Check your account email address ×

9 Ways to Build Better Roads in Michigan

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Does it list how to stop raiding from the transportation fund?

No fucktard it talks about different and innovative road construction methods.

They repaved our street here in the sub last summer. Of course every time we get like a half inch of snow the plows come rumbling thru. It’s already showing some bad spots. Between the freeze and thaw and those plows it won’t look good for long.😕

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Does it really matter what the latest and greatest methods are if you can't afford it?

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Just now, racer254 said:

Does it really matter what the latest and greatest methods are if you can't afford it?

You are easily the dumbest fucking asshole I've ever seen interact on the internet anywhere on any forum ever.

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You are easily the dumbest fucking asshole I've ever seen interact on the internet anywhere on any forum ever.

It makes my fucking head hurt....WTF.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

It makes my fucking head hurt....WTF.

You can tell hes not trolling. He has 4 or 5 genetically deficient neurons firing the same 3 thoughts around his empty skull all day long. 

"Derp , Clinton's suicided that person derp."

Derp , hows government going to afford that derp"

"Derp well we need conservatives like Trump and Bolton and tax cuts derp"

• Haha 2

Money aside, I wonder if it is even possible. Do we even have the man power to complete all these projects?   Every road  in our county is crumbling beyond repair.  They all need to be ripped out  & redone.  MDOT is doing a stretch of highway that runs through our town, about 10 miles worth.  They are projecting  2-3 months to finish, on time. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Do you know why you don't have a bugatti veyron....  YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.   So why bother listing the ways it's better than your current vehicle.  DUH.

Edited by racer254

28 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Money aside, I wonder if it is even possible. Do we even have the man power to complete all these projects?   Every road  in our county is crumbling beyond repair.  They all need to be ripped out  & redone.  MDOT is doing a stretch of highway that runs through our town, about 10 miles worth.  They are projecting  2-3 months to finish, on time. 

They start a project & then leave it sit. BS is what it is ...

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Robbing money paid for road taxes is common and a major contributor to poor quality roads. So, why be such an asshole fat jimmy?

Just now, ManOnManOral said:

Robbing money paid for road taxes is common and a major contributor to poor quality roads. So, why be such an asshole fat jimmy?

Because that’s a whole separate issue from what I posted not to mention Racer is a dolt that always posts stupid shit like this. 

27 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

They start a project & then leave it sit. BS is what it is ...

It was supposed to be done last year. They set orange barrels out and they laid out all summer.   Never did shit.   Now,  they are talking about us paying to put bike paths in next to highway. 😂.  Sure, why not.  No road to drive on, but bike paths. 

20 minutes ago, Cold War said:

It was supposed to be done last year. They set orange barrels out and they laid out all summer.   Never did shit.   Now,  they are talking about us paying to put bike paths in next to highway. 😂.  Sure, why not.  No road to drive on, but bike paths. 

Once in awhile you might see some lazy bastard leaning on a shovel - but nothing ever getting done. Construction delays all summer :flush:

3 hours ago, racer254 said:

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

Good points ...

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That’s interesting stuff. I’ve often been puzzled about how the technology of materials has changed so little in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That’s interesting stuff. I’ve often been puzzled about how the technology of materials has changed so little in my lifetime. 

Most of the process change has been focused on substrate prep from what I've seen

7 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Once in awhile you might see some lazy bastard leaning on a shovel - but nothing ever getting done. Construction delays all summer :flush:

Good points ...

Right,  every time you drive by  10 guys leaning on shovels in a circle. 😂

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Right,  every time you drive by  10 guys leaning on shovels in a circle. 😂

It used to be that way, not so much anymore. There is so much road work these guys have to hustle. Also many big road jobs have performance bonuses so they are pushing to get done early. 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Most of the process change has been focused on substrate prep from what I've seen

If anything, basic road construction techniques have deteriorated. Manhole covers sunk 2-3” below the roads surface. Misaligned curbing. The toad I live is due for complete overhaul next year. New curb, gutter, sewer. I dread to see the fuck ups. 

Edited by spin_dry

• Advertising Member

This article is shit.......here's why.

Most of these suggestions are expensive as hell and don't fix the problem.  Most of what causes a road to fail is what is underneath the surface.  I wont talk bridges because I don't mess with that stuff.  

Porous asphalt exists and will not survive in that region, because of the freeze-thaw.  Rubberized asphalt doesn't work....... we already put some plastic in (vestoplast for example) and they fail early too....... pig shit doesn't make asphalt either.......

I do agree with making the road bases thicker, that part I can get on board with.  Most roads are either too thin, have failed past the point of remediation, or are incorrectly designed (meaning the actual material).  MI would be smart to incorporate more polymer into the mixes up there to help combat the vast temperature swings IMO...... That and allow more RAP into the mixes to drive manufacturing costs down (more lane miles paved on budget).  Just my quick thoughts...... 

• Advertising Member
2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Nope.... help is very hard to hire and retain....