Check your account email address ×

Market will be halted within minutes of open again

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

And you have to accomplish all that while providing for and raising a family. No small feat but definitely doable as long as you dont mind buying and owning used toys and transportation.  

In 16 months my only bills will be my small mortgage. I’m going to really start saving hard then for a few years

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

In 16 months my only bills will be my small mortgage. I’m going to really start saving hard then for a few years

My oldest was/is a good saver. She started her first IRA at 19 years old. Put away some of her Summer earnings while going to college. 

Middle and youngest are not as good. I will leave it at that. Hahaha

My oldest was/is a good saver. She started her first IRA at 19 years old. Put away some of her Summer earnings while going to college. 

Middle and youngest are not as good. I will leave it at that. Hahaha

I really wish I had done way more even in my early 30s. I was making more 10 years ago than I am now. I could easily have 500k if I had saved at the max rate which would have been easy

Ill make up for it the next 10 years though 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

I disagree. If I divorce her she can only spend half instead of all. 

Plus all future earnings will be all yours. 

Not advocating for divorce but I dont know a single divorced guy who is worse off today than when they were married. 

Plus all future earnings will be all yours. 

Not advocating for divorce but I dont know a single divorced guy who is worse off today than when they were married. 

Just saying if it comes to that, tuff decisions will have to be made!

1 hour ago, s pump said:

That's not a wise financial move. Ask me how I know.

Well you also fucked yourself living in an alimony state.  Guy who sits in the office opposite me moved to his beach house and the wife files in MA instead of nh where they lived together. Now he's technically got lifetime alimony.  Can't feel too bad he has 2 vipers and a gallardo still. 

Don't panic

If market strategists can agree on anything in these volatile times, it's not to panic.
A diversified portfolio is built to withstand certain stress, and unless retirement is right around the corner, investors saving for life after employment will have plenty of time to even out recent losses.
Since the start of the year, the S&P 500 (SPX) has fallen more than 14%. But last year's rally boosted the index nearly 29%. So on balance, it's still up versus 2019.
Coronavirus, as scary as it might be for the economy, is also only a temporary factor.

The underlying US economy has been going strong for more than a decade, with steady GDP growth and an unemployment rate near a 50-year low. Wages are growing, albeit slowly, and America's consumers are spending, which is important because they are the backbone of the US economy.
All of this bodes well for a rebound after the coronavirus effect wears off.
"The underlying strength of economic conditions could make it possible for a quick rebound once it appears that the virus is under control," said Brian Rose, UBS senior economist for the Americas. "With support from both monetary and fiscal policy, our base case is that a sustained downturn will be avoided."
The Federal Reserve has already cut interest rates in an unscheduled emergency measure last week, and further cuts are expected. The White House has meanwhile proposed a payroll tax cut.
America won't slide into a recession even though the chances have risen, said LPL Financial in a blog post. Growth in the second half of the year is still expected to outweigh the pain in the first half.

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

10% is doable if you have the knowledge to make that happen. 

In the public market that requires a fair bit of risk to achieve that.  So is Ben gonna ride the ups and downs or try and time the markets?

On 3/12/2020 at 3:16 PM, Angry ginger said:

Well you also fucked yourself living in an alimony state.  Guy who sits in the office opposite me moved to his beach house and the wife files in MA instead of nh where they lived together. Now he's technically got lifetime alimony.  Can't feel too bad he has 2 vipers and a gallardo still. 

Didn't plan on that when I got married......all in all, it was worth it.

On 3/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, Angry ginger said:

1 mil is not enough to retire on at 55 end of story unless your db pension is strong 

My friend pulled the plug at 48 with $2M. He’s doing well. He has no pension, but lives a frugal lifestyle.  

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My friend pulled the plug at 48 with $2M. He’s doing well. He has no pension, but lives a frugal lifestyle.  

$2 mill and no bills it’s doable. You can live decent on that kind of money.  

My pension will be around $87,000 per year Canadian,,, I'm going to retire at 50 this September. Kinda young,,kinda nervous but fuck it,,if I can pay into a pension for 32 years and then draw from it for 32 years,,win win!!

47 minutes ago, HSR said:

My pension will be around $87,000 per year Canadian,,, I'm going to retire at 50 this September. Kinda young,,kinda nervous but fuck it,,if I can pay into a pension for 32 years and then draw from it for 32 years,,win win!!

That is pretty cool. If you have everything paid for you should be able to live comfortably on $87k CDN. You could also work a little on the side if you want to.