Check your account email address ×

DOW 30,000

Snake

My exempt market portfolio is at about 40% now and I might grow it to 50% as it is disconnected from retail keyboard commandos.  The rest I'm letting sit and watch the managers who have been successful picking stocks.  The good will get better but the losers may not recover.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Don't know off the top of my head, but you're right many prices are way too high.  16. something% is 25 yr avg, and we're way past that now.  I'm still bouncing around about what if anything I want to put on the sidelines until after the election.  Did sell about 50 grand worth of Amazon cuz i have a stop limit order on it.  Of course it went back up again this afternoon.  :lol:  We're not supposed to time investments at all, but one of my buddies pulled to the sidelines early around 26k on the djia, jumped back in near the bottom, and he's up 50 something % ytd.  I fuckin hate him.  :lol: 

How does an economy plan for a pandemic that pretty much came out of nowhere.  I'm just happy that despite all that, there is still a ton of economic activity.  Its just certain sectors that have gotten  clobbered and will take longer to recover.

Getting ready for college in those 529s is just like getting ready for retirement risk wise.  z

I just went all safe now that it recovered in my youngest 529.   Way more than enough to pay for his 2 remaining years so foolish to have it aggressive.   Its absolutely killed over the life of it.   Iowa has some great funds that do very well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My exempt market portfolio is at about 40% now and I might grow it to 50% as it is disconnected from retail keyboard commandos.  The rest I'm letting sit and watch the managers who have been successful picking stocks.  The good will get better but the losers may not recover.

I guess like any other time in history, there have been both some big winners and losers during this period..  i have a list of managed funds that some are up 20% ytd and some are down 20%.  Its crazy, but i love watching a well designed portfolio just kick ass.  Franklin Dynatech and JP Morgan large cap growth continue to amaze, among several other funds.

48 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I guess like any other time in history, there have been both some big winners and losers during this period..  i have a list of managed funds that some are up 20% ytd and some are down 20%.  Its crazy, but i love watching a well designed portfolio just kick ass.  Franklin Dynatech and JP Morgan large cap growth continue to amaze, among several other funds.

Now is the time for active management rather than just buying the index.  Fidelity Global Innovators is up over 40% this year.

:bc:

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Now is the time for active management rather than just buying the index.  Fidelity Global Innovators is up over 40% this year.

:bc:

All gains are because of QE.....simple as that

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I just went all safe now that it recovered in my youngest 529.   Way more than enough to pay for his 2 remaining years so foolish to have it aggressive.   Its absolutely killed over the life of it.   Iowa has some great funds that do very well.

Just out of curiosity, how much are you talking here? Total portfolio?

22 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

None of your fucking business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

Just wondering if you're talking thousands, millions, what???

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

None of your fucking business.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

So, you're a lightweight?  

Whatever you want to think peepee.

Why don't you tell the class your portfolio worth.

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Getting ready for college in those 529s is just like getting ready for retirement risk wise.  z

yup,  i left it in the game longer than i would have if it was retirement money because the market was running,  couple times i went to pull back but stayed all in.  thought i fucked myself back in march and when the opportunity came to jump out i took it a few weeks back. 

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Whatever you want to think peepee.

Why don't you tell the class your portfolio worth.

Nobody will believe me anyway. 

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

I remember posting back in march i hope it recovered some by the time i had to pay the school bills in august,  it was amazing when it all came back by early July.  Just got both kids tuition bills this week so timing was perfect.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Nobody will believe me anyway. 

Cuz it doesn't matter.  Dont count other peoples money, its their business, not yours.  I don't give a shit how much you have, doesn't matter scratch to  me.  Your heirs are going to end up with most of your money anyways. cuz you're too chicken shit to enjoy any of it  :news: 

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Cuz it doesn't matter.  Dont count other peoples money, its their business, not yours.  I don't give a shit how much you have, doesn't matter scratch to  me.  Your heirs are going to end up with most of your money anyways. cuz you're too chicken shit to enjoy any of it  :news: 

Highmark and Gay Ginger are bitches, so I wanna' know how much they got. What's wrong with that?

15 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Highmark and Gay Ginger are bitches, so I wanna' know how much they got. What's wrong with that?

1.  Its personal business, and none of yours.  

2.  It doesn't matter how much they have, as it has nothing to do with your life.

3.  Its like Trumps tax return, why bring it up at all?  So every swinging dick can just take shots?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

Ur a fraud 

2 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

What is ur TNW ?

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

1.  Its personal business, and none of yours.  

2.  It doesn't matter how much they have, as it has nothing to do with your life.

3.  Its like Trumps tax return, why bring it up at all?  So every swinging dick can just take shots?

I disagree. They are enemies, so I want them to prove how big-shot they are. It has everything to do with my life. 

10 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

I disagree. They are enemies, so I want them to prove how big-shot they are. It has everything to do with my life. 

Well that should convince them to post up their statements.

On another note, I have a really risk averse client, took 1.1 million out of the market in 2018, and put it into a laddered CD arrangement, like 20 of them in his and hers various accounts.  Interest rates were like 3-3.5% range.  2 years later, and interest rates are now around .25% for those same CDs.  What has ended up happening is that the market value of those CDs have gone up 6-9%.  One particular one they had, purchased for $240,000.00, matures in 3 years.  This week, the market value of that CD was $263,000.00.  We buy and sell on the secondary market so there aren't any penalties for early redemption, you get market price.  But wait until maturity, the value reverts back to $240,000.00.  Long story short, the smart play for many investors is to cash those in while the values are up, and roll the money into a fixed annuity for the same remaining term, or in this case 3 years.  I call the client up and get them in, to do the math exercise and figure out where they're positioned.  They cashed in $642,000.00, rolled it into a 1.9% 4 year fixed annuity.  .5% sales charge to cash the CDs in, and 1.5% commission on the annuity, which is built into the product, and I will have put an extra $31,000.00 into the clients pocket in 4 years, than if they had just left it in the CDs.  And I earned a gross commish of 2% on 642k.  Win Win.   *This assumes the client is just looking to park the money in a safe place with a guaranteed return, not using it for income.

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 1