Check your account email address ×

Finally Some Sense An A Senseless World

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

I still see those AWD astros around.   I restored one for an old guy who didn’t want let it go.  Doors , quarters, front end, the whole shot.  :lol:

If you had a van in high school you were a cool guy. 

I bought a brand new AWD Astro for my family in 1992. When I replaced it in 2002 it had 288,000 miles on it. I still have it but now it has about 305,000 on it. 

Without question it was/is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Still has the original starter, transmission, water pump, fuel pump, etc. I did replace the alternator, rear leaf springs, brakes and tires. 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

I bought a brand new AWD Astro for my family in 1992. When I replaced it in 2002 it had 288,000 miles on it. I still have it but now it has about 305,000 on it. 

Without question it was/is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Still has the original starter, transmission, water pump, fuel pump, etc. I did replace the alternator, rear leaf springs, brakes and tires. 

They made good service rigs too

1 minute ago, ACE said:

They made good service rigs too

As a side job I installed pex tubing in concrete slabs for about 15 years. My astro can carry four 55 gallon drums full of glycol strapped to a pallet in the back. Fork lift slid it right in place. 

I put some firestone airbags on mine after it retired from family transportation duties. 

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yup,  very reliable but like every other vehicle around here , the rust played hell with them .  The last one I did even the core support was rotten and needed to be replaced. Van ran excellent and his wife , who was under 5’ loved it.  Only vehicle she felt comfortable driving.  

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

I still see those AWD astros around.   I restored one for an old guy who didn’t want let it go.  Doors , quarters, front end, the whole shot.  :lol:

If you had a van in high school you were a cool guy. 

and your name was prob Dan and there was a,good chance it was a chev .

or you were the drummer 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

and your name was prob Dan and there was a,good chance it was a chev .

or you were the drummer 

My brother was a drummer van guy. 

short base ford , 351, custom paint and mag rims.   It was a sweet ride. :ylsuper:

I can remember when they came out. I was a salesman at a Dodge dealership. Hottest thing in the showroom. People were tripping over themselves to buy one. We had one in the showroom with no miles per se on it and a customer opened and closed the sliding door and the side glass on the door fucking exploded! The wife said that was ok she wanted it right then and there. Put some plastic with ductape on the door and out the door it went!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Cold War said:

short base ford , 351, custom paint and mag rims.   It was a sweet ride. :ylsuper:

what no don't come knocking when  the van is a rocking sticker 

40 minutes ago, Cold War said:

really who is not a fan of a old school van lol.

I also had a,76 tradesman 200 318 with 3 on the tree.in like 89 90 91 

it was the old Brainerd international speedway pit truck. i got it with only 30k on it .she was sweet gold with a white and black racing strip down the side that swooped up to the roof . craiger Ss rims fat 15s in the back skinny 14s up fr my buds dad owned a junk yard and he let us rape a conversion van for parts.

that tradesman  saw almost every state at least 2 times following the dead around and hauling big tanks of NOS from show to show lol . she made 270k before she went big in Oakland .

I think back and am shocked that we were not pulled over every time a cop saw it lol

19 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

really who is not a fan of a old school van lol.

I also had a,76 tradesman 200 318 with 3 on the tree.in like 89 90 91 

it was the old Brainerd international speedway pit truck. i got it with only 30k on it .she was sweet gold with a white and black racing strip down the side that swooped up to the roof . craiger Ss rims fat 15s in the back skinny 14s up fr my buds dad owned a junk yard and he let us rape a conversion van for parts.

that tradesman  saw almost every state at least 2 times following the dead around and hauling big tanks of NOS from show to show lol . she made 270k before she went big in Oakland .

I think back and am shocked that we were not pulled over every time a cop saw it lol

Right on . I love old school vans . The gaudier the better.  Murals down the side , big plush interiors.   :lol:

5 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

You must have done the ball joints and idler arms a few times as well. I had a safari. The 4.3 was bullet proof.

4 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

You must have done the ball joints and idler arms a few times as well. I had a safari. The 4.3 was bullet proof.

Forgot about the idler arms. Ball joints are still solid in mine. So are the tie rod ends. 

8 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Right on . I love old school vans . The gaudier the better.  Murals down the side , big plush interiors.   :lol:

lol my buddy had a k5 blaze in high school that some one airbrushed a outterspace thing in the center center that would be white . had the shuttle flying around some asteroids or some shit miss planets and stars some u think sputink 1 was in there Marvin the martian was in the corner holding a air brush  lmfao quality stuff.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Forgot about the idler arms. Ball joints are still solid in mine. So are the tie rod ends. 

Do you guys salt the roads...that is what killed the ball joints. Like you said, most reliable vehicle ever.

17 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

Do you guys salt the roads...that is what killed the ball joints. Like you said, most reliable vehicle ever.

No salt or CaCl or any of that BS here. My Astro has no rust. Or no cancer thats for sure. 

27 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

yeah they deff still have a fan base and I can't go 2 days with out seeing one at a lumber yard or home store still making  58 cents a mi 

Edited by Ez ryder

The van will easily hit 300,000 miles. Everything is still tight as a drum. The sienna’s AWD system with Blizzaks is amazing in the snow. A friend has had his Ford Escape titanium in the garage 4 times this winter. He’s pursuing a lemon law buyback. What a total disaster for a vehicle. I think he paid almost $40k for the pos. Meanwhile my $2k van with $500 worth of new parts has been trouble free for almost three years. I’m loving it. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:11 AM, frenchy said:

I see the opposite.

Aggressive minivan driver is alive and well around here. The man who is forced to drive a minivan by his rotund wife who doesn't put out anymore who takes his frustrations out on the road tailgating you, swerving in and out of traffic, and just behaving like a general on road asshole because it's all he has in life. 

On my weekly 740 mile commute to Maine, it is Subaru drivers universally setting the speed limit in the left lane. Last week on 95 this woman in an Outback had 3/4 mile empty hiway in front of her and rode alongside the car next to her at 60 mph for miles. About 6 cars before me made aggressive moves to get by her just clearing her bumper each time. I get up on her and she is waving at me looking in the mirror. I rarely get upset but  this bitch was endangering everyone.  Fuck Subaru divers.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:59 AM, NaturallyAspirated said:

I prefer minivan to the Suburban we got.  

Both are Meh vehicles though.

Neal

Ever consider announcing your lesbianism? 

21 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I knew a guy who ran his custom stripe business out of the back of his and pulled a three-place trailer up north almost every weekend with it he loved it as well

14 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The van will easily hit 300,000 miles. Everything is still tight as a drum. The sienna’s AWD system with Blizzaks is amazing in the snow. A friend has had his Ford Escape titanium in the garage 4 times this winter. He’s pursuing a lemon law buyback. What a total disaster for a vehicle. I think he paid almost $40k for the pos. Meanwhile my $2k van with $500 worth of new parts has been trouble free for almost three years. I’m loving it. 

Nice job Sanford