Check your account email address ×

Taking my dogs for a walk

On our evening "let's go out" walk. Out on the trail on the property. We come around the corner and what do we see? Two Black Bears going house on my beehives! Fucking dogs go bananas, I draw while running after them and calling them off. Definitely a fuck me situation! Luckily they are good mutts and didn't keep chasing the bastards... thought for sure something was dying tonight...

I suppose in a way, lots of things died here today. Two fucking hives... 

KIMG0501.JPG

• Sad 1

Just now, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

On our evening "let's go out" walk. Out on the trail on the property. We come around the corner and what do we see? Two Black Bears going house on my beehives! Fucking dogs go bananas, I draw while running after them and calling them off. Definitely a fuck me situation! Luckily they are good mutts and didn't keep chasing the bastards... thought for sure something was dying tonight...

I suppose in a way, lots of things died here today. Two fucking hives... 

KIMG0501.JPG

That sucks. Bees are cool on so many levels. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That sucks. Bees are cool on so many levels. 

Thanks. Such misunderstood creatures. People don't want to go outside, "You have bees???!!!" They don't bother you if you don't bother them. I once showed up at work and one of the guys is like"you have a bee on your shoulder". Little fucker hitched a ride the whole way, I didn't even know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Thanks. Such misunderstood creatures. People don't want to go outside, "You have bees???!!!" They don't bother you if you don't bother them. I once showed up at work and one of the guys is like"you have a bee on your shoulder". Little fucker hitched a ride the whole way, I didn't even know.

Haha. That’s cool. I have a friend that just got a country home. The two of us are planning three hives next spring. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. We found some used, but refurbished hives from an older beekeeper that’s cutting back because of age. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

that sucks . do you just keep them for your own fiels or rent them out to other farmers or just hobby stuff 

Own fields and hobby stuff. Cool creatures.

4 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

How do you set them up so bears don't get them?

Photo two, electric fencing. Doesn't work so great!

Believe it or not, it's a cliche that bears love honey. It actually serves little nutritional value for them, usually a quick zap puts them back in the woods. If the bears have a poor foraging season, late crops, etc. The fence means absolutely dick, they smash and grab. A lot of the time the geese and pigs scare most of the larger predators away too, coyotes, bears, census workers, bobcats, etc, generally turn the other cheek when they come into the yard... 😣

40 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

We found some used, but refurbished hives from an older beekeeper that’s cutting back because of age.

Bee sure to either freeze the frames and supers, or clean them really good with Dawn or the like, to prevent any disease/cross contamination of mites from the previous brood. Also if they aren't clean to start, your bees may sense the previous ones and won't be productive, possibility mutiny the hive. :salute:

6 minutes ago, Momorider said:

jpeg

That got burnt down Mongo.

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Own fields and hobby stuff. Cool creatures.

Photo two, electric fencing. Doesn't work so great!

Believe it or not, it's a cliche that bears love honey. It actually serves little nutritional value for them, usually a quick zap puts them back in the woods. If the bears have a poor foraging season, late crops, etc. The fence means absolutely dick, they smash and grab. A lot of the time the geese and pigs scare most of the larger predators away too, coyotes, bears, census workers, bobcats, etc, generally turn the other cheek when they come into the yard... 😣

We get those goofy bumble bee style bees every year in the eves of our barn - that don't have stingers.. Forgot what they are called - but they charge at you & hover & stare a few feet away. Always want to swat em with a hat - but never do.

You got hogs too eh.?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Never get attached to the bastards? 

Baby bacon... 

I'd be a cold hard son of a bitch to say I don't get attached. I look at it like this; I have to eat, right? Pork chops are delicious, right? I give these piggies the best life, they get treats leftover from the food pantry, they come when I call them. Hell, the boar let's me wrestle with him, I can grab his tusks and we play tug of war. It's not my fault I'm higher up on the food chain than them, but I respect them and it just is what it is, right?

KIMG0435.JPG

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Baby bacon... 

I'd be a cold hard son of a bitch to say I don't get attached. I look at it like this; I have to eat, right? Pork chops are delicious, right? I give these piggies the best life, they get treats leftover from the food pantry, they come when I call them. Hell, the boar let's me wrestle with him, I can grab his tusks and we play tug of war. It's not my fault I'm higher up on the food chain than them, but I respect them and it just is what it is, right?

KIMG0435.JPG

Love me some hog on the grill - but would have a hard time doing that. Respect people who do tho ...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Love me some hog on the grill - but would have a hard time doing that. Respect people who do tho ...

Same here.

Sorry about your hives WTF :(

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

That got burnt down Mongo.

We get those goofy bumble bee style bees every year in the eves of our barn - that don't have stingers.. Forgot what they are called - but they charge at you & hover & stare a few feet away. Always want to swat em with a hat - but never do.

You got hogs too eh.?

Bee hives were all good faggot ZERO bear issues :) 

21 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

15 minutes ago, ckf said:

Sorry about your hives WTF :(

Thanks. It's just the circle of life. Life is a bitch, I lost 10 piglets this spring, no fault of mine, sometimes the little ones just get run the fuck over by the others and mommas. :football2:

Bummer deal with the hives.  We lost three out of four during the winter.  It was a tough season for the bees in our region.  I'd really be pissed if the bears came to play and finished the hives.

BTW, it wasn't mites doing the harm this year.  Fungicide did the damage.  Pretty tough to locate that source.

I have to admit that having the bees around is fascinating.  (I was against the idea at first because of what I thought I knew.  Turns out, I didn't really know much.)  Those dang things are so focused on gathering and collecting.  The honey bees are on a mission coming and going.  They don't spend time hanging around the place unless doing their orientation flights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Momorider said:

jpeg

honey bees are pretty cool, you guys ever see the article/videos on the hives in NYC?? they come back with all sorts of sugar not just pollen and make all kinds of weird colored honey. raiding dumpsters or factories that produce foods.

• Like 1

I've got a bear that comes through here once in a while. If I see it during hunting season, I'm gonna' cap it. It's a huge one, so it will probably taste like shit, but I don't care, I'll throw it out for coyote bait. 

24 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I've got a bear that comes through here once in a while. If I see it during hunting season, I'm gonna' cap it. It's a huge one, so it will probably taste like shit, but I don't care, I'll throw it out for coyote bait. 

He prolly wants a bj...