Check your account email address ×

MN vrbo owners fucked

so looks like our fucked uo greedy politicians decided if you have a cabin that you rent out from time to time you will be now taxed at commercial property amounts . so let's say I pay 900 a yr it will jump to north of 10g  if I have a vrbo listing .

good luck finding a cabin to rent in MN from here on out 

well there is something fucked up if commercial rates are 10x that of residential to begin with.  If you VRBO IMO more than the 14 free days the irs gives you then it is in fact a rental property not a residence and should be taxed accordingly.  not fair to the hotels/resorts renting cabins who are paying and have to compete if there truly is that kind of difference in tax rates.  

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

well there is something fucked up if commercial rates are 10x that of residential to begin with.  If you VRBO IMO more than the 14 free days the irs gives you then it is in fact a rental property not a residence and should be taxed accordingly.  not fair to the hotels/resorts renting cabins who are paying and have to compete if there truly is that kind of difference in tax rates.  

Crackhead understood zero of this

35 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Crackhead understood zero of this

ok ben you live here go look it up and get back to me with your 2cents . I watched 2 news story's tonight on cbs and nbc . i guess you are more informed than them on this issue 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

so looks like our fucked uo greedy politicians decided if you have a cabin that you rent out from time to time you will be now taxed at commercial property amounts . so let's say I pay 900 a yr it will jump to north of 10g  if I have a vrbo listing .

Yeah, it’s causing a real stink up here.  I understand some of it but, like any government taxation, it’s just overboard. 

41 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

That's a thread killer.  

I own a cabin in MN and the thought has crossed my mind about renting out a few weekends to pay the taxes and insurance.  The only way I'd ever do it would be to snowmobile groups who I would guide all around northern MN.  Still though the pain of cleaning and extra firewood it just wouldn't be worth it to me.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, it’s causing a real stink up here.  I understand some of it but, like any government taxation, it’s just overboard. 

The way its been brought up I thought it was the city that was doing this not the state.  There are several houses in Two Harbors that are rented out weekends in the summer months.

1 minute ago, Fireball 440 said:

The way its been brought up I thought it was the city that was doing this not the state.  There are several houses in Two Harbors that are rented out weekends in the summer months.

it is or should i say was .the state has people helping city's implement and  track down rentals now 

1 minute ago, Fireball 440 said:

I know Duluth has been dipping their greedy paws into this for a while now.  We’ve got friends that have a nice little seasonal bed and breakfast for a a decade that now just want to sell because of the tax increases and change in status being forced on them.  

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I know Duluth has been dipping their greedy paws into this for a while now.  We’ve got friends that have a nice little seasonal bed and breakfast for a a decade that now just want to sell because of the tax increases and change in status being forced on them.  

i know ben knowes better but the owners on tv tonight were showing tax statments of 20x what they were just 2 yrs ago 

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

but say duplexes are not taxed comercial why a rental cabin 

Cause a duplex is maybe is a long term residence with a long term lease...  if the duplex is rented daily like a hotel or a vrbo then ya tax it like a daily rental....

Edited by BOHICA

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Cause a duplex is maybe is a long term residence with a long term lease...  if the duplex is rented daily like a hotel or a vrbo then ya tax it like a daily rental....

who knowes govenment logic 

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

i know ben knowes better but the owners on tv tonight were showing tax statments of 20x what they were just 2 yrs ago 

There a lot of people here that rent their homes out for Grandma’s marathon, the Burky, big ships, and other misc. things.  They aren’t always rented and it’s not guaranteed.  But the city is after them like that tax revenue will solve the homeless problem.  Typical.  Duluth has been losing population numbers for years, runs off new employers with browbeating taxes and regulations.  Meanwhile, homeless and “the working poor” numbers are on the rise. Liberal policies for the win!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

There a lot of people here that rent their homes out for Grandma’s marathon, the Burky, big ships, and other misc. things.  They aren’t always rented and it’s not guaranteed.  But the city is after them like that tax revenue will solve the homeless problem.  Typical.  Duluth has been losing population numbers for years, runs off new employers with browbeating taxes and regulations.  Meanwhile, homeless and “the working poor” numbers are on the rise. Liberal policies for the win!!!!!!

I was in Duluth for the first time in yrs not just passing thrugh on the freeway 2 weeks ago for a funeral.  WTF it is a total shit hole now . just depressing 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I was in Duluth for the first time in yrs not just passing thrugh on the freeway 2 weeks ago for a funeral.  WTF it is a total shit hole now . just depressing 

It’s hilarious.  Plow workers went on strike a while back and all the mayors office could talk about was the new community warming centers with fresh cots and hot cocoa for the homeless and the news was all aflutter over it....while people couldn’t get to work on the skeleton crew that fucked up the roads after the big storm.  Total idiocy.  TOTAL.

15 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

It is a commercial property. Haha welcome to Illinois 20 years ago! :flush:

54 minutes ago, Anler said:

It is a commercial property. Haha welcome to Illinois 20 years ago! :flush:

it is one way to fuck up tourists industry N MN counts on .

I don't short term rent mine but I know some around me do to help offset costs of owning . 

I was going to pick up my pkace and put a basment under it till I found out I would go from seasonal rec property at 900 a yr tax to yr round home tax at 2800 a yr . i can keep a lot of heat tape pluged in for 1900 a yr 

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Vrbo should pay same amount of tax percentages as hotels would pay for the stay imo

Commercial PT rate should be equal or less than private property.  Commercial property should be generating sales and income taxes for the state.   Private homes are not.