Check your account email address ×

Waterproof an old boat cover

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I've always used Camp Dry. No idea how it stacks up against others. https://amzn.to/2WnY4HT

Do you always wash whatever you are going to treat? Last time we did the boat cover we didnt wwash it and the waterproofing didnt last to long, Im thinking its because we filied to clean it first.

Just now, Kivalo said:

Do you always wash whatever you are going to treat? Last time we did the boat cover we didnt wwash it and the waterproofing didnt last to long, Im thinking its because we filied to clean it first.

Yes, clean it and let it dry completely before applying whatever you are going to use.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Trying it this year on the pontton cover and it does helps so far but we'll see. It's just to hold me off until this winter and have a new cover made.

I used 303 Fabric Guard

Edited by Skidooski
  • Like 1

I've got my boat in getting a one piece mooring cover made. I'm gonna ask the guy what I'll  have to use on it when the time comes. After I get it back it's going in to get wet sanded/buffed and detailed. Gotta keep the old girl in shape

20190526_091100.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

don't wash it .

every time I have attempted to wash a old canvas sled or boat cover in washing machine  it came apart real bad .

by old less than 12 yrs 

• Gold Member
Just now, Ez ryder said:

don't wash it .

every time I have attempted to wash a old canvas sled or boat cover in washing machine  it came apart real bad .

by old less than 12 yrs 

I was planning on laying over the picnic table and washing it that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

If it has any mildew or mold try to remove it with a scrub brush and a mixture of peroxide & water.

MMR is the best mold stain remover I have ever found hands down . we use it all over . I prob use 8 gal a yr as 

bad ax products out of IL 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
30 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

This stuff works great. I wonder if Rainex makes another option?

:thumb: Good to hear then! I power washed it, let it dry, then sprayed it while in direct sun until the bottle was gone.

• Like 1

I'm sure the 303 stuff is good. They used to have the best UV protection products. We used it on everything from canoes and kayaks to dipping our rental pfd's in a 303 and water solution.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smokin george said:

I've got my boat in getting a one piece mooring cover made. I'm gonna ask the guy what I'll  have to use on it when the time comes. After I get it back it's going in to get wet sanded/buffed and detailed. Gotta keep the old girl in shape

20190526_091100.jpg

I picked mine up Thursday, gave it a wash then a wax and launched it. 

I had this cover made for mine about 3-4 yrs ago now George. It's a one man show. Just hook the front then pull the sides over, hop out of the boat and do the last bit. Takes no time at all and no help required.

5 hours ago, smokin george said:

The frame kit/nylon cover (Navigloo)was worth the money. The snow just slides right off and the interior was completely dry. Pretty easy assembly/disassembly and fits in the included storage bag

Is that Navigloo kit from Costco George? I think I am going to do my own winterizing this fall and either store indoors if I can get a spot or out if I can't. If indoors, obviously I won't need the Navigloo or shrink wrapping but I think my chances are slim?

5 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

MMR is the best mold stain remover I have ever found hands down . we use it all over . I prob use 8 gal a yr as 

bad ax products out of IL 

What is MMR?

I need to clean my cover, especially underneath but I don't know this MMR stuff nor know if it's available up here? 

IMG_0661 (Large).JPG

WP_20190530_16_52_12_Pro.jpg

17 hours ago, irv said:

I picked mine up Thursday, gave it a wash then a wax and launched it. 

I had this cover made for mine about 3-4 yrs ago now George. It's a one man show. Just hook the front then pull the sides over, hop out of the boat and do the last bit. Takes no time at all and no help required.

Is that Navigloo kit from Costco George? I think I am going to do my own winterizing this fall and either store indoors if I can get a spot or out if I can't. If indoors, obviously I won't need the Navigloo or shrink wrapping but I think my chances are slim?

What is MMR?

I need to clean my cover, especially underneath but I don't know this MMR stuff nor know if it's available up here? 

IMG_0661 (Large).JPG

WP_20190530_16_52_12_Pro.jpg

I order it from bad ax out of IL .

I actualy did my boat seats and the back/shaded side of my cabin this weekend .

expensive sort of but who cares when somthing actualy works 

• Thanks 1

Here we go. A guy just passed his TOAR test to operate a 500 ton ship, and he's askin' a snowmobile site, how to waterproof an OLD canvas boat cover!!! LMMFAO!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

500 Fukken tons!!!   Five mother-fukken hundred tons!!! 

Should I put it over my picnic table???? LMMFAO!!!!  :lol2::lol2::lol2: