Check your account email address ×

White House tightens food stamp requirements, potentially affecting hundreds of thousands of people

Pete

Another win for Trump

The Trump administration on Wednesday tightened work requirements for food stamp recipients, a move that will potentially affect hundreds of thousands of people who rely on the program.

The new rule is the first of three proposals targeting the Supplemental Nutrition Program, known as SNAP, which feeds more than 36 million people.

The plan will limit states from exempting work-eligible adults from having to maintain steady employment to receive benefits. The Agriculture Department estimates the change would save roughly $5.5 billion over five years and cut benefits for nearly 700,000 SNAP recipients.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue at a House Agriculture Committee hearing. (AP)

Under current rules, work-eligible, able-bodied adults between 18 and 49 and without dependents can receive only three months of SNAP benefits in a three-year period if they don't meet the 20-hour work requirement. States with high unemployment rates or a lack of sufficient jobs can waive those time limits.

Under the new rule, states can only issue waivers if a city or county has an unemployment rate of 6 percent or higher. The waivers will be good for one year and will require the governor to support the request.

The final rule will be published in the federal register Thursday and go into effect in April.

Congressional Democrats were quick to condemn the administration's actions.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., blasted the Trump administration's efforts to reduce public benefits.

"Instead of combating food insecurity for millions, connecting workers to good-paying jobs or addressing income inequality, the administration is inflicting their draconian rule on millions of Americans across the nation who face the highest barriers to employment and economic stability," Pelosi said in a statement.

Brandon Lipps, deputy under secretary for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Nutrition and Consumer Services, did not say when the department will finalize the other two proposed rules.

The Urban Institute in a study released last month estimated that, when taken together, the three measures would affect roughly 2.2 million households and 3.7 million individual beneficiaries.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-tightens-food-stamp-requirements

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Holidays are coming so lets make sure 700,000 can't eat and Dopo rubs his pathetic little pecker in glee....pathetic little fuck.

Another insult.

Go chew on a paint brush and stay outta my threads tubby

Better yet

Put me on ignore.

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Pete said:

Angry pouts dosent like the truth

Good

GFY

Hey moron why don't you bitch about something that costs a lot more money instead of stroking yourself to the thought of starving Americans.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2018/02/07/pentagon-afghan-war-costing-us-45-billion-per-year/

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Another insult.

Go chew on a paint brush and stay outta my threads tubby

Better yet

Put me on ignore.

Not a chance fuckehead as every post of yours deserves to be shit on and crammed back in your ignorant mouth.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Not a chance fuckehead as every post of yours deserves to be shit on and crammed back in your ignorant mouth.

right back atcha tubby

I love getting you worked up.

its very easy. hence my first catch of the day.

HAHAHA

• Haha 1

Just now, Pete said:

right back atcha tubby

I love getting you worked up.

its very easy. hence my first catch of the day.

HAHAHA

Ahh the old fishing narrative...sorry Dopo but not buying it. You're a miserable POS that really loves to hear about Americans going without. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ahh the old fishing narrative...sorry Dopo but not buying it. You're a miserable POS that really loves to hear about Americans going without. 

youre a miserable piece of shit that  cant comment on the articles and all you do is spew shit

GFY

Trump has you pouting again.. :lol2:

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

youre a miserable piece of shit that  cant comment on the articles and all you do is spew shit

GFY

Trump has you pouting again.. :lol2:

Trump has morons like you dancing...hey look I'm for the little guy Dopo as he kicks 700,000 off food stamps..Dopo cheers. Meanwhile 45 billion is spent a year in Afghanistan while Trump takes a dump on a gold shitter at Mar A Lago and home alone Dopo celebrates. 😆

Trump has morons like you dancing...hey look I'm for the little guy Dopo as he kicks 700,000 off food stamps..Dopo cheers. Meanwhile 45 billion is spent a year in Afghanistan while Trump takes a dump on a gold shitter at Mar A Lago and home alone Dopo celebrates. 😆

Over the top drama is a norm for losers like you.  TFB if Trump tightens things up.

Choke on it

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

Over the top drama is a norm for losers like you.  TFB if Trump tightens things up.

Choke on it

Haha...exactly what I’m talking about..Trump cuts benefits to Americans saving a whopping 5.5 billion over 5 years while still spending  like a drunken sailor and idiots like you cheer because he is “tightening things up”...fucking priceless. 😂

Haha...exactly what I’m talking about..Trump cuts benefits to Americans saving a whopping 5.5 billion over 5 years while still spending  like a drunken sailor and idiots like you cheer because he is “tightening things up”...fucking priceless. 😂

im glad it chaps your ass.

:lol2:

• Haha 1

and cunts like you alow your pubes to get pulled to shed a few fake tears fir a non existant prob 

Wrong again dopo...your ignorance makes me laugh because you don’t even see it.

youre not laughing at anything pouty

Youre not happy as usual and I love it.

By far the easiest fish to catch. like a pumpkinseed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Holidays are coming so lets make sure 700,000 can't eat and Dopo rubs his pathetic little pecker in glee....pathetic little fuck.

Yup he is pathetic. Reveling in taking food from people’s mouths.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Guarding oil wells is more important.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh fuck off you fucking useless twat of a man.  Go get your cry towel if you have such a problem with needed welfare reform.  18-49, no kids, non disabled and not in non high unemployment states.....wah.

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This sounds reasonable and is a change that is well overdue to me.

I mean right, whats the big deal??

Hey you can have food stamps, but since you're able-bodied and dont have any reason to really just be sitting at home we are going to require you to get some sort of job training and we will continue to help you in exchange, also the job training will be provided at no cost to you. Hopefully in the future this requirement will help you have a better more productive life in society.. 

And people are pissed about this?? Oh thats right, must keep those lower class people down for life, dependent on the system, keep those votes...SMH

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rigid1 said:

I mean right, whats the big deal??

Hey you can have food stamps, but since you're able-bodied and dont have any reason to really just be sitting at home we are going to require you to get some sort of job training and we will continue to help you in exchange, also the job training will be provided at no cost to you. Hopefully in the future this requirement will help you have a better more productive life in society.. 

And people are pissed about this?? Oh thats right, must keep those lower class people down for life, dependent on the system, keep those votes...SMH

I’m not sure what the problem is here at all.....unless you are a fucking helpless, brainless libtwat yourself...this is easy to accept  and understand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’m not sure what the problem is here at all.....unless you are a fucking helpless, brainless libtwat yourself...this is easy to accept  and understand.

The problem is the biased media leaves out these details and gets people going when the truth is these changes just make sense. But it won’t stop the MC types from crying.

• Thanks 1

This is what pouts cries about.. This  poor guy..:cry:

Lobster Boy Looms Large In Food Stamp Debate

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email

September 19, 20136:30 AM ET

YouTube

Before Fox News turned its cameras on him, Jason Greenslate was an anonymous Southern California beach bum, hanging with his surfer pals, playing in a demonstrably awful band and, in his words, "livin' the ratt life."

He doesn't work and gets $200 a month in food stamp assistance that he sometimes uses to buy lobster.

Which he did, for Fox's cameras, unapologetically.

"It's free food," said Greenslate, a dead ringer for the infamous slacker Jeff Spicoli in the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High. "It's awesome."

And so was born, in the conservative media crucible, the GOP's new face of American indolence.

For House Republicans, who this week will try for the second time in three months to cut farm bill funding for the federal nutrition program, it's a hard anecdote to resist.

After all, a subsequent Fox poll found that 91 percent of respondents said they have a problem with "an unemployed musician receiving taxpayer-funded aid because he doesn't want to take a regular job to pay the bills."

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., have cited Greenslate — or rather "young surfers who aren't working but cash their food stamps in for lobster" — in their push to cut $39 billion over the next 10 years from the nation's nearly $80 billion annual program.

Article continues after sponsor message

Conservative websites have also had a field day with Greenslate's shiftless life motto of "cute chicks and doin' my thing," which intensifies Republican fears of a burgeoning dependency culture under President Obama and a social safety net that encourages able-bodied freeloaders to game the system.

Greenslate's benefit amounts to about $2.19 per meal, a calculation based on three meals a day.

As an able-bodied person under age 50, and with no apparent dependents, the San Diego surfer-musician would qualify among a group of Americans who became eligible for food stamps as part of the 2009 stimulus package.

Those who were newly qualified under the stimulus because of low income or unemployment now make up about 10 percent of the 48 million food stamp recipients. (The program is now known as SNAP, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.)

Nearly 90 percent of recipients have a dependent, whether a child, a senior citizen or someone with a disability.

When the House GOP helped defeat the $940 billion farm bill in June — or the "food stamp and farm bill," as some called it — the conservative Heritage Foundation characterized it as a "victory for taxpayers and a reaffirmation of fiscal responsibility."

Lobster, it should be noted, isn't the only pricey shellfish driving the debate about food stamp freeloading.

Back in June, before Greenslate was elevated as the embodiment of "The Great Food Stamp Binge," Texas Republican Rep. Louis Gohmert shared a similar story on the House floor: the tale of a frustrated constituent who watched a fellow shopper use food stamps to buy king crab legs.

Shellfish. It's the new filet mignon.

• Thanks 1