Check your account email address ×

Trump's tax returns required under new California election law

Source: Los Angeles Times

President Trump will be ineligible for California’s primary ballot next year unless he discloses his tax returns under a state law that immediately took effect Tuesday, an unprecedented mandate that is almost certain to spark a high-profile court fight and might encourage other states to adopt their own unconventional rules for presidential candidates. 

The law, signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on his final day to take action and passed on a strict party-line vote in the Legislature, requires all presidential candidates to submit five years of income tax filings. They must do so by late November in order to secure a spot on California’s presidential primary ballot in March. State elections officials will post the financial documents online, although certain private information must first be redacted. 

“As one of the largest economies in the world and home to one in nine Americans eligible to vote, California has a special responsibility to require this information of presidential and gubernatorial candidates,” Newsom said in a statement that accompanied his signature on the bill approved by the Legislature earlier this month. “These are extraordinary times and states have a legal and moral duty to do everything in their power to ensure leaders seeking the highest offices meet minimal standards, and to restore public confidence. The disclosure required by this bill will shed light on conflicts of interest, self-dealing, or influence from domestic and foreign business interest.” 

Trump, who is not singled out by the law but is clearly its inspiration, is likely to fight back. 

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-07-30/trump-tax-returns-california-ballot-gavin-newsom-law

40 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Source: Los Angeles Times

President Trump will be ineligible for California’s primary ballot next year unless he discloses his tax returns under a state law that immediately took effect Tuesday, an unprecedented mandate that is almost certain to spark a high-profile court fight and might encourage other states to adopt their own unconventional rules for presidential candidates. 

The law, signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on his final day to take action and passed on a strict party-line vote in the Legislature, requires all presidential candidates to submit five years of income tax filings. They must do so by late November in order to secure a spot on California’s presidential primary ballot in March. State elections officials will post the financial documents online, although certain private information must first be redacted. 

“As one of the largest economies in the world and home to one in nine Americans eligible to vote, California has a special responsibility to require this information of presidential and gubernatorial candidates,” Newsom said in a statement that accompanied his signature on the bill approved by the Legislature earlier this month. “These are extraordinary times and states have a legal and moral duty to do everything in their power to ensure leaders seeking the highest offices meet minimal standards, and to restore public confidence. The disclosure required by this bill will shed light on conflicts of interest, self-dealing, or influence from domestic and foreign business interest.” 

Trump, who is not singled out by the law but is clearly its inspiration, is likely to fight back. 

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-07-30/trump-tax-returns-california-ballot-gavin-newsom-law

So what? Trump said he would love to release his tax returns. 

https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/17/news/donald-trump-tax-returns/index.html

Are you calling the POTUS a liar?

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

yup,  no requirement exists for this and it's a national election.  They can feel free to do it for state candidates though.  

Exactly 

MC fail again 

I suppose no requirements are required? Any requirement can mandated by the state from the amount of signatures required to be on the ballot to your placement on the ballot. Tax requirements can also.

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I suppose no requirements are required? Any requirement can mandated by the state from the amount of signatures required to be on the ballot to your placement on the ballot. Tax requirements can also.

Not until it goes through the courts. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yes

21 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Not until it goes through the courts. 

Yes

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

No question about it.  This is usurping democracy and will be seen as such in violation of the 12th Amendment.

No question about it is right...you're an idiot. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Make your argument.  Let’s go around a little bit.  Show me your brains!!!!

:lol:

As already stated the courts will decide but how does requiring a candidate to produce their tax returns "usurp democracy" more than any other requirement? You made the vague statement so it's on you to make the argument using the 12th as your starting point....Go! 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

As already stated the courts will decide but how does requiring a candidate to produce their tax returns "usurp democracy" more than any other requirement? You made the vague statement so it's on you to make the argument using the 12th as your starting point....Go! 

Sweet fuck!  All night long to come up with something and this was it?  You called me an "idiot' after my post, I asked you to make you counterpoint to my claim and you come back today and say, "No you!"  HOW EDGY!!!!

You are a fucking moron.  I don't know why i'd explain something so basic to you, then..all you'd do is pot, "Blah, blah, blah..blather...blah"You are an ignorant twat.  Go cry Jimmy Pouts!  Go cry.  Boo hoo.

Only in the Primaries....:lmao:

The United States Constitution has never specified the process; political parties have developed their own procedures over time

GOP can simple not host one in CA.   

Edited by Highmark