Check your account email address ×

Big name retailers slashing jobs

10 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The discussion was big retailers laying people off, and I was commenting on how on-line shopping has hurt brick and mortar stores, for some reason this set you off on some oddball tangent.

lmfao Jesus they go off to Norway in every thread.

Simple topic.

There is a large multi brand moto- sports dealer near me , at one time he was the largest distributor of snowmobile traction studs in the US he  also carried a large selection of tracks at pretty competitive prices, now he doesn't even stock any tracks and only has limited  number of studs, the internet killed his ability to sell these items competitively.

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I wonder if Hillary and Barack are going to use that continually and effectively during the campaign against Trump?

Probably as much as Trump will use ones like this.

20160301_obama_1.jpg

15 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That's a large demographic who is going to be buying more couches than you or me in the future LOL

Of course I would never buy a couch without sitting and laying in it, but I will say that I buy appliances, home furnishing, clothes, sled parts, etc., and when I think about it 80% of my purchasing is on line.

After a few uncomfortable couches that don't last they might put a little more emphasis on quality when they can afford it. But I agree with you that more and more retail is going online and will continue to do so. I am sort of surprised Best Buy has been able to stay in the game but I assume it is because a large part of their revenue stream is from online sales. 

53 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

There is a large multi brand moto- sports dealer near me , at one time he was the largest distributor of snowmobile traction studs in the US he  also carried a large selection of tracks at pretty competitive prices, now he doesn't even stock any tracks and only has limited  number of studs, the internet killed his ability to sell these items competitively.

Not really. If he was the largest distributor then he had the volume buying power to buy the product for less than anyone else. It would seem what killed him was not evolving his business to include online sales as well and compete in the same arena as those entering the online arena. As you said he was the largest volume dealer so even the online competition just emerging wouldn't be able to get the same low cost from the manufacturer as he could. He can only blame himself for missing that boat.

25 minutes ago, big guy said:

yep and it's going to get worse 

Or the big box stores who have the large volume purchasing power already can evolve their business model. They will shrink their bricks and mortar footprint and at the same time add competitive online sales as part of their business model. I would suggest Home Depot for example would be able to buy a hammer as cheap as or cheaper than anyone else.

They even have in many cases the ability to partner with the manufacturer / distributor where the online retailer doesn't ever touch the inventory. They are an order taker who collects the money and electronically passes the purchaser shipping information to the manufacturer / distributor who picks, packs and ships the order with a periodic financial reconciliation with the retailer.

It's a win win. The consumer doesn't go looking for a hammer manufacturer. They look for a retailer like Home Depot. The manufacturer / distributor already has a distribution process in place. The retailer doesn't. The retailer has the POS in place, the manufacturer doesn't.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

You may be a bit more optimistic than I am on this.  I don't think we are that recoverable in getting smart on politics.  We've gotten to the point where our choices for the most powerful "leader" in the world are: a lying, conniving, phony who's made it rich in politics or, a lying, conniving, brash and arrogant ass who's made it rich in business.  WONDERFUL!  If there ever was a time for "none of the above", it's now.   Both will further divide this country.

Yeah...prolly not...at least not for this election.

I was referring to local ones.

53 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Not really. If he was the largest distributor then he had the volume buying power to buy the product for less than anyone else. It would seem what killed him was not evolving his business to include online sales as well and compete in the same arena as those entering the online arena. As you said he was the largest volume dealer so even the online competition just emerging wouldn't be able to get the same low cost from the manufacturer as he could. He can only blame himself for missing that boat.

Not evolving quickly enough is a problem many have faced, volume buying is only one part of the scenario, overhead, buildings, employees, insurance all these thing a guy with a computer in his basement doesn't have.

My friend is a Polaris dealer one of the oldest in PA he can buy the same brand track cheaper from an independent seller than from Polaris.

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Not evolving quickly enough is a problem many have faced, volume buying is only one part of the scenario, overhead, buildings, employees, insurance all these thing a guy with a computer in his basement doesn't have.

My friend is a Polaris dealer one of the oldest in PA he can buy the same brand track cheaper from an independent seller than from Polaris.

Hate to say it but he appears to be lacking as far as business savvy is concerned. He should be buying that same brand of track from the same source as that independent seller or going to Polaris and saying he needs a better deal. A lot of times it is a matter of asking or leveraging. If the independent guy can buy the track and add markup, handling and still sell it for less than he can buy it there is something fundamentally wrong.

I used to work for a major national retailer. They were revamping their stores across the country. They got significant amounts of money from manufacturers / distributors toward the remodel of the stores. Go to Levis for example and say you want money from them to merchandise their product in your store with a better presentation. Their response.... sure.... how much do you need. The retailer sells more Levis and therefore so does Levis. Same thing with the cosmetics companies as well. It was close to those companies saying how much do you want and writing a cheque.

They just never really asked for the money in the past.

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Hate to say it but he appears to be lacking as far as business savvy is concerned. He should be buying that same brand of track from the same source as that independent seller or going to Polaris and saying he needs a better deal. A lot of times it is a matter of asking or leveraging. If the independent guy can buy the track and add markup, handling and still sell it for less than he can buy it there is something fundamentally wrong.

I used to work for a major national retailer. They were revamping their stores across the country. They got significant amounts of money from manufacturers / distributors toward the remodel of the stores. Go to Levis for example and say you want money from them to merchandise their product in your store with a better presentation. Their response.... sure.... how much do you need. The retailer sells more Levis and therefore so does Levis. Same thing with the cosmetics companies as well. It was close to those companies saying how much do you want and writing a cheque.

They just never really asked for the money in the past.

I don't know your situation, but I will bet he is far better off than you and I, and their dealership has grown very well despite an out of the way location.

The large companies, pick anyone you like have huge overhead, that in many cases nearly eats up the benefit of lower price from buying in volume, technology has changed the business model and many people would rather shop from their phone than visit a brick and mortar store.

8 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Didn't "set me off".  These political threads are hilarious for just complete idiocy, the economic ones where the Dems somehow think we are "booming" are just hilariously sad.  And this thread was not just about "on-line shopping", the comments I was referring to were about the economy. I just didn't feel like quoting all the bizarro claims and explaining why they are either sorta right, wrong, or just plain ridiculous.  There is a reason I typed "some of you" in my opening statement.  For some reason, that 'hook' grabbed you.  That's fine too, if you think this economy is doing well as to where it should be by now after the collapse.  Well, I was referring to you also.  The fact you asked for "credentials" on a forum site made me giggle.  For the purpose of this site, my "credentials" are the exact same as yours (and everyone else's here): I was able to sign up.

You snagged a ball sack.