Check your account email address ×

Summer staffing issues for resort areas?

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Pay more, set your prices to cover labor.  Simple.

In high season, hotels in these areas run over $400/night.:true:

You can plan a kayak trip with a group of sewer rats though for next to nothing.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My son did a manager internship at Cedar Point last year. Almost all of the workers under him came from Depressed Caribbean countries.  They work their asses off for three months and go home loaded, because of the exchange rate. 

They always have a lot of hotties working there. Great job for a kid that age.

3 hours ago, ckf said:

Local businesses in resort areas around here are having a hard time finding seasonal employees this summer. They say it is a result of foreign students under the H2B plan having been cut way back this year. One small dairy bay in the lakes region of NH won't be opening until the 3rd week in June this year. Even then they could only find staff to open 4 days a week, Thursday-Sunday. It's the 1st time in 40 years that they haven't been able to find the staff to be open 7 days a week. 

Anyone else in summer tourist areas hearing the same thing?

Up in the Wisconsin dells it's all foreign kids working there. Maybe not this summer eh? Prices are going up!

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

My son did a manager internship at Cedar Point last year. Almost all of the workers under him came from Depressed Caribbean countries.  They work their asses off for three months and go home loaded, because of the exchange rate. 

Jamaicans come here to pick the apples in the fall.

54 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

In high season, hotels in these areas run over $400/night.:true:

You can plan a kayak trip with a group of sewer rats though for next to nothing.

Burke, VT is a big draw for mountain bikers. They come from all over New England and Quebec. They spend next to nothing except at a few key businesses that cater specifically to them.

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

They always have a lot of hotties working there. Great job for a kid that age.

It wasn’t a bad internship. 12.75 a hour, free room and board and a party every night. He could have gone back but wanted to do something different. He picked up a internship in the Handcock building with a executive in the billing dept at a newer tech company. I think I have him hooked up next year at the federal reserve with a internship.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ckf said:

Jamaicans come here to pick the apples in the fall.

Burke, VT is a big draw for mountain bikers. They come from all over New England and Quebec. They spend next to nothing except at a few key businesses that cater specifically to them.

It’s that way in parts of the UP. They pull into town with their lesboroos all packed down with everything they need for the weekend, not spending a dime at the local businesses. I’ve seen them go into bars trying to get free Ice for their coolers? The mountain bike racers are a different story, they stay in hotels,eat out,and drink at the bars.

6 hours ago, Snake said:

Anytime I see that I automatically assume it's Bhen a DUI offender.

Or someone smart enough not to get a DUI.

I love the fact the wife doesn't drink.

I have a DD.

16 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

i see a lot of retired people work  nat parks and surrounding resorts .

have talked with a few that had been doing it for a few yrs and like it ? 

I knew a couple that did that for a few years while traveling the country in their bus conversion coach. They both did volunteer work for the parks The only compensation was a free spot in the campground.

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

I knew a couple that did that for a few years while traveling the country in their bus conversion coach. They both did volunteer work for the parks The only compensation was a free spot in the campground.

yeah I think some of the jobs in the parks pay  . not much but some deff do .

I guess it is better than sitting around the house all day . see a lot of guys retire and go to shit in a hurry to much time with nothing to do 

• Like 1

Just now, Ez ryder said:

yeah I think some of the jobs in the parks pay  . not much but some deff do .

I guess it is better than sitting around the house all day . see a lot of guys retire and go to shit in a hurry to much time with nothing to do 

:iagree:    If you don't use it, you'll lose it.