Check your account email address ×

Ted Williams

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Put up these numbers while losing multiple seasons due to WW2 and Korea...pretty badass for a guy playing a “fag sport”.......

You need to let comments like his roll off you.

Generally people who say things like that can't throw catch or hit

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Put up these numbers while losing multiple seasons due to WW2 and Korea...pretty badass for a guy playing a “fag sport”.......

Pretty amazing the great ballplayers who served and lost time.   Williams was one of many.   Warren Spahn served in the army received the purple heart and fought at the battle of the bulge.  

As for fag sport.   I'd like to see one of you take a 95 mph fastball in the ribs then get back in the box and not flinch on hard breaking ball.   Fuck most would see one pitch at that speed and simply quit.   Once they reach mid 90's they make a sound like no other.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Anler said:

When I was a young ball player Ted Williams was my hero but that was before politics and all the other bullshit. I still dont give a fuck, best hitter of all time. 

One of the first true students and teachers of the mechanics of the swing.   I still think his book is one of the best on the topic.   Its at an advanced level that many won't understand.  

41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Pretty amazing the great ballplayers who served and lost time.   Williams was one of many.   Warren Spahn served in the army received the purple heart and fought at the battle of the bulge.  

As for fag sport.   I'd like to see one of you take a 95 mph fastball in the ribs then get back in the box and not flinch on hard breaking ball.   Fuck most would see one pitch at that speed and simply quit.   Once they reach mid 90's they make a sound like no other.  

Good post and I’m with you on that. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Good post and I’m with you on that. 

I've faced mid 90's pitchers probably 8-10 times in my baseball days.   Its hard to understand how much faster a 95 mph fastball is than a 90.   For some reason its a much bigger jump than 80-85 or 85-90.   

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I've faced mid 90's pitchers probably 10-15 times in my baseball days.   Its hard to understand how much faster a 95 mph fastball is than a 90.   For some reason its a much bigger jump than 80-85 or 85-90.   

Never done it but I can imagine....the hand eye coordination has to be spot on to make decent contact. It’s definitely a special talent. 
You played major college baseball correct? 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Never done it but I can imagine....the hand eye coordination has to be spot on to make decent contact. It’s definitely a special talent. 

Faced a kid when I was 18 in a tournament in Nashville that played for Georgia Tech at the time.   The college scouts I talked to after the game told me he was touching 98-99 on the slow gun.   Back then there were two types of radar gun.   Jugs and Ray.   The Ray read 2-3 mph slower because it picked up the balls velocity a bit later out of the hand while the jugs picked up the ball right out of the hand.   They said the only amateur pitcher in the country even close that year was Ben McDonald for LSU who ended up going number one overall in the draft.

Heard later that kid was in a serious car accident as a So or Jr.   I'm not positive but I think both his parents were killed and he was seriously injured.   I know he got drafted pretty high still but maybe wasn't the same.   Played in the Braves organization for a while.   Best I ever faced.   Great slider too but everything was hard so if you keyed up and guess you could catch up.    This was an 18 U league.   A few of us like him and I were in college but young enough to play.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I've faced mid 90's pitchers probably 8-10 times in my baseball days.   Its hard to understand how much faster a 95 mph fastball is than a 90.   For some reason its a much bigger jump than 80-85 or 85-90.   

That’s why changeups fake guys out of their pants.

12 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

That’s why changeups fake guys out of their pants.

Good ones.   Toughest pitch to hit if they are good....especially guys who make them run down and in.  You recognize the pitch...pause a little for timing then when you swing it runs in on your hands. Mike Ignasiak of the Brewers had the best one I've batted off.   Hard 12-6 curveballs are tough as well.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

The guys a fuckin legend

WW2, Korea, best hitter in history and who doesn’t remember Ted Williams Shotguns, fishing rods and reels....ect.....American Icon for sure.