Check your account email address ×

How did this happen

Snake

Since 2007, the year before the financial crisis, the middle class — defined as those earning $35,000 to $100,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars — has fallen from 43% of the population to 41.7% in 2018.

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, Snake said:

Since 2007, the year before the financial crisis, the middle class — defined as those earning $35,000 to $100,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars — has fallen from 43% of the population to 41.7% in 2018.

Because people have moved up to upper middle class or whatever the next designation is.

http://www.aei.org/publication/yes-the-us-middle-class-is-shrinking-but-its-because-americans-are-moving-up-and-no-americans-are-not-struggling-to-afford-a-home/

middleclass1 (2).png

Edited by Highmark

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

shocking they define $35k as the floor for 'middle class'

Maybe in Boise, Idaho. You’re struggling around here with that salary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You're struggling everywhere with that salary.  That's $17/hr.  No way you're doing any more than subsist on a $17/hr job. 

Man I remember when I was 18 and got my first union job making $10/hr. Fuck man I thought I was rich! :lol: 

6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You're struggling everywhere with that salary.  That's $17/hr.  No way you're doing any more than subsist on a $17/hr job. 

yup,  even where you can get 60-75k houses thats still not middle class.  TBH the 100k cutoff for the top is IMO very low.  I'd put middle class as 50-150 maybe even 200k with a big spread needed to account for geographic location.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

yup,  even where you can get 60-75k houses thats still not middle class.  TBH the 100k cutoff for the top is IMO very low.  I'd put middle class as 50-150 maybe even 200k with a big spread needed to account for geographic location.  

yup. Where I live it's probably 60-180

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Man I remember when I was 18 and got my first union job making $10/hr. Fuck man I thought I was rich! :lol: 

when i graduated college a decent starting salary was low 20's.  Even with that being enough to pay my mortgage and car payment I knew I needed to make more which is why i got into sales.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

You just seriously lowered Barb's status.:lol:

17 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

$200K means your ATI is probably around $140-150K.   That's pretty damn good.  $12,000 take home each month.    You can live extraordinarily well in my area on that.   Not sure where in the US you couldn't.  Sorry but $96.00 hr is far above middle class.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jrose/2019/04/01/heres-how-much-you-make-on-200000-income-after-taxes-in-all-50-states/#140bbcb958dd

Edited by Highmark

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Remember getting a part-time summer job making around that working at a meat processor.  1986.

I went from my other job making about $4.50 and hour to making $10/ hour with benefits. It was a big difference. Plus all of the overtime fuck man I had more money than anyone else I knew my age. Of course I blew most of it on booze and drugs... :lol: 

3 hours ago, frenchy said:

yup. Where I live it's probably 60-180

I would go even higher then that. Someone making $200,00 with a mortgage and a kid or 2 in college dosnt have a whole lot left after bills.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

I would go even higher then that. Someone making $200,00 with a mortgage and a kid or 2 in college dosnt have a whole lot left after bills.

Huh?   A $500K mortgage is about $2400 a month.   That leaves $9600 a month left over?  This is after taxes.   Hopefully they did a bit of saving for kids college prior to them entering it. 

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Huh?   A $500K mortgage is about $2400 a month.   That leaves $9600 a month left over?  This is after taxes.   Hopefully they did a bit of saving for kids college prior to them entering it. 

$500k is either a starter home or a fixer upper in the towns I work in. Average new construction in westford or Acton Mass is $900k+ . add in another 18k a yr for prop taxes .

That's after ya figure the dude is only coming thru the door with 155 -160 after income taxes. Yes $200 k

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

$500k is either a starter home or a fixer upper in the towns I work in. Average new construction in westford or Acton Mass is $900k+ . add in another 18k a yr for prop taxes .

That's after ya figure the dude is only coming thru the door with 155 -160 after income taxes. Yes $200 k

Fuck 100% of that noise.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

And I hardly call that a middle class neighborhood.  

• Thanks 1