It's cold in Alaska!

logo

NEWS

Potentially longest cold snap in more than a decade for Anchorage

Monday, January 6th 2020, 11:33 PM AKST
Updated: 
Tuesday, January 7th 2020, 1:44 PM AKST
By: Melissa Frey

For the last four nights, temperatures dropped below zero in Anchorage, which isn't uncommon this time of year, but turns out, hasn't been very common in recent history. 

19079554_G.png

Even on the warm side of town, temperatures dropped to -11 degrees Monday at Ted Stevens, which is the first time since 2017 it's been that cold, but what makes this stretch of cold weather more unique than 2017 is how long it's continuing. 

Back in 2017, we had 4 days below zero, including two nights down to -15 but then it quickly warmed back to normal, in the teens. Our current cold snap, however, will likely continue for several more days. 

19079553_G.png

We're currently under a rather stagnant weather pattern with consistent flow out of the north, which is keeping this cold Arctic air in place across most of the state. Temperatures across the Interior this week have been between -30 and -47 degrees. Fairbanks dropped below zero New Years Day and hasn't been above since.

This cold snap will keep much of the Interior below zero both day and night for close to two weeks and will keep Anchorage below zero overnight through the end of the week.  

19079594_G.png

A stretch of 8 days below zero, which is the current forecast for Anchorage, would make this the longest stretch of temperatures of -3° or lower since 2009. We've seen 8-day stretches of weather this cold more than 30 times since the 1950s, but it's only happened 4 times in the last 20 years. 

Bottom line, this cold snap isn't record-setting but if it continues as forecast, it'll be the longest in more than a decade.

Stay with the KTVA Weather Team for updates on this cold winter weather. You can get the latest weather updates, forecast and live radar anytime on the KTVA Weather App, available now through the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Copyright 2020 KTVA. All rights reserved.

LATEST STORIES 
image.gif.35cde153b83fd916fb79cbb2678de1ca.gif

Property valuation cards will be mailed Jan. 13 to Anchorage property owners.

image.gif.90aabc6a6a89248851e33dc6161ba44b.gif

The location and type of thermometer play big roles in the accuracy of the temperature reading.

image.gif.a5af2929c65a8ec04937311746081e2b.gif

The State of Alaska says Fiat Chrysler and auto parts supplier Robert Bosch have paid more than $400,000 to settle a claim over an emissions "defeat device" in diesel vehicles sold in the state.

image.gif.9b6a833b8a47a5bef1d063e672a4fc6b.gif

Alaska USA Federal Credit Union is acquiring seven new branches in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

image.gif.a59b514f48aa386fa177a64c90e0ebff.gif

Two proposals that could tax alcohol are among three measures the Anchorage Assembly is considering for the April 7 ballot.

All content © copyright KTVA.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.
image.gif.42bf7f487761ba6679c9f1c7de70ea4a.gif

14 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Yeah it's all over the place with the different sources and models. Hope its snow or ice pellets mostly. 

I'm still probably headed up with the wife next weekend regardless.   Put around sand lake and drink some beers 

4 minutes ago, bussman said:

Gotcha. 

I really like riding Price county. Even got me a sweet Polish Palace hat. :bc: 

6DE5D3AC-DE26-44BB-82FD-AF2143BFF16C.jpeg

Family lake home is about a mile away from the PP. it sits right on the Solberg Lake channel. Ive been going up there since “68 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ACE said:

We typically get a lot colder here than anchorage 

like almost always .

was going to head north to cabin  Fri but said fuck that when I saw sat high was 4 and the low was -18

yeah I will take the pussy crown and wear it with pride and stay at home on my couch

Edited by Ez ryder

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

My family owns a bunch of sleds. I do still ride. Just not often. 

Your family?   Like mom and dad? :lmao:

• Haha 1