Check your account email address ×

Doctors blast media, say Coronavirus is absolutely nothing to worry about

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member
52 minutes ago, Anler said:

I wouldnt buy yet, this isnt even close to over. When it hits bottom then yes throw everything at it. 

One positive report out of China and things are going to take off.   How long will that be though?

Just now, Highmark said:

One positive report out of China and things are going to take off.   How long will that be though?

Assuming it doesnt get worse first. And even then there is still the rest of the world. Still a wait and see. How much of your portfolio have you liquidated already? :news: 

Just now, Anler said:

Assuming it doesnt get worse first. And even then there is still the rest of the world. Still a wait and see. How much of your portfolio have you liquidated already? :news: 

Now they are talking people getting reinfected after being cleared ...

And China makes most of our Pharma stuff also ... :flush:

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Nope , and in 3 months stocks will be back where they were 2 weeks ago and the only time you will hear the word corona is outside a bodega.

You and the other stock market gurus have been pretty much wrong about everything so far. So I wouldnt bet on that just yet. Still have the issue of the giant bubble to contend with... 

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

Zero.  Still up on the year but its dwindling fast. 

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Anler said:

You and the other stock market gurus have been pretty much wrong about everything so far. So I wouldnt bet on that just yet. Still have the issue of the giant bubble to contend with... 

IM not overly worried. Were 85 % service. A slowdown dosnt bother me much. The way my battle is going with my planning board, I would almost welcome one.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

IM not overly worried. Were 85 % service. A slowdown dosnt bother me much. The way my battle is going with my planning board, I would almost welcome one.

Well like I said I am sure not too many are all that worried about you. 

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Borrow against my existing stock, that's what my friend Dave does. all the time and he's 77.

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/trading-investing/trading/margin-borrowing

Well obviously you can do what you want but you need to realize that borrowing against your existing portfolio is a good way to lose a lot of wealth. At 72 are you prepared to lose wealth?  If you dont need that money to support your lifestyle that's one thing but if you need the wealth in your portfolio to sustain life then your idea is not very sound. Especially in the current environment. 

But hey, do what you need to do just don't go in blind. Your idea is very risky right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Planning on trying to hit the bottom a bit with some sideline cash.   

We are sitting on a ton of cash, was looking to make an offer on a piece of commercial property yesterday and now I am wondering if I should wait. Its a double edged sword because those properties around here dont last long... 

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Well obviously you can do what you want but you need to realize that borrowing against your existing portfolio is a good way to lose a lot of wealth. At 72 are you prepared to lose wealth?  If you dont need that money to support your lifestyle that's one thing but if you need the wealth in your portfolio to sustain life then your idea is not very sound. Especially in the current environment. 

But hey, do what you need to do just don't go in blind. Your idea is very risky right now. 

Still considering doing it, I've been playing the Market since 1962 when I was willed $5,000, have done very well..

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

We are sitting on a ton of cash, was looking to make an offer on a piece of commercial property yesterday and now I am wondering if I should wait. Its a double edged sword because those properties around here dont last long... 

I hear ya.   I wish I had more cash sitting around right now.   Last fall when I bought my cabin up north I was thinking the markets were peaking so I paid cash.   Worked out well and the place brought in good cash flow during the summer so it all worked out.  

Just now, Highmark said:

I hear ya.   I wish I had more cash sitting around right now.   Last fall when I bought my cabin up north I was thinking the markets were peaking so I paid cash.   Worked out well and the place brought in good cash flow during the summer so it all worked out.  

Are you vrbo it? 

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

How much of a hit did commercial take in your area last time around?

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Are you vrbo it? 

Its on VRBO but we have a management place take care of everything.   They take a pretty good chunk but handle everything but garbage pickup and holding tank pumping.   Not sure why they can't do that too but they don't.  After their %, property taxes and other bills it returns about 50-60% of what its rented for.  

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

How much of a hit did commercial take in your area last time around?

Oh it was huge. Lots of developers went bankrupt. Lots of commerical went empty for years. Good deals to be had if you had the cash to wait it out. It has only recently come back so another trip down the gutter wont be good. 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Its on VRBO but we have a management place take care of everything.   They take a pretty good chunk but handle everything but garbage pickup and holding tank pumping.   Not sure why they can't do that too but they don't.  After their %, property taxes and other bills it returns about 50-60% of what its rented for.  

We stayed at a place in St. German this winter and there was a ton of the properties for sale. It was a nice place too. 

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

We stayed at a place in St. German this winter and there was a ton of the properties for sale. It was a nice place too. 

Yes.   Lots of rentals in the area as well.   My brother and I went in on it together so it keep the investment much less for each of us. (Obviously the return as well) 

Our must have list was pretty high.   Rustic, on the water with level frontage to drive sleds on and off, close to a land trail and a 2 car garage or shop minimum.   We insulated and heated the detached garage and keep it around 55-60 degree's when we are up there.   So frickin nice coming back to a warm shop to wrench if needed and have the sleds melted off in the morning.   Also nice to leave all the gear in the garage so it doesn't stink up the house like 2 stroke smoke.   

If you don't have to be on Big or Little St. then the prices come down in a hurry.  

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yes.   Lots of rentals in the area as well.   My brother and I went in on it together so it keep the investment much less for each of us. (Obviously the return as well) 

Our must have list was pretty high.   Rustic, on the water with level frontage to drive sleds on and off, close to a land trail and a 2 car garage or shop minimum.   We insulated and heated the detached garage and keep it around 55-60 degree's when we are up there.   So frickin nice coming back to a warm shop to wrench if needed and have the sleds melted off in the morning.   Also nice to leave all the gear in the garage so it doesn't stink up the house like 2 stroke smoke.   

If you don't have to be on Big or Little St. then the prices come down in a hurry.  

This was on lost lake