auto execs, lets see how good you are?” — tweet Sunday. 

TRUMP, on addressing a shortage of ventilators: “General Motors, Ford, so many companies — I had three calls yesterday directly, without having to institute like: `You will do this’ — these companies are making them right now.” — briefing Saturday. 

THE FACTS: No automaker is anywhere close to making medical gear such as ventilators and remain months away — if not longer. Nor do the car companies need the president’s permission to move forward. 

Neither GM or Ford is building ventilators at present, while Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted Friday that his company was “working on ventilators” but he didn’t specify how long it might take. His tweets also questioned the need and said it couldn’t be done immediately. 

Read more: https://apnews.com/17868870ddfc526c6c7f454d651b6d7f

You should seek help

Yeah, I shook my head and called bullshit on this whopper. He sure loves to say what he thinks people want to hear regardless of how easy it is to prove wrong.

DETROIT (AP) — President Donald Trump is falsely claiming that automakers including GM, Ford and Tesla are pitching in to manufacture medical ventilators “fast” to help fill an acute U.S. shortage of the medical equipment for coronavirus patients

20 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The fuckin liar in chief

This will be resolved in 7 months. Me personally, I made and lost money with Trump. 

I like his immigration policy.

I can't stand the way he cuts people off, and immediately starts talking over them. 

He calls himself a " WARTIME PRESIDENT ". He's a fukkin punk. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

why is there now a shortage of medical workers in the US or a shortage of power ? 

You have 172,000 ventilators. How many people do you think are qualified to run them? Those people will be the most at risk because they will be dealing with the infected people.

They will be overworked or some won't be able to come to work because they can't send their kids to daycare. 

Containing it is the key. 

Trump giving false hope is stupid. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

You have 172,000 ventilators. How many people do you think are qualified to run them? Those people will be the most at risk because they will be dealing with the infected people.

They will be overworked or some won't be able to come to work because they can't send their kids to daycare. 

Containing it is the key. 

Trump giving false hope is stupid. 

Jesus what is he suppose to do tell everyone to put their head between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye?

There is no playbook for this.   No manual for them to follow.   This is not an easy thing to deal with.   You are damned if you do damned if you don't. 

Edited by Highmark

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Jesus what is he suppose to do tell everyone to put their head between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye?

There is no playbook for this.   No manual for them to follow.   This is not an easy thing to deal with.   You are damned if you do damned if you don't. 

He should have told people what the experts were telling him.

He should have told people to socially isolate. 

He should not have contradicted the Doctors and pandemic experts. 

When it was 15 cases, he should not have said, we will have this to zero soon,  we have the almost 100% contained.  

Basically he should have been a leader and told the truth.  

Because a significant portion of the US population distrusts the news media and scientists. Trump made it worse. 

Trudeau is a tool but he told the truth, stood behind the science and our rate is not climbing at nearly your rate.  I'm sure we will see a spike in cases after march break vacationers return.  I'm hoping they will listen and stay isolated.  I'm betting the combination of our PM being honest about the virus and social conscience of Canadians will help Canada. 

56 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Trudeau is a tool but he told the truth, stood behind the science and our rate is not climbing at nearly your rate.  I'm sure we will see a spike in cases after march break vacationers return.  I'm hoping they will listen and stay isolated.  I'm betting the combination of our PM being honest about the virus and social conscience of Canadians will help Canada. 

55 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Wait till we get the tax bill for this, Then we will the honesty of Trudeau and his band of pirates 

56 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

He should have told people what the experts were telling him.

He should have told people to socially isolate. 

He should not have contradicted the Doctors and pandemic experts. 

When it was 15 cases, he should not have said, we will have this to zero soon,  we have the almost 100% contained.  

Basically he should have been a leader and told the truth.  

Because a significant portion of the US population distrusts the news media and scientists. Trump made it worse. 

55 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

3 minutes ago, toslow said:

Wait till we get the tax bill for this, Then we will the honesty of Trudeau and his band of pirates 

Ohhh it's going to hurt alright.  Are you suggesting he should spend less?  Should he have handled it like the US?

Because I'm going to bet that we will come out of this better than the states.  Our debt will increase less per capita, we will have less deaths per capita and less people will be sick per capita. 

I'm also quite thankful that the Scheer idiot or Harper are not PM.  For all Trudeau's faults, he trusts scientists. 

6 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Ohhh it's going to hurt alright.  Are you suggesting he should spend less?  Should he have handled it like the US?

Because I'm going to bet that we will come out of this better than the states.  Our debt will increase less per capita, we will have less deaths per capita and less people will be sick per capita. 

I'm also quite thankful that the Scheer idiot or Harper are not PM.  For all Trudeau's faults, he trusts scientists. 

Not suggesting he shouldn't spend less, still early to see where this bullshit ends. Just wondering how much of the tax they are going to boost be blamed on this.

Some of the money being spent was allocated for other countries as we have a commitment.

Edited by toslow

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Barb, you do know population density is what plays the largests roll in a virus that spreads by human contact right?? has nothing to do with who is president.. Your entire country has the population of California, there are 3 Canadians per square mile while in the US there are 84 Americans per square mile.. The fact you think the virus spreads based on who the president is just reaffirms to the entire forum how mind numbingly stupid you truly are...:hay:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

List 30 whoppers that Biden told. 

Oh, I see, because the media/you think Trump has lied more, that makes him the bad guy and all the others are angels.

Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant, Barb?  You really aren't that bright, are you? :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redheaded Stepchild said:

Lying is lying to most.

Not to Barb and a few others on here. He who lies the most is a piece of shit scumbag who has no business existing on this earth!!!! 

• Confused 1

Just now, Redheaded Stepchild said:

Biden has been a politician for 40 yrs or so.

I'm sure he's told plenty.

Oh, there's no doubt about it, but of course, in our liberal majority news media outlets, we don't hear about all those lies. Why more don't see that is beyond me, but then again, being a sheep and being incapable to think for oneself, is it any wonder? 

cnnn1.jpg

• Like 1