Check your account email address ×

how many SAE bolts are there

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

This reads sae and metric too. Calipers aren't accurate though, a Micrometer is used for accuracy as you probably know..I was a machinist twice in my life, calipers were only used for rough checking.

Any decent dial caliper is accurate to .001”. That is good enough for most work. 

I use a Starrett 120 series dial caliper. Ive had it for 40 years. I use it for every single shock service I do.  

I have a cheap ($150) digital caliper too that does sae, metric and fractions. It is not nearly as accurate as the Starrett. 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Any decent dial caliper is accurate to .001”. That is good enough for most work. 

I use a Starrett 120 series dial caliper. Ive had it for 40 years. I use it for every single shock service I do.  

I have a cheap ($150) digital caliper too that does sae, metric and fractions. It is not nearly as accurate as the Starrett. 

Starrett's are top line as are Mitutoyo's. I have $1,000's invested in measuring tools, I also own a small machining shop here so need them..now not used as often, I should start selling off some tools, +/- $72,000 worth sitting here, some tools most have never seen or heard of.

Edited by XCR1250

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Do use use standards to check and calibrate them? and go/no-go standards?

Edited by XCR1250

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Starrett's are top line as are Mitutoyo's. I have $1,000 invested in measuring tools, I also own a small machining shop here so need them..now not used as often, I should start selling off some tools, +/- $72,000 worth sitting here, some tools most have never seen or heard of.

I dont have a machine shop but shock parts are measured to .001”. My Starrett dial caliper is used every time I service a shock. Sometimes dozens of times per shock when Im doing unnecessary revalve jobs. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

I dont have a machine shop but shock parts are measured to .001”. My Starrett dial caliper is used every time I service a shock. Sometimes dozens of times per shock when Im doing unnecessary revalve jobs. 

I still have all the shock tools and Nitrogen tanks, haven't done many in the last few years though, boxes still full of all the seals, bands, pistons, valves, etc.

Edited by XCR1250

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Do use use standards to check and calibrate them? and go/no-go standards?

I have a set of standards I check them with. Just thin hims. .015”, .012”, .010”, .008”, .006” and .002”. 

I rezero several times per day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yea like triple square bits. 

A few years back I helped a high school kid put a clutch in an Audi. That fucking pile of shit had triple square bolts randomly throughout the whole car. The bell housing was held on by 3 normal metric bolts and 3 triple square metric cap screws.  

I had to chase down the Snap On truck and buy a set of triple square bits to get the job done. 

Fuck European cars. 

a high school kid and clutch . wow did not think kids could drive a stick anymore 

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Thats because you don't do much actual mechanic work. 

Typically only super cheap junky socket sets come with off sized sockets like a 13/32. 13/32 is the same as 10mm. 

13/32 is used to keep the dreaded 10mm goblins from stealing your 10mm sockets.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
52 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

This reads sae and metric too. Calipers aren't accurate though, a Micrometer is used for accuracy as you probably know..I was a machinist twice in my life, calipers were only used for rough checking.

Anything i work on that's +or- 5 thou is caliper work, under that is mic.

1 minute ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Anything i work on that's +or- 5 thou is caliper work, under that is mic.

I agree..just somethings aren't as critical to be super accurate..I only use Calipers to rough check though, cripes I have 3 calipers sitting right here next to my computer..1 is a long neck..lol

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I agree..just somethings aren't as critical to be super accurate..I only use Calipers to rough check though, cripes I have 3 calipers sitting right here next to my computer..1 is a long neck..lol

I hate to think of how much I have invested in tools in 40 years. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I hate to think of how much I have invested in tools in 40 years. :lol:

What's crazy in my case anyhow is that I'm still buying tools at 72 years old, for instance I recently bought 4 new VOM's and placed them at different locations so I don't have to go searching..lol one is also an Amp probe.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

What's crazy in my case anyhow is that I'm still buying tools at 72 years old, for instance I recently bought 4 new VOM's and placed them at different locations so I don't have to go searching..lol one is also an Amp probe.

I thought everyone had at least 4 VOM’s!  :dunno:

5 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I just got an older CNC mill for my home shop.   3500# that I have to get up a flight of stairs to put it where I want it.  And I just finished the new bench with the 24"x24" Machinist granite block which is hundreds of pounds.

• Like 1